From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - View original article
The The Katarina Lift (Swedish: Katarinahissen) is a passenger elevator in Stockholm that connects Slussen (the lock area) to the heights of Södermalm. The lift has been closed since 2010 due to lack of security in the construction. The lift was a shortcut between Katarinavägen, Slussen and Mosebacke torg. The original lift was constructed in 1881, but the current structure dates from the rebuilding of the Slussen transport interchange in 1935.
Year 1881 the engineer Knut Lindmark, was permitted to build a lift and a bridge between Stadsgården and Mosebacke Torg (Swedish: Mosebacke square), to make it easier for people to move between the different heights of Södermalm. The lift was opened March the 19th 1883. During the first month approximately 1500 passangers rode the lift daily. The price was 5 öre for going up and 3 öre for going the lift at that time.
The lift and bridge was constructed by the Belgian firm Lecoq & Comp. But the original lift mecanics came from the American firm Weeks & Halsey. It was orininally driven by a steam engine but was in 1915 replaced by an electric engine.
|This engineering-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|