Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center, formerly known as Francis Scott Key Medical Center, and previously as Baltimore City Hospitals is a hospital and medical office center in East Baltimore. Its name is frequently abbreviated as JHBMC.
Founded in 1773, the Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center has a long, distinguished history of service and medical excellence. It is one of the oldest, continuous health care institutions on the East Coast. From its inception as the "Baltimore County and Town Almshouse", it evolved, later known as the "Bayview Asylum" on the western city limits off Eastern Avenue and, eventually, a municipal hospital named "The Baltimore City Hospitals" (not to be confused with an institution of a similar name at North Calvert and East Saratoga Streets, in downtown (near present St. Paul Street/Place and "Preston Gardens") later run by the "Sisters of Mercy" from 1870 to 1874, working with a dispensary run by the former Washington Medical College and the College of Physicians and Surgeons which merged under the Sisters' direction to form a Baltimore City Hospital, which later became Mercy Hospital and today (2013), Mercy Medical Center) . In 1984, the City of Baltimore transferred ownership of the long-established Baltimore City Hospitals to The Johns Hopkins Hospital and The Johns Hopkins University, who renamed it, the "Francis Scott Key Medical Center", which name it carried for a decade.
"Johns Hopkins Bayview" has more than 550 beds and is home to one of Maryland's most comprehensive neonatal intensive care units, a sleep disorders center, an area-wide trauma center, the state's only regional burn center and a wide variety of nationally recognized post-acute care and geriatrics programs.