The district operates 76 Schools: 41 elementary schools, 20 middle schools, 12 high schools, and 3 special schools/education centers. As of February 2013, a total of 52,000 students were enrolled.
Howard County consistently earns high marks in school performance metrics such as test scores and graduation rates. It gets high percentages at all levels of the Maryland School Assessments. In 2007 Forbes magazine rated Howard County as one of the ten most cost-efficient school systems in the USA
Albert B. Corvah, the Student Member of the Board.
Total enrollment − 51,841*
Elementary (PreK−5) - 23,494
Middle (6−8) - 11,934
High (9−12) - 16,317
Special School - 96
*As of February 2014. Official count does not include PreK.
American Indian / Alaskan 0.2%
African American 21.6%
Hawaiian / Pacific Islander 0.1%
Two or more races 6.3%
Attendance rate 2012-2013
Graduation rate: 93.25%*
*For class of 2013. 4-year adjusted cohort
Howard County Education History
the Patapsco Female Institute
In 1723, Maryland enacted a bill requiring a school in each county. Rev Joeseph Colebatch, Col Samuel Young, William Locke, Charles Hammond, Capt Daniel Maraitiee, Richard Warfield, and John Beale were commissioned to buy land and build schools in what was then Anne Arundel County. Ellicott city opened it's first boy's school in the Weir building 1820. In 1835, the state declared Ellicott's Mills a primary school district. In 1839 The Howard District of Anne Arundel County was formed. Early schools were funded and managed independently through towns, investors, the state and churches. Some early examples are St. Charles College, incorporated in 1830 near Doughoregan Manor, Patapsco Female Institute (1833) in Ellicott City, and Mount St. Clement (1867) at Illchester. By 1847, the Howard district operated 20 single room school houses. In 1864, Maryland created the state board of education for public education, leaving counties to control their own school boards. Teachers pay was increased to $100 per quarter. The Patapsco Female Institute was the first women's school to receive State funding. After the civil war, single room schoolhouses within walking distance of communities were built throughout the county. In 1885, former Maryland Governor John Lee Carroll joined the school board along with J.T. Williams and John W. Dorsey. In 1894, Chairman Robert A. Dobbin and the remainder of the county school board were indicted for receiving money in excess of per diem. In 1905 corporal punishment was tested in the courts after Highland School teacher Cora Burgess was fined for whipping a student, an act that would be banned by the state 88 years later.
In 1922, The State of Maryland authorized $600,000 in bond sales for Howard County expenses. A cap of $60,000 was placed on school improvement expenses, and $540,000 was required to be allocated to road construction. By the mid-1920s some children rode to school on private produce trucks. In 1928, the first County School Bus service started. During the period 156 Rosenwald Schools were built in Maryland for teaching African American children. In Howard county, the five-teacher school in Cooksville, the two-teacher Guilford school was constructed, and the one room Elkridge school.
Former Justice of the Peace and Coroner, Stanley E. Grantham served as board president until WWII. In 1937, The school system dropped the practice of charging students for bus fare to its schools, as well as transporting parochial students. It also dedicated its first classroom in Savage for "backward" special needs students, and implemented its first modular classroom to hold students until repairs could be made to an unsafe school. Future commissioner and board member Charles E. Miller starts his own bus service and vehicle sales to the County.
In 1938, many single-room school houses were sold to private bidders and multiple Elementary and High School projects were started using 45% Federal Emergency Agency grants used to reduce unemployment, and set fair wages. In 1939, the county issued its first school bonds, borrowing $107,000 for construction of Ellicott City Elementary, Clarksville Middle, Clarksville High, and Highland Colored School. From this date to present, the county has maintained public debt interest expenses for school expansion. It also consolidated all insurance under one broker, W Emil Thompson a candidate for state senator.
In 1941, hospital owner and land developer, Issac Taylor became board President. As early as November 1940, the board expressed concerns about selective service pulling away most of the male teachers for military service. The same year, Gun lockers were installed in the Ellicott Elementary Gym for the local guard, and the board terminated Norman Schussler for "unamerican" behavior and not wanting to serve his country. African American school teacher Effie Liggans Scott was released for working while pregnant. When conscientious objector Richard MCleary refused to salute the flag in class, the board made a policy to dismiss the student from school. By late 1944, School construction had been at a standstill and there was a shortage of qualified teachers. The board focused on teacher bonuses, and bus contracts.
At wars end, Eleanor M. Cissel became the president of the board. Her family was active as school bus operators in the county, and Charlie Cissel taught at the Lisbon agriculture school. The State board of education mandated classroom sizes reduced to 35 from 40 and the addition of a 12th grade. In 1946, future County Executive Omar Jones started as an Agriculture teacher. Physical education was funded for the first time in 1947, and the budget nearly doubled since the beginning of the war, without significant school construction or student population changes. In 1948, A single centralized county high school with busing was proposed, but the $1,000,000 cost was considered prohibitive. The only major program funded in the decade since the PWA money grants, was the agriculture shop at Lisbon which ballooned from $8,000 to over $18,000 in construction costs by 1949.
In 1949, John H Brown became the board president. After 10 years without school construction, the county awaited legislation for bonds that could be paid off in the 20-year design life of the buildings, leaving the county without debt by 1969. A single central High school design was modified to one that would serve three districts and plans for additions to Clarksville, Libson, and West Friendship were made at an estimated cost of $875,000. Newspaper publication of the school budget was refused, and replaced with a mimeograph supplied on request. It was also the first year that the school board met with representatives regarding the combined impact of schools with water, sewer, and roads. Four colored and one white schools without water were funded for new wells. School buses and drivers were inspected for the first time. The Board expanded to four members in May 1949 with the addition of Norman H Warfield, and a new position of County Superintendent was created and given with Warfield's vote to John E. Yingling. In 1949, Future land developer and County Executive Norman E. Moxley is hired to a new position as chairman of the school building commission. The school board remains self-elected by its own four members with one-year terms. By 1952, the first major subdivisions are started in Ellicott City, prompting the League of Women Voters to express concern. The school board noted that there was plenty of land in the county for schools, just little funding for new buildings. The planning board provided the first listings of building permits to the school board showing growth rates nearly doubling in three months. School salaries are raised to a base of $3,000 a year and student-to-teacher ratio is lowered to 33. In 1953, Maryland expanded the loans for new schools to $514,000, and driver's education classes began. In 1955 Charles E. Miller is elected President of the Board. In 1956 football is expanded from six man teams to eleven man teams with games to be played at Howard High School. Maryland governor J. Millard Tawes appoints Gertrude Crist to the School board in 1959.
In 1962, Senator Frank E. Shipley bypassed the state school board nominating commission recommendation of Fred Schoenbrodt, and installed Clifford Y. Stephens. In October 1963, Stephens was indicted for price fixing milk and dies soon after in a automobile crash. Stephens death reduces the school board to two people and a lengthy board process to recommend a replacement candidate to the governor. Senator James A. Clark, Jr. recommended a change. The school board expands to five members in 1964, all chosen by the governor (J. Millard Tawes) which include James Moxley Jr, Fred Schoenbrodt, Gertrude Crist, Austin Zimmer, and Edward Cochran. In 1965, the county implemented a .25% transfer tax to fund new schools and parks, netting $70,000 in its fist nine months. The school board estimates 39,600 pupils by 1980, missing the mark by 15,000. In May 1966, The Howard County Citizens Association confronts Howard Research and Development for using 700 acres of school property bought by the county at market rate to count as part of the 3200 acres of open space promised for the Columbia development plan. Rouse comprised slightly by not including school buildings as open space in calculations, and donating land for schools not already purchased with a "maintenance fee" for the transfer. In 1966 the Elementary and Secondary Education Act is passed. Howard County shares $75,000 in title III planning grants with Caroll County, and $110,000 in Title I grants for 466 student that qualify for low income family education. Councilman Norman E. Moxleys Normandy Insurance is awarded an insurance contract for BOE vehicles. The Central Maryland News and Times requests the county stop its closed door policy on school board meetings. Meetings remained closed, but controlled press releases were resumed. A foundation recommended the school system start using a centralized computer based education system and another recommended outdoor classrooms. In 1967 Howard County attempted to consolidate its offices in Ellicott City. The board of education declined, and offered to relocate to an existing vacant school. County commissioners approved the formation of a community college. In 1968, Thomas M Goedeke is selected from Baltimore County to become chief of public education serving until 1984 replacing 42-year veteran John E. Yingling. Future county executive Edward L. Cochran becomes head of the school board.
Early education was not available for African Americans in Howard County. In 1872, Maryland State law required the creation of at least one school for each district with over 15 school age colored children. The Howard County school system was segregated since the building of the Ellicott City Colored School in 1888. Worn school books were provided from white schools. In 1938, African American teachers petitioned for equal salaries, and Superintendent S.E. Grantham and the commissioners felt they could not allow an additional $7,500 in expenses, ending the effort. In 1940, a Federal Court mandated equal salaries, which lead the board to offer an extra month's pay if the teacher's union would not litigate against them for equal salaries. In the urgency following the Pearl Harbor attack, teachers from all races trained together on First-Aid for the first time. The racial equity less apparent when the board announced in September 1942, that students seeking clinic aid for syphilis could only use colored buses, because using a white bus was considered improper. By 1949, the Cooksville School had 79 students for one teacher. In 1952 Howard County operated 8 Elementary, 2 Junior High, and 3 High schools for 3,790 white students. There were 9 "colored" Elementary and 1 High school with 976 students. The school board recognized overcrowding, and noted that colored students would soon be requesting modern indoor bathrooms like other schools in the County. In 1954, Segregation was outlawed by the supreme court in Brown v. Board of Education. In November 1955, a Citizen's committee on desegregation is formed and asked to report its findings in 1956 for the 1956-1957 school year. The NAACP wrote the board asking why they were not following the Supreme Court decision. In July 1957, the Maryland Court of appeals threw out an residential legal effort to block the Supreme Courts authority on county integration plans. On July 13, 1963, the Board of education put together a plan to desegregate schools, which was put into effect in November 1963 with a plan to continue partial segregation until 1967 The Chairman of the NACCP education committee Robert H. Kittleman, threatened demonstrations if the school board would continue segregation past 1964. Howard County eliminated one class of segregated students a year, taking 11 years to implement integrated classes.
With the development of Columbia, The school system shift's its emphasis on neighborhood schools. The school board faces complaints of children from new developments in Columbia being districted in outlying underutilized schools because the developer promised a "Columbia School System" in its sales marketing. In 1972 the Office of Civil Rights questioned the lack of African Americans in administrative positions. Dr. Goedeke responded by saying there was a lack of qualified applicants, and that African American teachers that ran colored schools prior to integration were "teacher-principals" or "teachers-in-charge" who were not qualified as administrators under present-day considerations. In 1974, school budgets produced a surplus of $200,000 from bond investments that were returned to the general funds. Future County Executive Charles I. Ecker is brought on as superintendent for Howard County schools serving until 1989. In 1976, arbitor Robert I. Bloch ruled that the school selection board had improperly used race and non-professional factors in the review of Charles Griffin for pupil personnel supervisor.
Prior membership in the school board was by selection. In 1982, William Manning became the first African American elected on the 118 year old school board.
In 1992, Superintendent Micheal E. Hickey proposed a $250 million plan to expand the school system by 15 schools. By 1993, the school board voted to delay school construction and look at construction cost savings.
In 2006, Howard County sets a health policy limited birthday celebrations to once a month and banning home baked cookies or cakes with cream filling.
In 2012, the county partially outsourced support for children with Autism to the Linwood Childrens Center. In 2013, the common core system is implemented. Also known as "Race to the top," the common core curriculum was implemented to help students understand and solve problems on their own. In 2014, the school computer systems are targeted by a cyber attack. Later that year, the Howard County based One Maryland Inter-County Broadband Network won a service contract for network services.
In 1964, the developers of Columbia, Maryland envisioned an independent year round school system for its residents. A portion of the land bought by Rouse corporation was provided at no cost to the school system to build schools to accommodate the impact from the development. Howard County remained in control of the school system.
Laurel Woods Elementary surrounded with modular classrooms
As Columbia reached its maximum planned capacity, developers turned to the Eastern portion of Howard County served by public water and sewer for infill development opportunities. The Howard County School system increased substantially in size and development in the county outpaced the number of seats available for students. In 2006, An adequate public facilities ordinance (APFO) was enacted. It temporarily limited development in elementary school districts only which were over 120% capacity. It still allowed allowed developers the ability to proceed with projects three years after submittal regardless of overcrowding. To keep up with demand, the school system developed a method of regular redistricting, moving students to Western schools with more capacity. The School system revived the concept of portable trailers in the early 1990s, increasing to 50 units in 1995, 217 by 2013 and 238 in 2014.
Alberton - Closed in 1939, with children consolidated to Ellicott City.
Alpha Colored School - Discontinued in 1938. Students sent to Cooksville Colored School.
Annapolis Rock School - One room schoolhouse built in 1894 near modern Woodbine and 94. The 38 by 24 foot schoolhouse was rebuilt in 1908 by Lucy Driver Hilton in one month for $600. Children would be paid 50 cents a month to tend the pot bellied stove. Closed in 1943. Sold to Jessie M. Sirk for $400 and converted to a private residence.
Atholton School - A one room colored school house next to Locust Church given by John R. and Susie Clark in 1885. Students transferred to Guilford in 1939. School property bought for $200 by Locust Church. In 1941 a additional unaccounted acre was sold on a separate bid for $701 to Herbert M Brown. Schoolhouse placed on new foundation at 10550 Shaker Drive 
Atholton High School - In 1948, a new 10 room high school was called Atholton Colored School was ordered. It was designed by Francis Thuman to be built in Simpsonville with a $280,000 budget. The cornerstone was set on September 25, 1948 by the Colored Masonic Lodge. Clarksville students were used to operate the bulldozers used in grading. Renamed at the request of students to Harriet Tubman High School in 1949. By 1953, the library, cafeteria and supervisor's office were all used as classrooms, a four room addition was recommended to relieve overcrowding. The last class of 42 students graduated in June 1965.
Bethany School- Built on site of a log schoolhouse named Dorsey Academy. A new school was built on land given by C.W. and Emily Peddicord in 1898 and closed in 1940, sold for $1082 to the Bethany Married Circle Church who surrendered their bid to William A Wheatley.
Clarksville Elementary and Middle - A wood and stucco school opened in 1920 with $5000 in funds. It was later used by the roads department and stood at a location where the parking lot of the "Ten Oaks Ballroom" resides now. A new building was started in 1938 and a new site was selected because of "water runoff". The 4.5 acres of land bought from Katherine Dorsey and J Nicols. Miller was purchased from the school board for $2,800. New construction was started on 6 acres bought from John Easter for $1,800. A outside shop was built in 1943. The school was converted to the Gateway private school cited by the EPA for uncontrolled air emissions in 1999. In 2012 County Executive Ken Ulman demolished the school, and sold the property with upzoning to land developer GreenStone Ventures II LLC for $5 million.
Colesville Colored School - A Rosenwald School located along the east side of Stevens Road. Water came from a bucket in a neighboring properties well as late as 1949. Converted to a private residence and destroyed in 2006 to develop "Hammonds Overlook Townhomes".
Cooksville Colored School - Thomas H. Hood and his wife, Sarah donated land for the school in 1867. A two room house served as the school and for church services until burned in 1922. A new one-room school was built to replace it. A new Rosenwald School was built on the site between 1925-1926 for $7100.00. In 1935 Cooksville became the first and only County African American high school by offering classes up to grade 11. outfitted with a portable classroom from Savage in 1939. A second portable in poor condition was planned to be towed to the site, but a new one was built in 1942 using National Defense Training money. In 1943, the Board allowed teachers to rent the top floor for apartments, and rented additional classroom space in the private house of Alonzo Lee. In 1949 one of the portable was moved to Atholton (Harriet Tubman) for Agriculture training. In 1956, the board delayed implementation of desegregation, but approved installation of indoor heating and toilets. The school closed in 1968, and was used by the roads department for stockpiling until 1978, when Executive Edward L. Cochran deeded the land back to the Mt. Gregory Methodist Church.
Daisy Colored School (School House #5) - 2 Acres purchased in 1876 by Dennis and Leama Gaither. A log cabin was built in 1890 for the schoolhouse and was replaced in 1905 by the Daisy United Methodist Church with school services in the basement. School functions ceased in 1946. The school has been dismantled in 2009 is awaiting reconstruction on museum property in West Friendship. The outpost remained on the list in 2014.
Dayton Colored School - Built in 1878 at Brown's Chapel on Howard road. Water provided by a bucket in a neighbors well as late as 1949. In 1952, Robert Louis Gaither appealed to the school board to rebuild the school after a recent fire. The school board chose to move children to Highland colored school. The school land was sold to Robet S. Gaither for $750 with Melville Scott & Sons reimbursing the board $2,700 for fire damages.
Dayton White School - Schoolhouse No. 19 - Built prior to 1860 South of Dayton along modern Green Bridge road.
Elioak School - Situated on the second floor of the Elioak post office built in 1893. A replacement school was built on land granted by the Gardner family in 1916 on the corner of Clarkland farms. Converted to a storage building in 1941 and sold back to the Gardner Family for $300.
Elkridge Colored School - A one-teacher Rosenwald School built between 1925-1926 for $2450.00. It was heated with pot belly stoves. In 1952, the colored PTA asked for safer heating and after inspection from the fire marshal, E. Reid Bossom, the pot belly stoves were declared safe.
Elkridge High School - 45% funded with a 1935 Federal Emergency Agency grant requiring wages of up to eighty cents an hour for skilled labor. The building was designed by Clyde M. Fritz, architect of Baltimore's Enoch Pratt Free Library. The school was converted to Elkridge Elementary in 1952 as part of a consolidation effort, and replaced in 1992. The School was then planned to be raised sold to developers for a 46 unit housing project. The school was sold for $500,000 to the privately run Norbel school and is vacant by 2013. By 2011, Elkridge Elementary district was overcrowded, prompting another search for land for an additional Elementary school.
Ellicott City Colored School (1880-1953) 8683 Frederick Road. The first African-American schoolhouse in the county. Repurchased by Howard County in 1995 for $80,000 and restored as a museum.
Ellicott City Colored School - Combined four room Elementary and seven room High School proposed in 1944. Water secured from a spring next to Stewart's Store. School property bought on Fels lane in 1952. Bids were resubmitted after the first round submission date was changed without notice to select bidders. The School was funded with a $55,000 loan, costing the county less than one-third of the cost of a single addition on the Lisbon school. The school project was renamed Fels Lane Elementary in 1953. Later the school was converted to a police station. The school was converted into the Roger Carter Recreation Center in 1976 as part of the County's Hilltop subsidized housing project. (Roger Carter was the first African American School Bus Owner-Operator in the County starting in 1953). The building was demolished in 2011 and rebuilt as a $15 million recreation center to support a renamed subsidized housing project with an additional 204 units on the former school property.
Ellicott City School (1820) - Boys only school in the Weir House on Court Ave. Moved in 1824
Ellicott City School (1824) - Coed school on Strawberry Lane which operated until moved. Building demolished in 1919.
Ellicott City School (1884) - Petitioned by Reuben D Johnson. Built on land bought from John G. and Rebbeca Rodgers in 1888, on School Street. Sold in 1939 to newspaper owner P.G. Stromberg for $500.
Ellicott City Elementary School - Started in 1938 on 6 acres bought from J William Martin for $4,000. A road to the school was built in 1949. By 1953, the library was converted to classrooms, a portable classroom was added,the science room and locker rooms were all converted to classrooms. County Executive J. Hugh Nichols attempted to re-purpose the building in 1981, but later sold it at auction. The property was converted to the Greystone Development housing and apartments on the 4.2 acre site. Developers Michael A Nibali, Emmettt Peake, Potapsco Valley Associates, and the Brightwater Group were all owners that were foreclosed on during the project.
Ellicott City High School (1924) - a stone construction four story high all-grade school built with the remains of Rock Hill College (1865). Converted to an elementary in 1938, closed in the 1976.
Ellicott City High School (1938) - The board accepted an 8 acre donation on Montgomery Road in 1938 from partner's Benjamin Mellor, and Charles E. Miller on the condition that the board pay their renter Mr. Hardman for lost crops. Hardman approached the board and demanded $600, a high price in January at the end of the depression. The board eventually paid $400, and request $2,500 from the public works administration to cover the costs for the crops and donated land. Hardman attempted to harvest the crops in June 1939 and was fined, Hardman later became a wartime School Bus contractor for the county. The School was built by the Charles C Sanford Company, and finished in 1939. Benjaman Mellor would partner with Emil Thompson in the firm of Hermann and Carr, selling insurance for all school buildings in the county. The school became the site of the Howard County fair in 1947 until the current fairgrounds were built. In 1952, future county executive Omar J. Jones becomes the principal. Converted to a middle school, and demolished in 1999 to build Ellicott's Mill's Middle School.
Faulkner Ridge Elementary - School built for $1,010,000 in 1967. Closed in 1983 with a refusal to hear appeal by Thomas J. Nissel. Used as HPSS office space.
Florence School - Built on land purchased by Joshua D. Warfield and Ligon families in 1872 and later owned by the Black family. Closed in 1943 after the death of J. Hubert Black's father. Future board member A Robey Mullinix outbid by Fred Duval for $650. Property forfeited to Raymond Duval after purchase. The remainder of the 253 surrounding acres became Larriland Farms when County commissioner J. Hubert Black swapped his family property for undeveloped Columbia farmland in 1963.
Fulton School - Pindell School - (Schoolhouse No. 22) Land acquired in 1862. Along Pindell School road and modern route 216. In July 1866, Methodist Episcopal Church South congregation established at schoolhouse. Closed in 1939 and consolidated to Scaggsville. C.M Ridgley bought the property for $750. Schoolhouse No.3 was built prior to 1878 on the land of Richard Pindell II, a teacher at the school, which operated until 1939
Glenelg School - The yellow on room scohoolhouse was built on Sharpe lane next to the Providence Methodist Church. Closed in 1942, students sent to Clarksville and Dayton.
Glenwood-Hoods Mill - One room classroom near Cooksville-Olney road closed 1939 with students consolidated to Libson. Extra language added to sale to prevent building from selling liquor. School sold for $400 to E.H Pierson.
Gorman (School house No.4) built prior to 1853 along present Gorman road, closed in 1939 and consolidated to Scaggsville. Mrs Grace Gorman Johnson, Daughter of Senator Arthur Pue Gorman, bought the property adjoining the family estate "Overlook" for $225 without a bid.
Guilford School - Built in 1876 along Guilford and Oakland Mills road. Used until 1941, converted to a private residence and torn down.
Guilford Colored School - "Robert Guilford Elementary" (1876-1941) Land given by Williams, Clark and Rodgers in 1876 near Guilford and Mission roads. A two teacher Rosenwald School was built and sold in 1941 to Henry J.W. Sealing for $1,151.
Guilford Colored School - (1952) An 11 room school proposed in 1952 to built on Mission road. Colored PTA were told to hold off on roof leak repairs to their schools for 18 months until funding arrived for the new replacement school. The landscaping budget for Howard High that year exceeded $1,000. In 1953, the board requested a $225,000 loan from the state for the school and found the building site was to steep for the project. The school was built in 1954 and remodeled in 1982.
Highland Colored Elementary - cancelled in 1938 to reallocate funds to Ellicott City schools. An additional $500 given to the architect for non-completion. No further Federal grants were applied for. In May 1939, a delegation approached the board asking for the completion date of the colored school, and was told they had to wait until funds were available. A 66 student to teacher ratio was solved later that year by splitting the classroom in half with a partition. Construction started in 1952 following a fire that closed the Dayton school.
Harriet Tubman - (See Atholton)
Highridge School (Welsh's Schoolhouse) - One room schoolhouse built on donated land from the Lemmuel Welsh family in 1890. Also held congregation of Emmanuel Methodist Church. Closed in 1939 with students going to Scaggsville. Welsh family attempted to buy property back for $500, but county went to open bids. Charles M. Ridgley bought the property for $1210 and the school was converted to a private residence which still is in use.
Ivory School - single room schoolhouse built before 1900 
Jonestown Colored School - one room school consolidated to Dorsey Colored in 1939
Lisbon - First two room schoolhouse built in 1899 on the site of the Union Church for Public Worship and gravesite.
Lisbon High School - An 11 room high school is built in 1920 and replaced in 1935 with a 20 room high-school. In 1939 the old and new schools are merged with a gym addition. Portable classrooms turned into library and agriculture classroom 1942. By 1948, the county had not built any substantial projects since PWA money grants of 1939. The exception was the Lisbon shop, budgeted for $8,000 in 1945, and built for nearly $18,000 in 1948 with cutbacks in design. In 1949, Harvey Hill, Richard Arrington and Thurman Warfield petitioned for land annexation for a playground. In 1952 The school was annexed again for $160,000 and closed in 1958.
Long Corner Colored School - One of the last single room schools still in operation in 1949.
Meadowridge Colored school. Single room school. By 1949, enrollment was 79 students with one teacher.
Marriotsville School - Schoolhouse No. 10 - Built prior to 1860 near Old Frederick and modern Sand Hill road. Land granted by William Davis in 1874, and built by the Marriotsville garage with the top floor used by a church. The one room school closed 1939 and was sold to Peter Zepp for $300.
Mount Pleasant School - Log schoolhouse built in 1859 in Glenelg. Tridelphia Ridge Elementary built over the site in 1998.
Mount View Colored School - Sold in November 1939 to William J McDonald for $500. In December, the Seymor Ruff bid for the Scaggsville school came in $800 over the maximum bid. The board announced they would use $800 from the sale of Mt. View to cover the difference.
Orange Grove - Built 1898 in a combination church-schoolhouse. The Orange Grove mill burned in 1905, the city was abandoned soon after.
Pfeiffer's Corner Schoolhouse - Classes first held in Miller's Barn.. School built in 1883, and sold in 1938 to George Wehland for $575 as a private residence. Wehland had title difficulties because the school board was selling land bought in 1865, and there was no school board at that date. The school building sold again in 1940 to Vernon Titsworth for $500, and was moved again to parkland as an exhibit in 1988, with original land developed into housing.
Popular Springs - Land donated by David Burdette in 1866. Closed 1939 with children going to Libson. Sold in a no-bid transaction to George D. Fleming for $315.
Rockland School - single room school off Old Frederick Road given by George and Martha Voltz in 1889 sold fall of 1939 for $1025 to John F. Baer initially, then Henry and Mabel Weingand. Students consolidated to Ellicott City.
Rover School - Built on land donated by Evan W. and Sallie Ann Warfield in 1872. Closed in 1934, the board elected to sell the property to a Mr. George Amoss for $100, rather than return to the Warfield family.
Scaggsville single room schoolhouse built on land donated by Issac Scaggs family, closed in 1939. Public Works Building sold and moved for $5.00. Land sold to Daniel M. Murray Jr for $550.
Scaggsville Elementary School - 45% funded with a FEA grant in 1938. Clyde M Fritz was selected as the architect and Julius A Kinlein as builder. Built on 5 acres of the Brown farm bought for $2000 in 1939. The Board sued for a late completion of the school that jeopardized grant money in May 1939. The board withheld $3,090 from the builder, but did not return any percentage to the FEA.
Savage School - (1921) Built on a landfill next to the Carroll Baldwin Hall, closed in 1937 due to cracking from land settling.
Savage Elementary - (1938) The school traded land on route one, buying a new lot for $3000, closing the structurally failing two story brick schoolhouse and selling its old land for $300 to the Savage Manufacturing Company. The company mistakenly claimed there was sewer service onsite, leaving the county to also run new lines through savage to supply the new school site. By 1953, the school reached 335 students for the nine classrooms, and student were sent to Scaggsville and an extra classroom was planned on a second story.
Schoolhouse No. 1 - Built prior to 1853.
Schoolhouse No. 2 - Built prior to 1853, along modern Mission Road.
Schoolhouse No. 3 - Built prior to 1853.
Schoolhouse No. 4 - (See Cooksville)
Schoolhouse No. 5 - (See Oakland Mills)
Schoolhouse No. 6 - Built prior to 1860 along Bonnie Branch and modern Hurst road.
Schoolhouse No. 7 - Built prior to 1860 on Hill Street in Ellicott City.
Schoolhouse No. 8 - Built prior to 1895 near Route 32
Schoolhouse No. 10 - (See Orange Grove)
Schoolhouse No. 15 - Built prior to 1860 near modern Long Corner Road and Schafferville Road in Popular Springs.
Schoolhouse No. 16 - Built prior to 1860 near modern Roxbury Mills (Westminster)road and Roxbury road North of Tridelphia.
Schoolhouse No. 17 - Built prior to 1860 along Woodbine road near Lisbon.
Schoolhouse No. 21 - Built prior to 1860 along modern Grace Drive chemical facility.
Schoolhouse No. 22 - Built prior to 1847. 1st district
Schoolhouse No. 26 - Built prior to 1847 in 1st district with Thomas J Talbot, George H Pocock, George Hopper.
Schoolhouse No. 27 - Built prior to 1847 in 2nd district with John W Warfield, Johnathan Mariott and Thomas D Griffith.
Schoolhouse No. 28 - Built prior to 1847 in 2nd district with Phillip Mipel, Rezin Gaither and Greenbury Johnson trustees.
Schoolhouse No. 29 - Built prior to 1847 in 1st district with Evan Scott, George Stuchcomb and Richard Davis trustees.
Schoolhouse No. 30 - Built prior to 1847 in 1st district with Anthony Smith, Thomas G David and Nicholas J Baritt trustees.
Schoolhouse No. 31 - Built prior to 1847 in 1st district with George Hamilton, Charles G Haslip and Thoedore Dalman trustees.
Schoolhouse No. 32 - Built prior to 1847 with Linry Martin, Wilson S Hobbs and Beal Whalen trustees.
Schoolhouse No. 32 - Built prior to 1847.
Schoolhouse No. 33 - Built prior to 1847 in 3rd district with Berry Hord Jent, John Thompson and Thomas Barnes trustees.
Schoolhouse No. 34 - Built prior to 1847 in 3rd district with James Hobbs, James T Henderson and Asbury Peddicord trustees.
Schoolhouse No. 35 - Built prior to 1847 in 3rd district with Basil Duvall, James A Merideth and Philemon Warfield trustees.
Schoolhouse No. 36 - Built prior to 1847 in 3rd district with Nathan Shipley, D.E. Hopkins and William W Warfield trustees.
Schoolhouse No. 37 - Built prior to 1847 in 3rd district with Nathanial Clary, Luther Welsh and Adam Delauder trustees.
Schoolhouse No. 39 - Built prior to 1847 in 3rd district with James E Matthews, Mortimer Dorsey and Laird T Owings trustees.
Schoolhouse No. 40 - Built prior to 1847 in 3rd district with George W. Warfield, Ephriam Hobbs and John Selby trustees.
Schoolhouse No. 42 - Built prior to 1847 in 2nd district with Wesley Linthicum, William W Watkins and James Jenklo trustees.
Schoolhouse No. 44 - Built prior to 1847. 1st district
Schoolhouse No. 45 - Built prior to 1847. 2nd district
Schoolhouse No. 46 - Built prior to 1847. 1st district
Schoolhouse No. 47 - Built prior to 1847. 2nd district
Woodland School No.9 - Built on the Burgess farm in Glenelg on Tridelphia road. Named after school superintendent Woodland Phillips. Later converted to a home for the Burgess family.
Woodstock School - Land bought in 1897, School closed in 1936. Land sold to Elston Seward for $100, and George E Peddicord for $75
^"Contact Us."Howard County Public School System. Retrieved on November 30, 2012. "10910 Clarksville Pike (Route 108) Ellicott City, MD 21042" - Driving Directions - The Census Bureau Map shows that the location of the district headquarters is in the Columbia, Maryland Census-designated place; even though the postal address states "Ellicott City, Maryland the headquarters are not physically in the U.S. government-defined Elicott City census-designated place
^"A True Colonial, Circa 1771". The Washington Post. 16 September 1996.
^Howard County Historical Society. Images of America Howard County. p. 66.
^Tanika White (28 February 2002). "Board rejects site for school Members dislike location near Alpha Ridge Landfill Decision a surprise Most likely place seen as Mount View, which opposes it". The Baltimore Sun.
^Howard's Roads to the Past. Howard County Sesquicentennial Celebration Committee, 2001. 2001. p. 95.