From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - View original article
Lake George is an unincorporated community in Lincoln Township, Clare County in the U.S. state of Michigan. The town is at the northern end of Lake George at . The Lake George ZIP code 48633 provides P.O. Box service to an area on the northern side of Lake George. In the 2000 census, the 48633 ZIP Code Tabulation Area had a population of 65.
Lake George began as a lumber settlement founded by George Lake and named for him. It was a station on the Toledo, Ann Arbor and North Michigan Railway and a post office was established on December 8, 1899 with Edward J. Roys as the first postmaster.
The area is mostly wooded land with a variety of wildlife, including white-tail deer, wild turkey, pheasant, and other game animals. Fishing is very popular in the area with numerous lakes (10 within a 10 mile radius) containing largemouth bass, perch, bluegill, sunfish, pike, musky, bullhead catfish, and rock bass.
The population of the area is somewhat mixed; this includes the original pioneer families, and the tourists who stay there during the summer season in lodges and rented cabins. There are very few jobs in the area, therefore workers commute to places as far as the Midland area.
The town has a large pub (Swiss Inn more commonly known as the Swizzle), a restaurant (It used to be a Bait Shop owned and ran by James Luce and his wife Margaret), and a few small stores.
The old train Depot now a Party Store is the oldest building in town, it is said that the depot was the only building left standing after two trains crashed on July 19, 1925 (http://www.michiganrailroads.com/RRHX/Wrecks/ICCReports/AARR-LakeGeorgeMI-1925.pdf).
|This Michigan state location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|