Lake View Cemetery was founded in 1869 and sits on 285 acres (1.15 km2) of land.:98 The cemetery is so named because it is partially located in the "heights" area of Greater Cleveland, with a view of Lake Erie to the north. It was modeled after the great garden cemeteries of Victorian era England and France. The Italian stonemasons brought in to create the Cemetery founded the Cleveland neighborhood of Little Italy just to its southwest.
The James A. Garfield Memorial is the most prominent point of interest at Lake View Cemetery. The ornate interior features a large marble statue, stained glass, bas relief, and various historical relics from Garfield's life and presidency. The monument also serves as a scenic observation deck and picnic area. President and Mrs. Garfield are entombed in the lower level crypt, their coffins placed side by side and visible to cemetery visitors.
Another prominent structure in the cemetery is the Wade Chapel. A small-but-magnificent chapel with Tiffany windows and elaborate Biblically-inspired mosaics on the walls, the edifice is still used for small weddings and located north and down the hill from the Garfield monument. Behind the chapel is a large pond. A smaller and very well known memorial, the Angel of Death Victorious at the gravesite of the Haserot family, was created by sculptor Herman Matzen.
Eliot Ness, detective, investigator and Cleveland safety director best known member of The Untouchables (Ness's ashes and those of his wife Elizabeth and son Robert were scattered over a pond in the cemetery. A memorial marker stands nearby.)
Andrew Novick, leading urologist and researcher, pioneer of nephron-sparing surgery in kidney cancer, established the Glickman Urological and Kidney Institute at the Cleveland Clinic