From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - View original article
Built during the late 1960s and early 1970s amid a housing construction boom in the area, the lake is surrounded by private housing for the most part, with a small shopping district on the north side and some office buildings, a Lutheran church in the center, a synagogue, and another small shopping corridor along the district's southeast corner.
The neighborhood contains the Lindero Country Club, Lindero Canyon Middle School, and Yerba Buena Elementary School.
The district's synagogue has become a major center of Jewish culture in the area, and every Sabbath local Orthodox Jews can be seen walking to and from the synagogue along major roads throughout Agoura Hills.
The Reyes Adobe museum is located in the eastern part of the Lake Lindero district. The historic Reyes Adobe Museum (c. 1820), from the Rancho Las Virgenes, owned by the Los Angeles County Parks and Recreation Department, was built in the mid-2000s around the site of the old adobe. Today, it is a popular tourist attraction.
The Lake Lindero property was previously owned by C.L. "Kelly" Johnson, of Lockheed Corp. fame (he was the VP of the Advanced Products Division, also known as the "Skunk Works" in Burbank, Ca.) from the early 1940s to the early 1960s. When he and his wife, Althea, bought the property, it was called "Lindero Ranch." They ranched the property and had a home on the now cropped hill where now Penrod Drive ends.
They sold the ranch in 1962, and "The developer initially built 746 homes on the ranch after we sold it. He dug a lake near the Ventura Freeway and called the new community Lake Lindero."