Joe DiPietro (born 1961 or 1960) is an American playwright and author.
Born in Teaneck, New Jersey, DiPietro grew up in nearby Oradell. Son of the banker Lou, and Jean DiPietro. He attended Oradell Public School and River Dell Regional High School. He graduated Phi Beta Kappa from Rutgers University in 1984 with a bachelor's degree in English. Wrote the book and lyrics for the long running off-Broadway show I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change.
- 2010 Nice Work If You Can Get It (Broadway) (book) which is a version of "They All Laughed"
- 2008 The Toxic Avenger book and lyrics with music by David Bryan of Bon Jovi, based on the movie
- 2008 Fucking Men, an adaptation of Schnitzler's La Ronde (1897)
- 2005 All Shook Up (Broadway) (book)
- 2004 Allegro (adaptation of -, writer)
- 2003 Memphis (book and lyrics) with music by David Bryan of Bon Jovi
- 2003 The Thing About Men (Off-Broadway) (book, lyrics) (musical version of the German comedy film by Doris Dörrie, Männer... (Men...), from 1985)music by Jimmy Roberts
- 2002 Babes in Arms (adaptation of -, writer)
- 2001 They All Laughed (book) (a very loose adaptation of Oh, Kay!) 
- 1999 Art Of Murder (author)
- 1998 Kiss At City Hall (author)
- 1996 I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change (Off-Broadway) (book and lyrics) with composer Jimmy Roberts
- 1994 Over The River And Through The Woods (Off-Broadway) (author )
- 1994 The Virgin Weeps (author) 
- 1991 Love Lemmings (author, lyricist) 
Awards and nominations
- Tony Award 2010: Best Original Score Written for the Theatre - Memphis (winner)
- Tony Award 2010: Best Book of a Musical - Memphis (winner)
- The Drama League 2010: Distinguished Production of a Musical (Book and Lyrics by Joe DiPietro) - Memphis (nominee)
- Drama Desk Award 2010: Outstanding Book of a Musical - Memphis (nominee)
- Outer Critics Circle 2010: Outstanding New Score - Memphis (winner)
- 2000 Edgar Award: Best Mystery Play - The Art of Murder
- William Inge Theater Festival New Voices In American Theater Award
- O'Neill National Playwright's Conference MacArthur Award for comic writing 
- ^ Tallmer, Jerry (July 4–10, 1998). "Eleven years running, just perfect, why change?". The Villager. http://www.thevillager.com/villager_218/elevenyearsrunning.html. Retrieved 2008-02-16.
- ^ I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change., retrieved 2011-01-28.
- ^ Giving Allegro a heart transplant - The Washington Times
- ^ Ouzounian, Richard, Richard. "Toxic Avenger found his bard in Bon Jov: iBand's David Bryan just wants people to sing the songs he writes", Toronto Star, December 6, 2009. Accessed December 6, 2009. "He got a crash course in how to do it when he met up with Joe DiPietro, another Jersey boy (this one from Teaneck)."
- ^ THEATER; New Musical Headed For American Stage - The New York Times
- ^ Playbill News: A Perfect Love
- ^ a b Klein, Alvin (October 11, 1998). "IN PERSON; Family, Faith, Food and Fun". The New York Times. http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9507EEDF133BF932A25753C1A96E958260. Retrieved 2008-02-16.
- ^ Doubling Down With Joe DiPietro; 2 of his shows open in area - Daily News
- ^ Joe DiPietro To Open Newest Play In UK 5/16, Broadwayworld, May 15, 2008
- ^ THEATER; A Not-So-New Gershwin Musical - New York Times
- ^ doollee.com The Playwrights Database
- ^ Playbill Biography: JOE DiPIETRO
- ^ Lortel Archives, provides a catalogue of shows produced Off-Broadway.
- ^ R&H Theatricals, biography Joe DiPietro