The Kansas City Public Library is a public system headquartered in the Central Library in Kansas City, Missouri.
The system operates its Central Branch and neighborhood branches located in Kansas City, Independence, and Sugar Creek. Founded in 1873, it is the oldest and third largest public library system in the metropolitan Kansas City area.
Its special collections, housed in the Central Library's Missouri Valley Room, has a collection of Kansas City local history, including original and published materials, news articles, post cards, photographs, maps, and city directories dating from the community's earliest history. The Library's Ramos Collection includes books, pamphlets, journal articles and other materials relating to African-American history and culture.
"The Community Bookshelf [Central Library Parking Garage] is a striking feature of Kansas City's downtown. It runs along the south wall of the Central Library's parking garage on 10th Street between Wyandotte Street and Baltimore Avenue. The book spines, which measure approximately 25 feet by 9 feet, are made of signboard mylar. The shelf showcases 22 titles reflecting a wide variety of reading interests as suggested by Kansas City readers and then selected by The Kansas City Public Library Board of Trustees."
This structure routinely appears on the email list of UNIQUE BUILDINGS IN THE WORLD. For photo go to: http://www.kclibrary.org/?q=community-bookshelf
- Central - 14 West 10th Street
- L.H. Bluford - 3050 Prospect Avenue
- North-East - 6000 Wilson Road
- Plaza - 4801 Main Street
- I.H. Ruiz - 2017 West Pennway Street
- Southeast - 6242 Swope Parkway
- Sugar Creek - 102 South Sterling Avenue - (Sugar Creek)
- Trails West - 11401 East 23rd Street - (Independence)
- Waldo - 201 East 75th Street
- Westport - 118 Westport Road
- ^ "Contact us." Kansas City Public Library. Retrieved on January 20, 2011. "The Kansas City Public Library 14 West 10th Street Kansas City, MO 64105."
- ^ "Hours & locations." Kansas City Public Library. Retrieved on January 20, 2011. "Central Library 14 West 10th Street Kansas City, MO 64105."
Coordinates: 39°06′10″N 94°35′02″W / 39.1027°N 94.5839°W