This is a list of the largest shopping centres in the United Kingdom, listed by size in square metres (m²). Only centres of over 70,000m² of space are listed. Some of these are out-of-town centres, while others are part of a city or town centre shopping district, which in almost all cases also includes many stores not part of the shopping centre. Many city and town centre shopping districts not represented on this list are larger than some of the centres listed. The largest shopping district in the United Kingdom is London's West End, which does not contain any large shopping centres but has 6,600,000 square feet (608,000 m²) of retail space in its three main shopping streets (Bond Street, Oxford Street, and Regent Street) plus substantial additional space in adjacent streets. Note that this list only takes into account retail size as opposed to total size.
|Rank||Name||Town/city and county||Region||Size (m²)||Annual visitors|
|1st||MetroCentre||Gateshead, Tyne and Wear||North East England||194,000||23 million (2010)|
|2nd||Trafford Centre||Trafford, Greater Manchester||North West England||185,000||35 million+ (2010)|
|3rd||Westfield Stratford City||Stratford, London||Greater London||175,000|
|4th||Bluewater||Dartford, Kent||South East England||155,700||27 million (2010)|
|5th||Westfield London||Shepherd's Bush, London||Greater London||149,461||23 million (2009)|
|6th||Manchester Arndale||Manchester, Greater Manchester||North West England||148,600||40 million (2011)|
|7th||Westfield Merry Hill||Dudley, West Midlands||West Midlands||140,800||23.5 million|
|8th||Meadowhall||Sheffield, South Yorkshire||Yorkshire and the Humber||139,355||25 million|
|9th||Lakeside||Thurrock, Essex||East||133,180||25 million|
|10th||Liverpool One||Liverpool, Merseyside||North West||130,060||24.6 million (2010)|
|11th||St. David's||Cardiff, Wales||Wales||129,549||38 million (2011/2012)|
|12th||Bullring||Birmingham, West Midlands||West Midlands||127,100,||40 million (2011)|
|13th||Eldon Square||Newcastle, Tyne and Wear||North East England||125,459|
|14th||thecentre:mk||Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire||South East||120,773||27 million (2010)|
|15th||Westfield Derby||Derby, Derbyshire||East Midlands||120,579||25 million (2010)|
|16th||Whitgift||Croydon, London||Greater London||111,000|
|17th||East Kilbride Shopping Centre||East Kilbride, Lanarkshire||Scotland||106,030|
|18th||Highcross||Leicester||East Midlands||105,000||18.5 million (2009-10)|
|19th||Kingfisher||Redditch, Worcestershire||West Midlands||102,000|
|20th||Telford Shopping Centre||Telford, Shropshire||West Midlands||100,000|
|22nd||Festival Place||Basingstoke, Hampshire||South East||102,000|
|23rd||Cabot Circus||Bristol||South West||96,200|
|24th||The Mall at Cribbs Causeway||Bristol||South West||95,225|
|25th||Trinity Leeds||Leeds||West Yorkshire||92,903|
|26th||The Centre||Livingston, West Lothian||Scotland||92,900|
|27th||Victoria Centre||Nottingham||East Midlands||91,140|
|28th||Silverburn Centre||Pollok, Glasgow||Scotland||91,100|
|29th||Brent Cross||Hendon, London||Greater London||82,800|
|30th||Frenchgate Centre||Doncaster, South Yorkshire||Yorkshire and the Humber||82,000|
|32nd||Cwmbran Shopping Centre||Cwmbran, Torfaen||Wales||79,000|
|33rd||Eden||High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire||South East||79,000|
|34th||Centrale||Croydon, London||Greater London||76,180|
|35th||WestQuay||Southampton, Hampshire||South East||75,600|
|36th||Victoria Square||Belfast||Northern Ireland||75,000|
|37th||The Oracle||Reading, Berkshire||South East||70,700|
|38th||The Mall Arndale||Luton, Bedfordshire||East||70,100|
- ^ http://www.crossrail.co.uk/company/communications-centre/press-releases/crossrail-planning-briefs-for-bond-street-paddington-and-tottenham-court-road-approved---westminster-city-council-release
- ^ CSC, Capital Shopping Centres Circular, p. 40. Total area "including retail park" is 194,000 sq m (Capital Shopping Centres, 2010).
- ^ "£5m Metrocentre revamp to make 230 jobs". http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north-east-news/evening-chronicle-news/2011/02/24/5m-metrocentre-revamp-to-make-230-jobs-72703-28228093/. "Capital Shopping Centres (CSC), which owns both Metrocentre and Metro Retail Park, would like to transform the old Esso petrol station site with a range of food and drink outlets to tempt its 23 million annual visitors and 7,000 staff."
- ^ "Portfolio". Capital Shopping Centres. http://www.capital-shopping-centres.co.uk/about/portfolio/. Retrieved 17 June 2011.
- ^ "Tills keep ringing". http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/00102cbc-12ae-11e0-b4c8-00144feabdc0.html#axzz1S2Lrpmx7.
- ^ ""Westfield Group Property Portfolio: Stratford City Overview"". Westfield UK. http://www.westfield.com/corporate/property-portfolio/united-kingdom/stratfordcity.html. Retrieved 14 September 2011.
- ^ "Briefing Note PDF". Land Securities. http://www.gravesham.gov.uk/democracy/Published/C00000106/M00000882/AI00004180/BriefingNote.pdf. Retrieved 20 June 2010.
- ^ "Bluewater Shopping Mall Says Annual Visitors Reach 28.1 Million". http://www.businessweek.com/news/2011-01-02/bluewater-shopping-mall-says-annual-visitors-reach-28-1-million.html.
- ^ "Westfield Property Portfolio - Westfield London". Westfield Group. http://www.westfield.com/corporate/property-portfolio/united-kingdom/london.html. Retrieved 2012-03-22.
- ^ "Westfield has 23m visitors in first year". http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard-business/article-23838819-westfield-has-23m-visitors-in-first-year.do.
- ^ "Portfolio analysis - 7. Arndale, Manchester". Capital Shopping Centre. http://www.capital-shopping-centres.co.uk/about/portfolio/. Retrieved 12 July 2011.
- ^ "Manchester Arndale hits 40 millionth customer". cityco.com. 3 January 2012. http://www.cityco.com/news/2012/jan/3/manchester-arndale-hits-40-millionth-customer/. Retrieved 2012-01-05.
- ^ "Westfield Property Portfolio - Merry Hill". Westfield Group. http://www.westfield.com/corporate/property-portfolio/united-kingdom/merryhill.html. Retrieved 2012-03-22. "The 140,800-sqare-metre shopping centre houses more than 250 stores"
- ^ "Portfolio - Westfield Merry Hill". http://www.westfield.com/corporate/property-portfolio/united-kingdom/merryhill.html. "Annual Customer Visits - 23.5 million p.a. pa (approx)"
- ^ 
- ^ Ruddick, Graham (4 January 2011). "British Land, London & Stamford consider Meadowhall expansion". Daily Telegraph. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/constructionandproperty/8237429/British-Land-London-and-Stamford-consider-Meadowhall-expansion.html. "Meadowhall in Sheffield boasts 1.4m sq ft of retail space and 250 stores, attracting more than 25m visitors every year"
- ^ Liberty International, 2008, and CSC, Lakeside.
- ^ "Lakeside Shopping Centre development could create jobs". BBC. 1 March 2011. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-12607749. "The centre attracts 25 million visitors a year"
- ^ Liverpool Paradise Street Development Area - liverpool one
- ^ "Liverpool Vision". http://www.liverpoolvision.co.uk/Press/Liverpool_One_backs_the_Liverpool_Embassy_in_London.aspx. "Liverpool is now attracting more people from further afield, as shoppers and tourists experience its rejuvenation first hand. Over 24.6m visitors during 2010."
- ^ CSC, St David's brochure, p. 8.
- ^ Template:BBC NEWS
- ^ a b c Hammerson, 2009, p. 114.
- ^ "BullRing Birmingham". Hammerson. http://www.hammerson.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=133289&p=prop-cs-bullring. Retrieved 16 January 2012.
- ^ "Shopping Centres - Eldon". Capital Shopping Centres. http://www.capital-shopping-centres.co.uk/shopping_centres/csc/eldon_square/. Retrieved 2012-03-21.
- ^ Trevor Wood, 2008. "1,300,000 sq ft". If the figure for Midsummer Place, a separate centre adjoining thecentre:mk, is included, the floor area would be 166,000 m² (thecentre:mk, Facts and Figures (archived 1 Feb 2008), "1.79m sq ft (GLA)").
- ^ "Facts and Figures - thecentre:mk". http://www.thecentremk.com/Generic-Pages/About-Us/Facts-and-Figures. "With thecentre:mk boasting around 27 million visits per annum and a number new lettings over last year - shopping just gets better"
- ^ "City reclaims highest ranking in league table of top UK shopping destinations". thisisbusiness-eastmidlands.co.uk. 22 June 2011. http://www.thisisbusiness-eastmidlands.co.uk/news/City-reclaims-highest-ranking-league-table-UK-shopping-destinations/article-3670371-detail/article.html.
- ^ "Westfield mulls Croydon Whitgift shopping centre move". BBC News. 10 November 2011. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-15678692. Retrieved 2012-03-21. "Plans have also been drawn up to revamp the centre of Croydon over the next few years, including the area around the Whitgift, which is 1.2m sq ft (111,484 sq m) in size."
- ^ Trevor Wood, 2008. "1,190,000 sq ft".
- ^ "Highcross Leicester celebrates first birthday". http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk. 4 September 2009. http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/Highcross-Leicester-celebrates-birthday/story-12067682-detail/story.html.
- ^ Trevor Wood, 2008. "1,000,000 sq ft".
- ^ "Telford - A Unique New Town". Transforming Telford. http://www.transformingtelford.co.uk/_library/download/www/Files/Transforming%20Telford.pdf. Retrieved 2008-03-22.
- ^ Liberty International, 2008, and CSC, Braehead. "including retail park".
- ^ Grosvenor
- ^ Hammerson, 2009, p. 115 and 116. The owners also own nearby shops with an area of 33,800 sq m.
- ^ CSC, The Mall at Cribbs Causeway. The company also owns a nearby retail park with an area of 22,761 sq m.
- ^ "Trinity Leeds". Trinity Leeds. http://www.landsecuritiesretail.com/portfolio/Trinity-Leeds. Retrieved 2012-09-19.
- ^ Livingston shopping centre to reveal Elements Square extension, Retail Week, 14 October 2008. "just under 1 million sq ft".
- ^ Liberty International, 2008, and CSC, Victoria Centre.
- ^ a b c Hammerson, 2009, p. 115.
- ^ Hammerson, 2009, p. 116.
- ^ Key Note, 2008, p. 15.
- ^ Mall Corporation, The Mall Arndale - Luton. "755,000 sq ft".
- Hammerson plc, Annual Report 2009. This report records the net internal area of each of their main properties. Information is also shown in the All Properties section of their website, but that may not be as up-to-date.
- Key Note, Market Assessment 2008: Shopping Centres, ISBN 978-1-84729-231-5.
- Liberty International PLC, Annual report 2008. Page 4 records the size of each centre. This information is also shown in the CSC (Capital Shopping Centres PLC) website.
- The Mall Corporation Ltd, Our Malls. This section of their business website shows the size of each centre.
- Trevor Wood, Going Shopping 2008: The Definitive Guide to Shopping Centres, Trevor Wood Associates. The top 20 UK shopping centres for overall attractiveness to shoppers, retailers and investors are listed in the executive summary.
- Westfield Group, Annual Report 2009. Page 21 records the lettable area of each centre. Information is also shown in the United Kingdom Property Portfolio section of their website, but that may not be as up-to-date.