From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - View original article
GHS, located in Germantown, was a part of the School District of Philadelphia. The school was built in 1914 which made it one of the oldest in the country. Its students were mostly African-American, despite the previous German population of the region. Students came from the Logan, Germantown, Mt. Airy, Chestnut Hill, and Nicetown-Tioga sections of the city.
The team name was the Bears.
GHS students were required to wear school uniforms. Uniforms consisted of white button up shirts, khaki trousers and navy blue Germantown Promise Academy sweater or cardigan. Apparently uniforms came later. It is a fact that during 1971 to 1972 no uniforms were required.
Feeder middle schools into Germantown included Roosevelt Middle School. K-8 feeder schools into Germantown included Charles W. Henry School, Henry H. Houston School, John S. Jenks School, and Anna L. Lingelbach School.