Kenneth "Kenny" Smith (born March 8, 1965) is a retired American professional basketball player who played in the National Basketball Association. He currently works as a TV basketball analyst, primarily for Inside the NBA on TNT.
Smith was born in Jamaica, Queens, New York, and attended Archbishop Molloy, where he was coached by the legendary Jack Curran, the winningest coach in New York City and New York State history. Smith graduated in 1983 and then played basketball at the University of North Carolina for Dean Smith. In his young career he played for the New York Riverside Church.
Smith was selected by the Sacramento Kings with the sixth pick of the 1987 NBA Draft. He played in the NBA from 1987 to 1997 as a member of the Sacramento Kings, Atlanta Hawks, Houston Rockets, Detroit Pistons, Orlando Magic, and Denver Nuggets. In his professional career, Smith scored 9,397 points and recorded 4,073 assists. He won two NBA championships with the Rockets in 1994 and 1995. In the first game of the 1995 Finals against the Orlando Magic, Smith made seven three-pointers, including a game-tying shot which sent the game into overtime. The Rockets won the game 120–118.
Off the court
Smith joined Turner Sports in 1998. He has teamed with Ernie Johnson, Jr., Charles Barkley, and Shaquille O'Neal on Inside the NBA, a winner of the Sports Emmy Award for Outstanding Studio Show. He occasionally appears on NBA TV as an analyst. He also served a stint as an analyst for the MSG Network's broadcasts of New York Knicks games from 2005-08, and has worked as an analyst for CBS/Turner during the NCAA Men's Division I Basketball Tournament.
Smith married model Gwendolyn Osborne on September 8, 2006. His wife is a model on The Price Is Right.
NBA career statistics
A list of Smith's career statistics:
- ^ "Kenny Smith." www.basketball-reference.com. Retrieved on January 28, 2010.
- ^ "The 60 Greatest Playoff Moments: Honorable Mention." www.nba.com. Retrieved on January 28, 2010.
- ^ "Kenny Smith.' www.tnt.tv. Retrieved on January 28, 2010.
- ^ Reid Cherner. "Chemistry, characters carry NBA show above pack." USA Today, April 8, 2007. Retrieved on January 29, 2010.
- ^ 'Gwendolyn Osborne, a Barker beauty on the Price is Right, wed former NBA Star Kenny "the Jet" Smith.' www.prweb.com, September 8, 2006. Retrieved March 28, 2010.
- ^ Smith's career stats. ESPN.com