From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - View original article
Golden Grove or Gelli Aur is a country park with 60 acres (240,000 m2) of wooded parkland surrounding a mansion. It was once the home of the Vaughan and Cawdor families. The park now features a number of nature trails, a 20-acre (81,000 m2) deer park, a 10-acre (40,000 m2) Aboretum planted in the 1860s, the tearooms and the mansion. The park is managed by Carmarthenshire County Council. The Mansion features crow stepped gables, a battlemented portico and tall polygonal chimney stacks. The original Vaughan mansion, built between 1565 and 1570, no longer exists. In 1804 the last of the Vaughans died childless and the Gelli Aur estate passed to the Cawdor family. It was they who built the present mansion between 1827 and 1832. The mansion is now privately owned and is not open to the public.
Since the middle of the 20th century, the house has had a checkered history. During World War II, it housed American airmen. In more recent times, the big house was leased to Carmarthenshire County Council, and one of the five campuses of Carmarthenshire College (Coleg Sir Gâr) was located there. Currently the house is empty.