From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - View original article
The area is centered on Farm Roads 2100 and 1960, thirty miles northeast of Downtown Houston in the piney woods of southeastern Texas. David Huffman, a native of Louisiana, came to Texas to fight against Mexico during the Texas Revolution. For services rendered, Huffman received $24 and 324 acres (1.31 km2) of land in 1838. Along with his dad Abe, Huffman and a group from Louisiana settled in the area north of FM 1960 and east of FM 2100 in 1840. In the early years, the economy was driven by farming with primary crops being cotton, rice and corn as well as ranching and logging. A post office was established at the community in 1888, and two blacksmith shops were operating here by 1892. The Beaumont, Sour Lake and Western Railway came through the community in the early 1900s. By 1914 the town reported two general stores and a population of 250. The construction and operation of the Sinclair Oil pump station in 1921 added to the economy. The 1936 county highway map showed a church and cemetery at the townsite. In 1953, Lake Houston was opened as a recreational lake and still serves the area today with boating, water skiing and jetting, fishing and sailing.
Huffman covers about 54 square miles (140 km2) and housing approximately 10,000 citizens. Huffman is a unique community consisting largely of subdivisions, scattered farms, apartments, and small businesses.
Huffman has two community newspapers, The Tribune Newspaper (web site) and The Lake Houston Observer.
The Huffman Independent School District is named after the community and, up to 2007, served the area with four schools: Ben Bowen Elementary,Copeland Intermediate,Huffman Middle School,and Hargrave High School. Since the construction of a new Hargrave High School campus and the renovations of the old middle school, which moved to the old high school campus, the five schools were renamed as follows:
Harris County Public Library operates the nearby Atascocita Library.
The high school has a book club that members of the community including parents and others can join.
Harris County Precinct 4 operates the 70-acre (280,000 m2) May Park at 2100 Wolf Road. The park includes five lighted softball fields, one lighted American football field, a small gazebo with a barbecue pit and four tables, picnic tables, two playgrounds, a paved walking trail, and toilets. The park also includes the May Community Center.