From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - View original article
Hermitage Academy is a non-denominational secondary school in Helensburgh, Argyll and Bute, Scotland. It is one of two secondary schools in the Helensburgh area (the other being Lomond School) and is currently the largest secondary school in Argyll and Bute. The school catchment area extends from the Firth of Clyde to Loch Lomond and the Rest and be thankful, including in addition to the town of Helensburgh the villages of Cardross, Rhu, Shandon, Garelochhead, Clynder, Rosneath, Kilcreggan, Arrochar, Tarbet and Luss and other rural areas. Since this catchment area straddles the Highland Boundary Fault Line, the school is uniquely both a Lowland and a Highland school.
The school was originally located in East Argyle Street next to the current primary school; the first Gothic building, with four classrooms and a music room and an intended capacity of 500, opened in 1880. In 1966, after complaints of overcrowding, the secondary school was replaced by a new building at Campbell Drive, Helensburgh, but when this proved too small, a second building of equal capacity was built beside it. In February 2008 the school was again relocated to a new campus on the outskirts of the town. The school badge features the main entrance of the original Hermitage School.
As of June 2014[update], the school has 1350 pupils and almost 100 teaching staff.