Gravity Falls is an American animated television series created by Alex Hirsch, former writer for The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack and Fish Hooks. The first episode aired as a preview on June 15, 2012 and the series officially debuted on June 29, 2012. The series is rated TV-Y7. On March 12, 2013, Gravity Falls was renewed for a second season at the Disney upfront.
The show follows the adventures of 12-year old twin brother and sister Dipper and Mabel Pines, whose parents send them off to their Great-Uncle Stan in the town of Gravity Falls, Oregon. "Grunkle" Stan lives in and runs The Mystery Shack, a tourist trap which charges visitors for a glimpse at the world's most bizarre museum; but little do Dipper and Mabel know that there really is something very strange going on and they must rely on one another to find their way in this unfamiliar town.
Cast and characters
- Dipper Pines (Jason Ritter), the 12-year-old twin brother of Mabel Pines. Intelligent, he is armed with the book marked "3" he found which helps him with the mystery of the day. An adventurer, Dipper has trouble sitting still and is always looking for the next riddle to solve. His attention to detail seems to be helpful when solving mysteries, but others question his credibility because of his jealousy. He is considered to be intelligent beyond his years and cannot wait to grow up and become a man. His refusal to sit still when there are puzzles to be solved leaves him restless in everyday situations. As someone who is portrayed as goal-oriented and rooted in the details, he sometimes over thinks situations and obsessively makes lists. It is revealed in one of the episodes that Dipper has a crush on Wendy; it is also revealed that he likes bubblegum pop music. He got his name from a birthmark on his forehead that is shaped like the Big Dipper. He secretly wishes he had the name "Tyrone."
- Mabel Pines (Kristen Schaal), the 12-year-old twin sister of Dipper Pines. Mabel is an eccentric, buoyant and energetic optimist, who expresses herself through an assortment of extremely colorful knitted sweaters. Her outgoing, curious personality often helps Dipper solve mysteries, though her acts of silliness are often seen as a burden. Mabel enjoys pre-teen novels and seeks romance (especially in vampires). Despite what she sees as obscurity in Gravity Falls, Mabel stays optimistic. She once went out on a date with Lil' Gideon. It is revealed in "Headhunters" that Mabel has a hobby of doing arts and crafts, and is actually very good at it. In the episode "Irrational Treasure" she is made an official U.S. congresswoman by the 8 1/2 president, her political platform being "legalizing everything." She acquires a pet pig in the episode "The Time Traveler's Pig" and calls it Waddles. In the episode,"The Deep End", it is revealed she gets her first kiss from the merman that was knocked into the pool, and wants to go back to the sea to see his family.
- Grunkle Stan (Alex Hirsch), the great uncle of Dipper and Mabel Pines. He runs and lives in The Mystery Shack, which is called "the world's most bizarre museum". Grunkle Stan is a salesman who has set up a successful shop in town to sell his knickknacks. He puts effort into showmanship, and is able to make money by peddling the trinkets and baubles in his store. He has a drive to make money, and sometimes counterfeits and steals money. When he is not making money, he is at home watching television. Stan usually wears a fez and speaks of the "boys from the lodge", who he claims do not "like" or "trust" him. He sends the twins on what they consider to be outrageous and unpredictable errands, but it is shown that he is protective of them and loves them unconditionally. He has a hidden staircase to an unknown location hidden behind his vending machine.
- Soos (Alex Hirsch), the handyman at the Mystery Shack who works for free. A friend of Dipper and Mabel Pines, Soos is a portly and lovable man-child whose desire to be where the action is makes him an excellent resource for the twins when they need a ride about town. He seems to have a wide variety of talents, specifically DJing, and enjoys bonding with Dipper, doing "boy stuff" such as heating hot dogs in a microwave until they explode. He says "dude" after almost every sentence.
- Wendy Corduroy (Linda Cardellini), a mellow, "cool" 15-year-old girl who is a part-time employee at The Mystery Shack. She is also Dipper's crush, who tries to impress Wendy in several of the episodes. It was revealed that Wendy has had many boyfriends in the past. She has had so many that there is one ex-boyfriend she can not remember if she even broke up with or not. Wendy is the oldest child in her family, and her father is Manly Dan, the lumberjack of Gravity Falls. She is sociable, with many friends who are around her age, and is somewhat tomboyish. Her boyfriend is Robbie, whom Dipper despises for his pursuit of Wendy. She almost always stands up for Dipper in front of Robbie.
- Waddles (Dee Bradley Baker), is Mabel's pet pig. She won Waddles at the fair and ever since then, the two are inseparable. It is shown that Waddles enjoys spending time with Mabel just as much as she enjoys spending time with him.
- Gompers the Goat (Frank Welker), a goat who lives in a forest near the Mystery Shack. Gompers frequently enters the Mystery Shack and once ate all of the household's tin cans, as well as Grunkle Stan's fez.
- Old Man McGucket (Alex Hirsch), the "local kook" of Gravity Falls. Despite his apparent insanity and stereotypically hill-billy demeanor, Old Man McGucket is a technical mastermind, capable of creating massive, complex animatronics. His son works at the lake, but the two seem to have a strained relationship, adding to McGucket's insanity and need for attention.
- Robbie V. (T.J. Miller), a local teenage goth boy, who is Dipper's primary rival for Wendy's affections. He has a bad attitude and it is not unusual for him to mock others, especially Dipper. He has been shown to be skilled in playing guitar, a quality that Wendy finds attractive. Despite his hostile attitude toward most characters, he has been shown to be genuinely caring for Wendy. Robbie and Wendy are dating, much to Dipper's concern.
- Lil' Gideon (Thurop Van Orman), a young boy who owns the "Tent of Telepathy", a successful competitor of the Mystery Shack. He has an unhealthy obsession with Mabel, and thinks Dipper and Grunkle Stan are the only things keeping them apart, when in actuality she has no interest in him. He previously had an amulet that gave him telekinesis, but it was destroyed by Mabel after he attempted to use it to kill Dipper. It is shown that he owns the book marked 2, the previous volume of the book Dipper owns marked 3. His new mission is to gain possession of the Mystery Shack.
- Sheriff Blubs (Kevin Michael Richardson), the Gravity Falls sheriff. He is shown to be rather lazy, often choosing to sit around and drink coffee instead of pursuing a case. Despite his apparent lack of police skills, he has a superiority complex, and often looks down on the kids, undermining their mystery solving abilities. This lazy personality seems to stem from the extremely low amount of crime in Gravity Falls, which is evidenced when Deputy Durland once comments on how unused their equipment is.
- Deputy Durland (Keith Ferguson), a policeman who is also Sheriff Blubs' partner and right-hand man. He is shown to be very unintelligent and childlike, shown when Mabel comments that she does not even think he can read. Sheriff Blubs seems to find these qualities endearing, and refers to him as a "diamond in the rough". Instead of "doing their duties," he and Sheriff Blubs like to joke around (taking their shirts off and running around fire hydrants, etc.).
- Manly Dan (John DiMaggio), the strong lumberjack and Wendy's father. He also has three sons. Manly Dan is unstable and has serious anger issues, often punching or destroying random objects when angry. Manly Dan hangs out at Skull Fracture, a local biker joint at Gravity Falls.
- Tyler the Cute Biker (Will Forte), a scatterbrained biker, who seems to follow and admire Manly Dan.
- Lazy Susan (Jennifer Coolidge), the sluggish woman who works as a waitress in the local diner. She is shown to love fixing things, despite not being at all good at it. She has a lazy eye, and has at least three cats, which are named Donald, Sandy, and Mr. Cat-Face. Grunkle Stan had a crush on her and later gets the guts to win her over, although he later regrets it after she calls him repeatedly, leaving unusual voice messages. Her name is a pun on her lazy eye, as well as the kitchen device.
- Pacifica Northwest (Jackie Buscarino), the most popular girl in Gravity Falls. She comes from a wealthy family, and is the great-great-granddaughter of the supposed founder of Gravity Falls, Nathaniel Northwest (the real founder of Gravity Falls is Quentin Trembly). Pacifica is an unfriendly, sarcastic, spoiled brat and is Mabel's primary rival. Pacifica looks down on Mabel and thinks her eccentric personality is annoying and immature. She uses people's insecurities to manipulate them into doing whatever she wants and despises Mabel for standing up to her. Her name is a pun on Pacific Northwest, the region of the United States, comprised mostly of Washington, Northern California, and Oregon, where the town of Gravity Falls is located.
- Toby Determined (Gregg Turkington), a journalist for the Gravity Falls Gossiper. He is a stereotypical, hard-hitting journalist, but is shown to be terrible at his job. He has a huge crush on local news reporter Shandra Jimenez to the extent that he has a cardboard-cutout of her in his closet and flirts with it when alone as shown in the episode "Headhunters."
- Buddy Gleeful (Stephen Root), Lil' Gideon's polite and well-meaning father. Despite having a neurotic wife and a manipulative child, Bud seems to always look at the brighter side of things, even getting to the point of becoming allies with Grunkle Stan, Gideon's mortal enemy. Besides working at Gideon's "Tent of Telepathy", Bud also sells used cars.
- Candy Chiu (Niki Yang) and Grenda (Carl Faruolo), Mabel's best friends whom she first met during a party at the Mystery Shack. Candy and Grenda are both considered unpopular by Pacifica Northwest and the more social kids, but they have flaws that Mabel overlooks; Candy is shy and insecure, and Grenda has a deep, masculine voice. The two are big fans of Waddles, taking pictures of him on Candy's phone, as seen in Summerween.
A special preview of the series following the Disney Channel Original Movie Let It Shine was watched by 3.4 million viewers. The series garnered high views on its fifth episode, which aired on July 13, 2012, and attracted 3.6 million viewers. On March 15, 2013, the episode "The Deep End " was watched by 4.5 million viewers after the premire of Wizards of Waverly Place: The Wizards Return: Alex vs. Alex becomming its highest rated episode for the series so far.
The series has received nearly universal acclaim. It currently holds a 8.8 rating on TV.com, and 8.6 rating from over 1,500 users on IMDb.com. From critics, the show has received generally positive reviews. Brian Lowry of Variety stated, "The show has a breezy quality that should play to kids, and tickle some twinges of nostalgia among their parents."  While the Los Angeles Times Robert Lloyd referred to the program as "..gently twisted, with some Disneyfied action and heart-warming folded in". In his review, David Hinckley of New York Daily News called Gravity Falls, "quirky and endearing", and offered praise for the character of Mabel Pines. Matt Blum, writing for Wired, favorably compared the show to Cartoon Network's animated program Regular Show and Disney Channel's animated program Phineas and Ferb, hailing Gravity Falls as "clever, strange, and somewhat poignant".
|Country / Region||Channel||Series premiere||Title in country|
| United States||Disney Channel||June 15, 2012 (Preview)|
June 29, 2012 (Premiere)
|August 5, 2012 (Premiere)|
| Canada||Family||June 15, 2012 (Preview)|
July 6, 2012 (Premiere)
|Disney XD (Canada)|
| United Kingdom|
|Disney XD (UK & Ireland)||July 19, 2012 (Preview)|
September 6, 2012 (Premiere)
|Disney Channel (UK & Ireland)||July 20, 2012 (Preview)|
September 7, 2012 (Premiere)
|Disney Channel (Australia)||August 17, 2012 (Preview)|
September 24, 2012 (Premiere)
| France||Disney Channel France||August 29, 2012 (Preview)|
September 5, 2012 (Premiere)
|Souvenirs de Gravity Falls (Memories from Gravity Falls)|
| Poland||Disney Channel Poland||October 20 (Preview)|
November 10, 2012 (Premiere)
|Wodogrzmoty Małe (Small Falls)|
| Hungary||Disney Channel Hungary||Rejtélyek városkája (Town of Mysteries)|
| Czech Republic||Disney Channel Czech Republic||Městečko záhad (Town of Mysteries)|
| Romania||Disney Channel (Romania)||Ciudăţeni (Strangetown)|
| Bulgaria||Disney Channel Bulgaria||Тайните на Гравити Фолс (The Mysteries of Gravity Falls)|
| Ukraine||Disney Channel Ukraine||Таємниці Гравіті Фолз (The Mysteries of Gravity Falls)|
| Brazil||Disney Channel Brazil||September 30(preview)|
October 6, 2012 (Premiere)
|Gravity Falls: Um Verão de Mistérios (Gravity Falls: A Summer of Mysteries)|
|Disney Channel Latin America||Gravity Falls: Un Verano de Misterios (Gravity Falls: A Summer of Mysteries)|
| Japan||Disney Channel Japan||October 26, 2012||Mysterious Zone Gravity Falls (Kaiki Zōn Gurabiti Fōruzu 怪奇ゾーン グラビティフォールズ)|
| Arab World||Disney Channel Middle East||October 19 (Preview)|
November 10, 2012 (Premiere)
|Disney Channel Malaysia||October 27, 2012||Gravity Falls|
|Disney Channel Asia|
| Israel||Disney Channel Israel||November 1, 2012||גרוויטי פולס (Gravity Falls)|
| Hong Kong||Disney Channel Hong Kong||November 30, 2012||神秘小鎮大冒險|
| Russia||Disney Channel (Russia)||2013||Гравити Фолз (Gravity Falls)|
| Italy||Disney Channel (Italy)||2013||Gravity Falls|
|Disney XD (Italy)|
| Greece||Disney Channel (Greece)||October 19, 2012||Ο μυστικός κόσμος του Gravity Falls (The Secret World of Gravity Falls)|
|Disney Channel Scandinavia||October 26, 2012 (Preview)|
November 9, 2012 (Premiere)
| Taiwan||Disney Channel Taiwan||October 31, 2012||神秘小鎮大冒險 (A Big Adventure in a Mysterious Town)|
| Germany||Disney Channel Germany||January 7, 2013||Willkommen in Gravity Falls (Welcome to Gravity Falls)|
| India||Disney Channel India||July 13, 2013||Gravity Falls|
- ^ a b "Watch the Series Preview of Gravity Falls Friday, June 15". Disney. Archived from the original on May 12, 2012.
- ^ BETTER GRAB SOME SUNGLASSES, THE FUTURE AROUND HERE IS BRIGHT, Disney Channel Medianet
- ^ Lowry, Brian (June 12, 2012). "TV Reviews - Gravity Falls". Variety. Archived from the original on June 14, 2012.
- ^ promo
- ^ a b c d e f "Gravity Falls". Disney Channel Media Net. May 2012. Archived from the original on May 26, 2012.
- ^ Twitter / _AlexHirsch: @YazzyDream 21 full half hours
- ^ "Friday Cable Ratings: 'Let it Shine' Premiere, + US Open, 'WWE Friday Night Smackdown', 'Common Law', 'Fairly Legal', & More". TV By the Numbers. Retrieved July 8, 2012.
- ^ Gravity Falls at TV.com
- ^ Gravity Falls at IMDb
- ^ "Gravity Falls - Season 1 Reviews, Ratings, Credits, and More". Metacritic. 2012-06-29. Retrieved 2012-10-11.
- ^ Lowry, Brian (June 12, 2012). "Gravity Falls". Variety. Retrieved July 8, 2012.
- ^ Lloyd, Robert (June 11, 2012). "Review: Bouncy, weightless fun with 'Gravity Falls'". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved July 8, 2012.
- ^ Hinckley, David (June 29, 2012). "New animated Disney series 'Gravity Falls' rises to an endearing level of tween cool". New York Daily News. Retrieved July 8, 2012.
- ^ Blum, Matt (June 28, 2012). "Gravity Falls Rises to the Level of Disney Channel’s Best". Wired Magazine. Retrieved July 8, 2012.
- ^ "Gravity Falls | What’s On | Disney UK". Disney.co.uk. Retrieved 2012-10-11.