Kfar Masaryk

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - View original article

Kfar Masaryk
כְּפַר מַסָּרִיק
Kfar Masaryk in February, 2008.
Kfar Masaryk in February, 2008.
Kfar Masaryk is located in Israel
Kfar Masaryk
Kfar Masaryk
Coordinates: 32°53′26.87″N 35°5′58.91″E / 32.8907972°N 35.0996972°E / 32.8907972; 35.0996972Coordinates: 32°53′26.87″N 35°5′58.91″E / 32.8907972°N 35.0996972°E / 32.8907972; 35.0996972
CouncilMateh Asher
RegionWestern Galilee
AffiliationKibbutz Movement
Founded29 November 1938
Founded byEastern European Jews
Name meaningMasaryk Village
Websitewww.kfar-masaryk.org.il
 
Jump to: navigation, search
Kfar Masaryk
כְּפַר מַסָּרִיק
Kfar Masaryk in February, 2008.
Kfar Masaryk in February, 2008.
Kfar Masaryk is located in Israel
Kfar Masaryk
Kfar Masaryk
Coordinates: 32°53′26.87″N 35°5′58.91″E / 32.8907972°N 35.0996972°E / 32.8907972; 35.0996972Coordinates: 32°53′26.87″N 35°5′58.91″E / 32.8907972°N 35.0996972°E / 32.8907972; 35.0996972
CouncilMateh Asher
RegionWestern Galilee
AffiliationKibbutz Movement
Founded29 November 1938
Founded byEastern European Jews
Name meaningMasaryk Village
Websitewww.kfar-masaryk.org.il

Kfar Masaryk (Hebrew: כְּפַר מַסָּרִיק, lit. Masaryk Village) is a kibbutz in northern Israel. Located in the western Galilee near the Belus River and south of Acre, it falls under the jurisdiction of Mateh Asher Regional Council. In 2006 it had a population of 598.

The founders were immigrants from Czechoslovakia and Lithuania and had settled in Petah Tikva in 1932. The following year they formed "Kibbutz Czecho-Lita" and moved to Bat Galim in Haifa. In 1934 they moved to an area of sand dunes near Kiryat Haim and changed the name of the group to "Mishmar Zevulun" (Guard of the Zevulun). In 1937 they were joined by a group of Polish immigrants who were members of Hayotzer.

Despite opposition from the Jewish Agency (who reasoned that the sandy soil could not support agriculture), Mishmar Zevulun was established on 29 November 1938 as the 29th tower and stockade settlement. In 1940 the kibbutz moved to its present site and was renamed Kfar Masaryk after Tomáš Garrigue Masaryk, the first President of Czechoslovakia

External links[edit]