From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - View original article
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (December 2009)|
Galway Bay (Irish: Loch Lurgan or Cuan na Gaillimhe) is a large bay (or sea lough) on the west coast of Ireland, between County Galway in the province of Connacht to the north and the Burren in County Clare in the province of Munster to the south. Galway city is located on the northeast side of the bay. It is about 50 kilometres (31 mi) long and from 10 kilometres (6.2 mi) to 30 kilometres (19 mi) in breadth. The Aran Islands (Oileáin Árann) are to the west across the entrance and there are numerous small islands within the bay. The approaches to the bay between the Aran Islands and the mainland are as follows; the North Sound (An Súnda ó Thuaidh) lies between Inishmore and Leitir Mealláin in Connemara; it was formerly known as Bealach Locha Lurgan in Irish. Gregory's Sound (Súnda Ghríoghóra) lies between Inishmore and Inishmaan; it was formerly known as Bealach na h-Áite. Foul Sound (An Súnda Salach) lies between Inishmaan and Inisheer; it was formerly known as Bealach na Fearbhaighe. South Sound (An Súnda ó Theas), formerly known as Bealach na Finnise, lies between Inisheer and County Clare.
- Let grasses grow and waters flow
- In a free and easy way
- But give me enough of the rare old stuff
- That's made near Galway Bay
- If we could make chains with the morning dew
- The world would be like Galway Bay
- If you ever go across the sea to Ireland
- Then maybe at the closing of your day
- You will go and see the moon rise over Claddagh
- Or see the sun go down at Galway Bay.
- Have you ever seen the seagulls
- a-flying on to Heaven
- or the crimson sails on Galway Bay
- the fishermen unfurl?
- The boys in the NYPD choir
- are still singing "Galway Bay"
- And the bells are ringing out
- For Christmas day."
From Toasted Heretic's Galway Bay
- The sun goes down on Galway Bay
- and the daughter goes down on me
- Her dads not due until one or
- maybe two and I'm happy as I'll
- ever be
From The Mahones A Drunken Night in Dublin
- A drunk night in Dublin
- Ended up in Galway Bay
Galway Bay from Salthill.