Construction of Belton Dam on the Leon River began in 1947 and was completed in 1954. Belton Lake took less than two years to fill up and nearly overflowed in 1957. In October 1993 the Miller Springs Nature Center was constructed along the Leon River just downstream of Belton Dam.
Parks and Nature Centers
Miller Springs Nature Center - The nature center is located on both banks of the Leon River just downstream of Belton Dam. It consists of nearly 11 miles of trails winding amongst canyon, upland, prairie and riparian habitats. The hiking and biking trails in the nature center are enjoyed by hikers, bikers, joggers, birders and all kinds of nature enthusiasts. There is also good access to the Leon River for canoers and kayakers. It is currently operated by the non-profit Miller Springs Alliance, an organization made up entirely of volunteers. It is accessible from the Belton side of Belton Dam, via the Park Road off of Highway FM 439 (Lake Road), and from the Temple side, via the Nature Center entrance, off of Highway FM 2271 at the north end of Belton Dam.