Isla Grande, today also known as the Convention Center District, and formerly known as Miraflores and is roughly bounded by Miramar, the Condado Lagoon, the Dominicci Airport of Isla Grande (SIG) and the Port of San Juan. Isla Grande is located in the district of Santurce.
This western section of Santurce used to be a military base of the United States Navy during World War II. The San Juan Naval Air Station, located next to the San Juan Harbor, was a prime installation for five patrol squadrons of seaplanes, a defense-housing project and a major dry dock facility with shops, storehouses, fuel storage and other support centers. In recent years, the neighborhood has undergone a revitalization, becoming cosmopolitan revival zone for the 21st century.
Army National Guard Aviation Support Facility
The Puerto Rico Army National Guard (PRANG) Aviation Support Facility in Isla Verde is right next to the Fernando Luis Ribas Dominicci Airport. It's mission is to support the Puerto Rico Army National Guard Aviation Units and U.S. Army South (USARSO) operations in the caribbean. Some of the military aircraft at this facility are the UH72 Lakota and the UH-60 Blackhawk helicopters.
There are several century old commercial façades still standing-up.
- The Sheraton Hotel of Puerto Rico at I200 Convention Boulevard became the first building in the Caribbean Basin to be LEED-certified by of the U.S. Green Building Council. This building complex is distinguished for fulfilling all the requirements of a LEED certified hotel with electrical models, recycling, disposal of construction materials, and the use of local and recycled materials. The hotel also runs with environmental rules involving energy consumption, quality and filtration of air, green cleaning detergents and materials, and a controlled laundry process designed to maximize the use of natural resources.
- Puerto Rico Convention Center
- Dominicci Airport of Isla Grande (SIG)
- Equestrian School of Isla Grande
- Fireman Academy of Isla Grande
- The Fragile Space
- Isla Grande Flying School
- Port Authority of Isla Grande
- Port of San Juan
- San Juan Bay Marina
- San Juan Bay