From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - View original article
The Lake George Steamboat Company was incorporated in 1817 to operate steamboats on Lake George, New York. With the exception of the year 1949, it has never ceased to operate its service. The company operates steamboats that run the full length of Lake George between Ticonderoga at the north end of the lake and the village of Lake George at the south end of the lake.
James Caldwell, founder of the village of Caldwell (later Lake George) on the south end of Lake George was one of the company's founders. The Company’s first steamboat, the James Caldwell, was launched in 1817 and burned in 1821. In 1823, the Company launched the Mountaineer, its second steamship. Since then, the Company purchased, built, expanded and/or retrofitted nearly a dozen steamboats, including the Mohican II, listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2010. In 1927, the company opened the Crandall Marine Railway. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2011.
The Lake George Steamboat Company currently operates three boats: The Minne-Ha-Ha (meaning laughing waters) is the last steamboat operating on Lake George; the Mohican II, which has been in continuous service for over 100 years; and the Lac Du Saint Sacrament, the largest and most luxurious of the three. All three ships are available for sightseeing cruises.