Howe is an unincorporated town in Lima Township, LaGrange County, Indiana.
Local Places on the National Register
Sites in Howe on the National Register of Historic Places are:
- John Badlam Howe Mansion which is also known as the Howe Military School Rectory or the Administration Building
- Lima Township School
- St. James Memorial Chapel
- Star Milling and Electric Company Historic District
- Samuel P. Wlliams House
Howe is located at 41°43′17″N 85°25′14″W / 41.72139°N 85.42056°W at the intersection of State Road 120 and State Road 9. It is approximately three miles south of the IN US 80/90 toll road and five miles north of LaGrange.
Howe was settled in 1834. At that time, it was named Mongoquinong, a name that the Potawatomi Indians had given to the prairie in northeastern Indiana. Shortly thereafter it was renamed Lima and was, at that time, the county seat. It was later renamed Howe after John B. Howe, a local banker.
The Howe Military School, the town's most famous attraction, was founded in 1884.
Lima, Indiana (now Howe) in 1876.
- ^ "Howe, Indiana". Geographic Names Information System, U.S. Geological Survey. http://geonames.usgs.gov/pls/gnispublic/f?p=gnispq:3:::NO::P3_FID:436547. Retrieved 2009-10-17.