From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - View original article
The Hudson New York, was constructed in 1928 by Anne Morgan, daughter of J. P. Morgan, as the American Women’s Association clubhouse and residence for young women in New York. The clubhouse went bankrupt in 1941 and was converted into The Henry Hudson Hotel, open to both men and women. During World War II the building housed Dutch soldiers. More recently, until 1997 the second through ninth floors served as the headquarters for public television station WNET; the MacNeil/Lehrer NewsHour was broadcast from the building. WNET has since relocated to 450 West 33rd Street.
In 1997, the building was purchased by Morgans Hotel Group and underwent a three-year renovation at the cost of $125 million. The hotel's name was changed from The Henry Hudson Hotel to simply The Hudson. As with the Royalton Hotel, the Hudson Hotel was also renovated by Ian Schrager, co-owner of Studio 54  and designer Philippe Starck .
When their rechristened "Hudson" opened, it was the team's second hotel collaboration in New York, following the Paramount by 10 years. They made over the hotel to be relatively affordable but trendier, with the goal described as 'Cheap Chic'.
In compensation for the constraints of the private spaces, the designers decided to focus their efforts on creating large and dramatic public spaces. Hudson Bar, with its glowing yellow glass floor by Mison Concepts and ceiling fresco by Francesco Clemente, hosts events such as dance parties, movie premieres, book launches, and has been featured in several TV shows such as Gossip Girl and Sex & The City.
Hudson Hotel is currently undergoing a multi-million dollar renovation which includes improvements made to the rooms, public spaces, and food and beverage outlets.