Not to be confused with amish
, an Anabaptist Christian denomination..
Hamish is a masculine given name in English. It is the Anglicised form of the vocative case of the Scottish Gaelic Seumas: Sheumais. The Scottish Gaelic Seumas is the equivalent to the English James.
List of people with the given name
- Hamish Blake, (born 1981), Australian comedian and radio presenter
- Hamish Bowles, (born 1963), European Editor-at-Large for Vogue
- Hamish Brown, writer, lecturer and photographer specialising in mountain and outdoor topics
- Hamish Carter, (born 1971), Olympic gold medalist
- Hamish Clark, Scottish actor, famous for playing the part of Duncan McKay in the BBC TV series Monarch of the Glen
- Hamish Cunningham, Professor of Computer Science
- Major Sir Hamish Forbes, 7th Baronet, (1916 - 2007) British Army officer
- Hamish Glencross, (born 1978), Heavy Metal guitarist for the band My Dying Bride
- Hamish Hamilton, British book publishing house and alternative name of its founder, Jamie Hamilton
- Hamish Imlach, (born 1940), Scottish folk singer
- Hamish Linklater, American actor, known for role on The New Adventures of Old Christine
- Hamish Marshall, (born 1979), New Zealand Cricketer
- Hamish Shephard, UK Event Industry Expert
- Hamish McAlpine, (born 1948), Scottish footballer
- Hamish McDonald, Australian broadcast journalist for Al Jazeera English.
- Hamish McKay, New Zealand television presenter
- Hamish Milne, British pianist
- Hamish Rosser, drummer of Australian band, the Vines
- Hamish Stuart, (born 1949), lead singer of Average White Band
- Hamish Wilson, a Scottish actor from Glasgow
- Hamish Wright, Proffesional Skier
List of fictional characters with the given name
- Hamish Alexander, a character in the Honorverse novels by David Weber
- Hamish Campbell, a friend and lieutenant of William Wallace in the 1995 film Braveheart, played by Brendan Gleeson
- Hamish MacLeod, a character in the Ian Rutledge novels by Caroline and Charles Todd
- Hamish and Dougal, comedy characters from Radio 4 series I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue
- Hamish Macbeth, detective in series of novels and television adaptation starring Robert Carlyle as the eponymous hero
- Hamish MacPherson, fictional character from the Baby Blues comic strip and TV series
- Hot Shot Hamish and Mighty Mouse, two former popular British football-themed comic strips
- In Foundation's Edge by Isaac Asimov, the Hamish are the agrarian natives of the planet Trantor after the fall of the Galactic Empi
- John Hamish Watson, a character known as Sherlock Holmes's closest companion in Conan Doyle's classic detective series.
- Hamish, a character in the Nickelodeon TV show Mr. Meaty.
- Hamish Robson a character in the novel Island of The Scottish Soldier by Flaherty O'Keefe