Leavenworth Plaza is an open air shopping center in Leavenworth, Kansas. Opened in 1967, the mall was originally anchored by J.C. Penney, Montgomery Ward and Safeway. Duckwall-ALCO Retail Stores added a store in 1972.
Montgomery Ward became Sears in 1987. A movie theater was added in 1993 after Duckwall-ALCO closed. J.C. Penney closed in 2003, and Sears later closed as well. The mall's original owners, Copaken, White & Blitt, sold it to Colliers Turley Martin Tucker in 2008. The movie theater closed in 2010, at which point more than half of the mall was vacant.
- ^ "Kansas". Chain store age, executives edition combined with Shopping center age 48 (1-6): E6. 1972. http://books.google.com/books?ei=UmcTTrTJCIjV0QGV1f3xCQ&ct=result&id=8eESAQAAMAAJ&dq=%22leavenworth+plaza%22+%22montgomery+ward%22&q=%22leavenworth+plaza%22#search_anchor.
- ^ "Sears to open new store on Leavenworth mall". St. Joseph News-Press. November 2, 1986. http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=AExkAAAAIBAJ&sjid=iHQNAAAAIBAJ&pg=4530,804730&dq=leavenworth-plaza+sears&hl=en. Retrieved 5 July 2011.
- ^ Butler, Robert (September 5, 1993). "A little sense can make movie violence worthwile". The Kansas City Star. http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Archives?p_product=KC&p_theme=kc&p_action=search&p_maxdocs=200&p_topdoc=1&p_text_direct-0=0EAF3F8E5D17D52C&p_field_direct-0=document_id&p_perpage=10&p_sort=YMD_date:D&s_trackval=GooglePM. Retrieved 5 July 2011.
- ^ Bormann, Dawn (September 17, 2003). "Penney's to close in January Leavenworth store, open since 1920, cites poor sales". The Kansas City Star. http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Archives?p_product=KC&p_theme=kc&p_action=search&p_maxdocs=200&p_topdoc=1&p_text_direct-0=0FDA10AA20B09BF6&p_field_direct-0=document_id&p_perpage=10&p_sort=YMD_date:D&s_trackval=GooglePM. Retrieved 5 July 2011.
- ^ "New York firm buys Leavenworth shopping center". Kansas City Business Journal. February 14, 2008. http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/stories/2008/02/11/daily30.html. Retrieved 5 July 2011.
- ^ "Shopping center – and community – suffer a hit". Leavenworth Times. August 28, 2010. http://www.leavenworthtimes.com/opinions/x1350689547/Shopping-center-and-community-suffer-a-hit. Retrieved 5 July 2011.