This is a list of cases that appeared before the Supreme Court of the United States involving the First Amendment to the United States Constitution.
The establishment of religion
Standing to sue
- Flast v. Cohen (1968)
- Valley Forges and people Christian College v. Americans United for Separation of Church and State (1982)
Tax exemption to religious institutions
Religion in public education
Prayer in public schools
Teaching of creationism in public schools
Religious institution functioning as a government agency
Unequal government treatment of religious groups
The free exercise of religion
Religion and the right to work
- Sherbert v. Verner (1963)
- Trans World Airlines v. Hardison (1977)
- Ohio Civil Rights Commission v. Dayton Christian Schools (1986)
- Corporation of the Presiding Bishop of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints v. Amos (1987)
- Employment Division v. Smith (1990)
Religious tests for public service or benefits
Free exercise and free speech
Free exercise and public education
Free Exercise and public property
Solicitation by religious groups
Free exercise and eminent domain
Ritual sacrifice of animals
Government intervention in church controversies
Sedition and imminent danger
Fighting words and the heckler's veto
Freedom of assembly and public forums
Time, place and manner
Cases concerning restrictions on the time, place, and manner of speech
Loyalty oaths and affirmations
Speech by students in public secondary schools (for cases involving teachers' free-speech rights, see Public employees, below).
Cases concerned with the definition of obscenity and whether a particular work or type of material is obscene.
As criminal offense
Appeals of criminal convictions for possessing, selling or distributing obscenity that focused on that issue
Search, seizure and forfeiture
Cases involving the search and seizure of allegedly obscene material
Civil and administrative regulation
Cases dealing with civil and administrative regulatory procedures aimed at suppressing or restricting obscenity, such as film-licensing boards or zoning regulations.
Cases involving laws meant to restrict obscenity online
Cases about restrictions on speech by third parties funded by the government.
Speech by public employees
Political activity and Hatch Act
Freedom of the press
Prior restraints and censorship
Taxation and privileges
Freedom of association
- The Oxford Companion to the Supreme Court of the United States. Kermit L. Hall, ed.
- The Oxford Guide to United States Supreme Court Decisions. Kermit L. Hall, ed.
- Alley, Robert S. (1999). The Constitution & Religion: Leading Supreme Court Cases on Church and State. Amherst, NY: Prometheus Books. ISBN 1-57392-703-1.
|Fighting words and|
the heckler's veto
|Freedom of assembly|
and public forums
and similar laws
|Licensing and restriction of speech|
|Campaign finance and|