"Haven’t Met You Yet" is the first single from Canadian singer Michael Bublé's fourth album Crazy Love, released on August 31, 2009. According to Bublé, the single and its official music video are "about everyone's dream of finding a relationship and love." Bublé co-wrote "Haven’t Met You Yet" with Alan Chang and Amy Foster-Gilles, and dedicated it to his then fiancée and now wife, Luisana Lopilato (who appears as his love interest in the music video). Like Bublé’s song "Everything", this song carries an adult contemporary sound. The song has proven successful on the adult contemporary charts, reaching #1 in the U.S. on the chart week of January 30, 2010 and becoming the first song in history to debut at #1 on Billboard Canada's AC chart. It is Bublé's third #1 single on the adult contemporary charts after "Home" and "Everything". It was also a big success on the Billboard Hot 100, where the song reached #24, so far, being his highest single on the Billboard charts. The song entered the United Kingdom Singles Chart on the October 18, 2009 at number 9, making it his first top 10 hit in the UK, eventually climbing up to number 5 in its third week. The song won Single of the Year at the 2010 Juno Awards and was nominated for Best Male Pop Vocal Performance at the 53rd Grammy Awards.
A clip of the song was released via The Daily Bublé, an online newspaper found on his official website. Another clip was also available for those downloading the mp3 at Amazon.com. The full song was available for streaming only on his official fan club Bungalow-B on August 28, 2009. It was later available on iTunes on August 30 and then on Bublé’s official page on August 31. In 2010, the song replaced 'Follow Through' by Gavin DeGraw on adverts for Carte D'or ice cream in the UK. The song bears an uncanny resemblance to "I will not go quietly" (2001) by Australian band "The Whitlams".
The song received favorable reviews. Patrick McKiernan from the website Allgigs.co.uk gave the song 4 out of 5 stars, saying: "The lyrical structure is not too far from his comfort zone but is still engaging enough to pay attention to but it’s actually the music I think is great. The piano is jaunty and upbeat and has some very beautiful, understated string arrangement that matches his vocal charm perfectly and the song even has a great bit of bugle at the bridge". The song was one of the album's track pick from the Allmusic review. Nick Levine from Digital Spy gave the song 3 out of 5 stars, saying: "'Haven't Met You Yet' is a toe-tapping pop tune with lavish production - the strings swell in all the right places, the brass parps perkily - and lyrics so shamelessly romantic Barry Manilow could sing them. It's cheesy as a quesadilla and too chirpy by half, but if this sort of thing pushes your guilty pleasure button, it's probably best to enjoy it while you can”.
A promotional video was released a few days after the release of the song in digital format at his official site on September 5, 2009. It showed Bublé in a photo shoot set wearing a dark brown jacket against a white background. The video solely revolves around him in the photo shoot session. The official music video was directed by Rich Lee and was released on October 1, 2009. The video is about Bublé in a supermarket (Killarney Market on 49th Avenue in Vancouver, BC, Canada in the Killarney neighborhood ) and after meeting a blonde woman (Luisana Lopilato) in an aisle, all the customers, staff, and a cameo appearance of the West Vancouver Youth Band, start dancing around the store in celebration, eventually moving outside to the parking lot as confetti descends. The video then cuts to Bublé at the till with the cashier handing him his receipt while he is still seemingly lost in daydreams. An embarrassed Bublé then takes the receipt and walks out with everyone staring at him. As he is about to exit the supermarket, he sees the blonde woman from his daydream walking into the supermarket. He takes a glance at her and walks out of the supermarket perplexed. The music video is a tribute to a scene in the 1986 film Ferris Bueller's Day Off when Ferris Bueller leads a parade through the Chicago streets lip-syncing to The Beatles' version of "Twist and Shout".
- Digital Download Remixes E.P.
- "Haven't Met You Yet" - 4:05
- "Haven't Met You Yet" (Donni Hotwheel Radio Edit) - 3:08
- "Haven't Met You Yet" (Donni Hotwheel Extended Mix) - 4:35
- "Haven't Met You Yet" (Jason Nevins Radio Edit) - 3:36
- "Haven't Met You Yet" (Jason Nevins Club Mix) - 6:23
- "Haven't Met You Yet" (Cutmore Club Mix) - 6:38
- German CD Single
- "Haven't Met You Yet" - 4:05
- "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" (Live From Madison Square Garden) - 4:33
In popular culture
During the January 30, 2010 episode of Saturday Night Live, in which Bublé is the musical guest, a commercial sketch shows that host Jon Hamm has opened a restaurant that features "Ham and Bubbly". While Bublé sings alternate lyrics to the melody of "Haven't Met You Yet" that reflects the restaurant's theme, it becomes obvious that Hamm is holding Bublé against his will, forcing him to sing and perform non-musical shows. This song was also performed as a group by the cast of American Idol during the March 12 results show of the ninth season. In September 2010 nearly a 1000 students from the University of Victoria, Canada shot a lip dub featuring "Haven't Met You Yet". The lip dub was mentioned on CBC News: The National and covered extensively from local news outlets. On October 27, Michael Bublé posted a link of the "impressive" video to his Facebook page. The video reached over 100,000 views on YouTube in less than a week after being released online on October 22. The lip dub was made in response to the viral 'UVic' (Universitat de Vic from Spain) "Hey, Soul Sister" lip dub that many, including celebrity blogger Perez Hilton, mistakenly believed came from the Canadian 'UVic'. Michael Bublé expressed interest in being a part of the lip dub, but due to scheduling conflicts was unable to be in Victoria, British Columbia at the time of shooting.
On July 11, 2011 a YouTube channel called BadLipReading did another type of lip dub-recording over the music video using an entirely new song, called "Russian Unicorn", unrelated musically to the original, with lyrics that matched Bublé's lip movements. For example, the new song changed the original line "We can work to work it out" to "We could shoot a Russian Unicorn." Bublé mentioned it in an interview, saying it was his new favourite song. He said it was "one of the coolest things I've ever seen" and called the makers "an evil genius."
In its first week, “Haven’t Met You Yet” debuted at number 65 with only digital downloads to promote it. Simultaneously, it debuted at number 33 on the Hot Digital Songs chart, number 22 on the Hot Adult Contemporary Tracks, and the top five in Canada. The week of January 30, 2010, the song reached number 40 (becoming his first Top 40 hit) after several months on the chart. It has become his highest charting song yet ("Everything" reached number 46), reaching number 24 in its 34th week on the chart. It is also his best charting song in the Mainstream Top 40, where it peaked at number 21. It also became his third number-one on the Adult Contemporary charts. Meanwhile on the UK Singles Chart, he scored his first top ten single after debuting at number nine. In its third week, it climbed to number five, making it his first top five hit and highest ever entry in the UK.
Nick Jonas version
On February 27, 2012, Nick Jonas covered the song in the TV series Smash in the episode "The Cost of Art". He performed the song behind a piano at a party that was given to him. The cover was released as a single on March 6, 2012 and appeared on the series soundtrack, which was released May 1, 2012.
Nick Jonas was announced to guest-star on the show on October 11, 2011. His character of Lyle West is described as "a hot sitcom star who started his career as a child actor in a Broadway show written by Tom (Christian Borle) and directed by Derek (Jack Davenport)." The release also mentioned that Jonas will sing in the episode.
|1.||"Haven't Met You Yet" (Nick Jonas version)||Michael Bublé, Alan Chang, Amy Foster-Gilles||2:21|
|Canada||February 27, 2012||Digital download - Digital Single||Columbia Records|
|United States||February 27, 2012|
|March 6, 2012|
|May 1, 2012||Digital download - Digital album|
- ^ "Michael Bublé Portugal: Haven't Met You Yet". Michaelbubleportugal.blogspot.com. 2004-02-26. http://michaelbubleportugal.blogspot.com/2009/08/havent-met-you-yet.html. Retrieved 2010-11-28.
- ^ "Michael Buble Dresses Up Like Justin Bieber for 'Hollywood' Video". PopEater.com. 2010-09-27. http://www.popeater.com/2010/09/27/michael-buble-justin-bieber-hollywood-video/.
- ^ Horton, Shelly (2009-11-02). "Call him irresistible". TheAge.com.au. http://www.theage.com.au/executive-style/culture/call-him-irresistible-20091102-hswe.html.
- ^ "The New Single "Haven't Met You Yet"". Michael Bublé. http://www.michaelbuble.com/haventmetyouyet/. Retrieved 2010-11-28.
- ^ a b c d e f g h Haven't Met You Yet - Michael Bublé. Billboard. Retrieved on October 2, 2009.
- ^ "Haven't Met You Yet" setting Canadian radio records. MichaelBuble.com. November 25, 2009.
- ^ a b c Trust, Gary (January 20, 2010). Chart Beat Wednesday: Tim McGraw, Michael Buble, Owl City. Billboard.
- ^ "Amazon mp3: Haven't Met You Yet". Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002M9P6FG. Retrieved 2010-11-28.
- ^ bungalow-b.com
- ^ a b News: NEW MICHAEL BUBLE COMING TO YOU SOON! MichaelBuble.com. August 28, 2009.
- ^ New Single "Haven't Met You Yet" Available on iTunes Now! MichaelBuble.com. August 30, 2009
- ^ "Haven't Met You Yet Hits Radio August 31st | Michael Buble Official Site". Michael Bublé. 2009-08-24. http://www.michaelbuble.com/news/2009/08/24/havent-met-you-yet-hits-radio-august-31st. Retrieved 2010-11-28.
- ^ The Daily Bublé August 2009.
- ^ "Haven't Met You Yet - Michael Bublé Single Review by Patrick McKiernan". All Gigs. http://www.allgigs.co.uk/view/review/4287/Michael_Buble_Havent_Met_You_Yet_Single_Review.html. Retrieved 2010-11-28.
- ^ Released on Monday, October 12, 2009 (2009-10-12). "Singles Review - Michael Bublé: 'Haven't Met You Yet'". Digital Spy. http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/singlesreviews/a181935/michael-buble-havent-met-you-yet.html. Retrieved 2010-11-28.
- ^ News: New Haven't Met You Yet Promo Video. MichaelBuble.com
- ^ "Michael Buble - Haven't Met You Yet Teaser Clip Promo Video". contactmusic.com. http://www.contactmusic.com/videos.nsf/stream/michael-buble-havent-met-you-yet-teaser-clip.
- ^ "Promo video screen captures". http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2519/3982508564_12591a39e0_o.jpg. Retrieved 2010-11-28.
- ^ "Michael Buble Music Video". Killarney Market. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.153605824659.112122.153586659659&type=1.
- ^ WestVanYouthBand.ca newsletter (PDF file) 2009-09-20.
- ^ "Who's That Boy? Is It Justin Bieber? Is He James Dean? Clint Eastwood? Or Michael Buble?". Marketwire.com. September 28, 2010. http://www.marketwire.com/press-release/Whos-That-Boy-Is-It-Justin-Bieber-Is-He-James-Dean-Clint-Eastwood-Or-Michael-Buble-Michael-1326225.htm.
- ^ Davis, Matthew (May 9, 2010). "Michael Buble". citylife.co.uk. http://www.citylife.co.uk/music/reviews/18252_review__michael_buble___men_arena.
- ^ "Haven't Met You Yet (2track): Michael Buble". Amazon.de. http://www.amazon.de/dp/images/B002PC51UK?img=1. Retrieved August 15, 2011.
- ^ Saturday Night Live: Hamm & Bublé Excerpt (s.35 : ep.13). Hulu.com
- ^ a b "Michael Bublé Video Reply: Russian Unicorn". YouTube. July 21, 2011. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5DvQgIKe2M/. Retrieved August 15, 2011.
- ^ Trust, Gary (April 21, 2010).Chart Beat Wednesday: Top 40 Meets Buble. Billboard.
- ^ "Victoria Times Colonist". Victoria Times Colonist. http://www.timescolonist.com/entertainment/Spain+UVic+makes+heck+YouTube+video+Victoria+UVic+will+counter/3331045/story.html. Retrieved 2010-11-28.
- ^ ""Russian Unicorn" — a bad lip reading of Michael Bublé". YouTube. July 11, 2011. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjaZNYSt7o0. Retrieved August 15, 2011.
- ^ "Michael Buble Live On Ustream". Ustream.tv. http://ustream.tv/recorded/15993556. Retrieved August 15, 2011.
- ^ Levine, Nick (2009-10-18). "Alexandra Burke beats Robbie Williams to No.1". Digital Spy. http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/news/a182549/alexandra-burke-beats-robbie-williams-to-no1.html. Retrieved 2010-11-28.
- ^ "Australia Singes Top 50". Australian Recording Industry Association. acharts.us. October 5, 2009. http://acharts.us/australia_singles_top_50/2009/41. Retrieved 2009-10-04.
- ^ a b c d e f "Haven't Met You Yet, in various singles charts". Lescharts. http://lescharts.com/showitem.asp?interpret=Michael+Bubl%E9&titel=Haven%27t+Met+You+Yet&cat=s. Retrieved January 3, 2010.
- ^ "Top 40 | Hitlijst | Radio 538 = 102 FM". Radio538.nl. 2010-11-19. http://www.radio538.nl/web/show/id=875994. Retrieved 2010-11-28.
- ^ "Meilleures ventes de Titres téléchargés en France (Top Albums)". Chartsinfrance.net. http://www.chartsinfrance.net/charts/titres-telechargement.php,p2. Retrieved 2010-11-28.
- ^ "GFK Chart-Track". Chart-track.co.uk. http://www.chart-track.co.uk/index.jsp?c=p%2Fmusicvideo%2Fmusic%2Farchive%2Findex_test.jsp&ct=240001&arch=t&lyr=2009&year=2009&week=42. Retrieved 2010-11-28.
- ^ "Radio 1 - The Official Chart with Reggie Yates - The Official UK Top 40 Singles Chart". BBC. http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/chart/singles/. Retrieved 2010-11-28.
- ^ "Billboard Hot Adult Contemporary Tracks". Billboard. 2010-01-30. http://www.billboard.com/charts/adult-contemporary?chartDate=2010-01-30#/charts/adult-contemporary?chartDate=2010-01-30. Retrieved 2010-11-28.
- ^ "FIMI - Federazione Industria Musicale Italiana - Ricerche e dati di mercato". Fimi.it. 2010-01-19. http://www.fimi.it/dett_ddmercato.php?id=47. Retrieved 2010-12-18.
- ^ "Charts Plus Year end 2009" (PDF). Charts Plus. http://www.ukchartsplus.co.uk/UKChartsPlusYE2009.pdf. Retrieved 2010-07-19.
- ^ "ARIA Charts – End Of Year Charts – Top 100 Singles 2010". Australian Recording Industry Association. http://www.aria.com.au/pages/aria-charts-end-of-year-charts-top-100-singles-2010.htm. Retrieved 2011-01-08.
- ^ "レコード協会調べ 2009年12月16日～2010年12月14日「着うたフル(R)」 2010年有料音楽配信「年間チャート」（通称：レコ協チャート） [Record Association Analysis: December 16, 2009—December 14, 2010 Full-length Cellphone Download 2010 paid digital sales "Yearly Chart" (Abbreviated: RIAJ Chart)]". RIAJ. December 20, 2010. http://www.riaj.or.jp/release/2010/pdf/pr101220.pdf. Retrieved December 22, 2010.
- ^ "Charts Year End: Canadian Hot 100". Billboard. Nielsen Business Media, Inc. http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/charts/yearendcharts/chart_display.jsp?f=Canadian+Hot+100&g=Year-end+Singles. Retrieved 2010-05-02.
- ^ "End Of Year Charts: 2010". UKChartsPlus. http://www.ukchartsplus.co.uk/UKChartsPlusYE2010.pdf. Retrieved 2011-08-10.
- ^ "Charts Year End: Billboard Hot 100". Billboard. Nielsen Business Media, Inc. http://www.billboard.com/charts/hot-100#/charts-year-end/hot-100-songs?year=2010&begin=31&order=position. Retrieved 2010-12-28.
- ^ "Italian single certifications – Michale Bublé – Michale Bublé" (in Italian) (PDF). Federation of the Italian Music Industry. http://www.fimi.it/temp/cert_GFK_download_362012.pdf. Retrieved 2 January 2012.
- ^ "American single certifications – Michale Bublé – Michale Bublé". Recording Industry Association of America. http://www.riaa.com/goldandplatinumdata.php?artist=%22Michale+Bubl%C3%A9%22. Retrieved 2 January 2012. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH
- ^ by admin (2012-02-22). "Nick Jonas Performing "Haven't Met You Yet" (Video & Audio) - Fansite for NBC's Newest Hit Show "Smash"". Smashtheseries.com. http://www.smashtheseries.com/nick-jonas-performing-havent-met-you-yet-video-audio/. Retrieved 2012-05-17.
- ^ "JonasHQ.Org | Your #1 Fansite and Exclusive Source for the Jonas Brothers » Nick’s Songs from ‘Smash’ Now Available on iTunes". JonasWorld.Org. http://jonasworld.org/?p=29594. Retrieved 2012-05-17.
- ^ a b "The Music of SMASH: SMASH Cast: Music". Amazon.com. http://www.amazon.com/The-Music-SMASH-Cast/dp/B007P6VM04. Retrieved 2012-05-17.
- ^ a b "Nick Jonas and Tony Award Winner Bernadette Peters to Guest Star on NBC's Midseason Musical Drama "Smash"". The Futon Critic. NBC. October 11, 2011. http://thefutoncritic.com/news/2011/10/06/nick-jonas-and-tony-award-winner-bernadette-peters-to-guest-star-on-nbcs-midseason-musical-drama-smash-582204/20111006nbc01/. Retrieved February 14, 2012.
- ^ "Breaking News - Nick Jonas and Tony Award Winner Bernadette Peters to Guest Star on NBC's Midseason Musical Drama "Smash"". TheFutonCritic.com. 2011-10-06. http://thefutoncritic.com/news/2011/10/06/nick-jonas-and-tony-award-winner-bernadette-peters-to-guest-star-on-nbcs-midseason-musical-drama-smash-582204/20111006nbc01/. Retrieved 2012-05-17.
- ^ a b "Haven't Met You Yet (Smash Cast Version Featuring Nick Jonas): Smash Cast: MP3 Downloads". Amazon.com. http://www.amazon.com/Havent-Smash-Version-Featuring-Jonas/dp/B007CSDYKQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=dmusic&qid=1330094653&sr=1-2. Retrieved 2012-05-17.
- ^ http://itunes.apple.com/ca/album/havent-met-you-yet-feat.-nick/id504622461
- ^ "iTunes - Music - Haven't Met You Yet (feat. Nick Jonas) [From the TV Series "SMASH"] - Single by SMASH Cast". Itunes.apple.com. 2012-02-27. http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/havent-met-you-yet-feat.-nick/id504622461. Retrieved 2012-05-17.