This is a list of area codes in the Commonwealth of Virginia, with date of establishment in parentheses:
- 276 — Southwest corner of the state including Bristol, Galax, Martinsville, and Wytheville (1 September 2001 as split from 540).
- 434 — South central area including Charlottesville and Lynchburg (1 June 2001 as split from 804).
- 540 — Central and North including Fredericksburg, Roanoke, Warrenton, and Winchester (15 July 1995 as split from 703).
- 571/703 — Northern Virginia including the cities of Alexandria, Fairfax, and Falls Church as well as Arlington, Fairfax, and Loudoun counties (703 created October 1947 as original area code for Virginia; 571 created as overlay 1 March 2000)
- 757 — Hampton Roads region and Southeast corner including Hampton, Newport News, Williamsburg, Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Chesapeake, Portsmouth, and the Eastern Shore on the Delmarva Peninsula (1 July 1996 as split from 804).
- 804 — Eastern Central Virginia the Northern Neck, and the Middle Peninsula including Mechanicsville, Petersburg, and Richmond (24 June 1973 as split from 703).