The village often lends its shorter name to businesses and amenities in the adjacent town of Borehamwood, and the names of Elstree and Borehamwood are used interchangeably. Elstree is perhaps best known for the Elstree Film Studios, where a number of famous British films were made, and the BBC's Elstree Studios, where the TV soap opera EastEnders is made; these are both located in Borehamwood.
The local newspaper is the Borehamwood and Elstree Times. Together with Borehamwood, the village is twinned with Offenburg in Germany and Fontenay-aux-Roses in France.
The area of Borehamwood to the west of the railway line, formally Deacon's Hill, is colloquially called Elstree even though it is not contiguous with the village. Elstree South tube station was due to be an extension of the Northern line, planned in the 1930s, but never completed.
The old A5 road (Watling Street) goes through Elstree village, where it is designated as the A5183 road. Through the village, the road is called (from south to north) Elstree Hill South, High Street and Elstree Hill North. The 18th century Grade II listed building, Elstree Hill House, is still on Elstree Hill South, and used to be the home of the old Elstree School (see Schools). In the early 1900s, it was noted that:
".. the hill roads are remarkably direct and seldom curve to avoid the steep pitch, and it has been suggested that the roads were originally slides for the timber which used to be sent to London for fuel."
Elstree Aerodrome is licensed by the CAA and has a paved 717 yards long runway, suitable most for light aircraft and turbine powered G A aircraft. It also is one of the main helicopter centres for North London and is extending its provision in this area. In the early 1930s it was a grass landing strip for the local Aldenham House country club. A concrete runway was put down during World War II, and Wellington Bombers were modified here. On Saturday 31 November 1975, retired F1 driver and Embassy Hill car owner Graham Hill and his racing driver Tony Brise were piloting Piper PA-23-350 Aztec N6645Y from France to London, United Kingdom. Hill and Brise was killed when Hill's light aircraft crashed on Arkley Golf Course, 3 miles short of the airport.
London Transport works
London Transport's Aldenham Works was sited on the edge of Elstree close to the A41; it was opened in 1956, closed in 1986, and demolished in 1996. It is now a large business park.
Originally a 19th-century steam ship owned by the Houlder Brothers, the town also lends its name to a series of ships called the Elstree Grange (rebuilt 1916, 1944, 1979), at one time sunk during the Second World War.
Grade II listed buildings
Holly Bush public house (15th century)
House at Elstree designed by E.J. May, and exhibited at the Royal Academy in 1887.
Elstree is home to a number of Grade II listed buildings, including some at Grade II* (particularly important buildings), such as:
Hillside School was located in Elstree between 1874 and 1886, before eventually becoming Dorset House School in 1905, (not to be confused with Hillside School in nearby Borehamwood.)
Elstree Cricket Club was formed in 1878, but no longer play in the Herts Saracens League. 18-hole Radlett Park Golf Club was founded in 1984, having recently being renamed from Elstree Golf & Country Club. It is closer to Elstree than Radlett.
Bush, Alba and Cyber-Duck are based in Elstree. There is a local doctor's practice called Shopwick Surgery. There is one convenience store, pubs and a restaurant. A liberial synagogue and the newly built shteibel are off Elstree Hill.
Elstree is home to Ohr Yisrael Synagogue, a warm and friendly Orthodox synagogue with affiliation to the Federation of Synagogues
The dam was built in 1795 by French prisoners of war. English watercolour landscape painter John Hassell writes:
"At the top of Stanmore Hill we enter on Bushy Heath, and at some distance on the right in the valley catch a view of the celebrated reservoir, the property of the Grand Junction Company, on Aidenham Common, at the foot of the village of Elstree. This noble sheet of water occupies a space of considerable extent on the verge of Aidenham Common, which thirty years ago was a barren waste; here the improvements in agriculture are indeed conspicuous, for at this place a poor, sandy, meagre, wretched soil has now by good husbandry been converted into rich pasturage.
"The reservoir has all the appearance of a lake; and when the timber that surrounds it shall have arrived at maturity, it will be a most delightful spot. From this immense sbeet of water, in event of drought or a deficiency of upland waters, the lower parts of the Grand Junction and the Paddington Canals can have an immediate supply. The feeder from this reservoir enters the main stream near Rickmansworth, above Batchworth Mills, and supplies the millers' below with 300 locks of water, to whose interest the Duke of Northumberland is a perpetual trustee."
The name "Elstree" derives from the Anglo-Saxon phrase "Tidwulf's Tree", which is mentioned as "Tidulfres treow" in an 11–12th-century manuscript of an A.D. 786 charter. It is thought that "the "T" being lost in the wrong division of 'aet Tidwulfes treo'" (meaning "at Tidwulf's Tree").
Nemus aquilinum: a place wherit may be thought Eagles bredd in time past, for though it be nowe hilly and heathy – it hath beene replenished with stately trees, fit for such fowle to breede and harbour in. It is parcell of the libertie of S. Albans.
Nemus aquilinum is the Latin for "grove of eagles".
"Idlestrey or Elstre, is a Village on the Roman Watling-street, on the very Edge of Middlesex; but it is chiefly noted for its Situation, near Brockly-hill, by Stanmore, which affords a lovely View cross Middlesex, over the Thames, into Surry."
"The name of this place has been variously written; — Eaglestree, Elstree, Ilstrye, Idlestrye, etc. Norden says that it is called, in Offa's grant to the Abbey of St. Alban's, Eaglestree, that is, says he, "Nemus aquilinum, a 'place where it may be thought that eagles bred in time past'." It has been derived also from Idel-street, i.e. the noble road; and Ill-street, the decayed road. May it not have been, rather, a corruption of Eald-street, the old road, i.e. the ancient Watling-street, upon which it is situated?"
"Nennius, M.H.B. p. 69, calls the place of battle where Hors fell Episford; Britannicè 'Sathenegabail' = the Saxon battle. The Saxon Chronicle, ad a. 455, calls it Ægæles-threp, and Henry of Huntingdon, M.H.B. p. 708, Ailestreu. This would naturally be Elstree, of which name there is a place in Herts; but Beda's description of its situation has caused it rather to be referred to Aylesford in Kent, near which is a small village called Horsted."
In 1607, Anthony Denny's grandson Edward Denny sold part of the estate, with all manorial rights, to Robert Briscoe, who sold it the same year to Sir Baptist Hicks. Part of the estate became the Manor of Boreham, and was sold to Edward Beauchamp. It remained with the Beauchamp-Proctor family until 1748, when it was sold to James West, M.P. for St. Albans, who, in or about 1751, alienated it to a Mr Gulston of Widdial[clarification needed]. Gulston then sold it to a Mr Pigfatt, a gunsmith, who, within a few years, conveyed it to Thomas Jemmet. In 1774 it was purchased from Mr Jemmet by the late George Byng, M.P. for Middlesex, who passed it on to his son, by which time the estate was called the Manor of Boreham.
In 1776, the House of Lords granted:
"An Act for dividing and closing the Common or Waste Ground, called Boreham Wood Common, in the Parish of Elstree otherwise Idletree, in the County of Hertford."
"The parish of Elstree contains about 3,000 acres of land, which is divided between arable and pasture nearly in an equal proportion. The soil is, for the most part, clay. Boreham Wood, a waste of nearly 700 acres, was inclosed about the year 1778, and is now in culture. This parish pays the sum of £151 11s 0d to the land-tax, which is raised by a rate of about 1s 9d in the pound".
The burial of William Weare at the parish church in Elstree.
Martha Ray murder
The Elstree Murder of Eliza Ebborn on 17 August 1882 by George Stratton, as illustrated in The Illustrated Police News Saturday, 11 November 1882
In 1823 Elstree became notorious for the Elstree murder of William Weare, killed in Radlett and the body disposed of in a pond in Elstree by John Thurtell. The incident was recalled by Charles Dickens in his Weekly Journal. An inquest of the deceased was held on 31 October by county coroner Benjamin Rooke at the local Artichoke public house.
The Elstree murder of Eliza Ebborn
On 17 August 1882, Eliza Ebborn of Watford was murdered by 24-year-old shoemaker George Stratton, who was subsequently sentenced to death. She was buried at Elstree Parish Church.
Elstree Rural District armorial bearings (1957–1974)
From 1941 to 1974, Elstree Rural District was the local government area, before being abolished and merged with Hertsmere. On 20 March 1957, Armorial Bearings were granted. The arms and crest are described as follows:
The background of royal ermine, represents the royal visits to and associations with the district, principally the visit of Henry VIII and his court to Tyttenhanger in 1525 to avoid the "sweatinge sicknesse" and the visits of Charles II to Salisbury Hall in Shenley. The oak tree with the Saxon crown represents Saxon Elstree – "Tidwulf's tree" – around which the district has grown. The tree also represents Boreham Wood and the district's woodlands, the gold acorns symbolize growth and prosperity. The waves at the base represent the River Colne, Aldenham Reservoir and link with the waves in the arms of the Hertfordshire CC and the Greater London Council.The gold saltire on blue is from the arms of the Abbey of St. Albans, the manor of Elstree came into the possession of the Abbey in 1188, and Tyttenhanger in Ridge stands on the site of a former possession of the Abbey, and the whole area lies in the Liberty of St. Albans. The scallop shells, the badge of pilgrims, recalls their passage along Watling Street through Elstree to St. Albans.
The hart is from one of the supporters of the County Council arms, wearing a mural crown, symbol of civic government. The spool of film (unique in civic heraldry) recalls the industry which had made the name of Elstree and Boreham Wood so widely known in modern times.
The motto is taken from the wall of Shenley Cage, and also links with the County motto "Trust and fear not". "
Elstree is replicated as a part of one of three maps is based in the game Urban Dead. The "Borehamwood" map was released as part of the promotional campaign for the release of British writer Charlie Brooker's Dead Set.
^ abRichard Davenport-Hines, ‘Dawson, Sir (Arthur) Trevor, first baronet (1866–1931)’, Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, Oxford University Press, 2004; online edn, May 2009 accessed 21 September 2011
^M. H. Port, ‘Hardwick, Philip (1792–1870)’, Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, Oxford University Press, 2004; online edn, May 2008 accessed 25 September 2011
^Flight magazine, Stanley Spooner, editor. No. 471. (No. 1, Vol. X.) 3 January 1918. (page 1014)
^George Salveson & Lyn Blackmore, "Excavations at Elstree Hill South, 1981 – 1983", Transactions of the London & Middlesex Archaeological Society, Volume 36, 1985. (Website)(Google Books snippet)
^John Field, "Discovering Place-Names: A Pocket Guide to Over 1500 Place-names in England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales", Issue 102 of Shire Discovering, Publisher Osprey Publishing, 2008, ISBN 0-7478-0617-9, ISBN 978-0-7478-0617-2, 72 pages (page 23)
^Gover, J.E.B.; Mawer, A.; Stenton, F.M. eds., "The place-names of Hertfordshire", English Place-Name Society, 15 (1938)
^John Norden, Speculum Britanniæ: an historical and chorographical description of Middlesex and Hartfordshire, Published 1723 (page 5 (65))
^Speculi Britan[n]iae pars the description of Hartfordshire by Iohn Norden., London, Printed by Thomas Dawson, 1598 (page 17)
^Daniel Defoe, A tour through the whole island of Great Britain: Divided into circuits or journeys, Printed for S. Birt, T. Osborne, 1748. (page 175)
^Daniel Lysons, The Environs of London: pt.1. Surrey. Volume 1, Part 2 of The Environs of London: Being an Historical Account of the Towns, Villages, and Hamlets, Within Twelve Miles of that Capital: Interspersed with Biographical Anecdotes, Printed for T. Cadell and W. Davies, 1811. (page 767)
^Edw Stillingfleet, Origines Britannicae; or, the antiquities of the British churches. Publisher University Press, 1842, 582 pages (page 482)
^George Herbert Moberly (1837–1895), Bede, the Venerable, Saint, 673–735; Publ. 1881 Oxonii: E Typographeo Clarendoniano (page 37)
^ abcdefDaniel Lysons, 'The Environs of London: Counties of Herts, Essex & Kent. Volume 4 of The Environs of London: Being an Historical Account of the Towns, Villages and Hamlets, Within Twelve Miles of that Capital, Publisher T. Cadell, 1796 (page 25)
^J. Britton and E. W. Brayley, The beauties of England and Wales; or, Delineations... of each county, Publ. 1808 (page 316)
^"The twelve churches; or, tracings along the Watling Street", Publisher Rivingtons, 1860, 56 pages (page 40)
^<Journals of the House of Lords, Volume 34, Publisher HMSO, 1774 (page 614)
^Daniel Lysons, 'The Environs of London: Counties of Herts, Essex & Kent. Volume 4 of The Environs of London: Being an Historical Account of the Towns, Villages, and Hamlets, Within Twelve Miles of that Capital, Publisher T. Cadell, 1796
^Authoress of Red Rose, The twelve churches; or, tracings along the Watling street, Publ. Rivingtons, London 1860, 56 pages (page 39)
^John Thurtell, A full account of the atrocious murder of the late Mr. W. Weare: containing the examinations before the magistrates, the proceedings of the coroner's inquest, with the whole of the evidence; the confessions of Hunt, and the statements of the other prisoners, verbatim, publ. Sherwood, Jones and Co., 1823, 56 pages (full text at Google Books)
^Charles Dickens, All the year round, Volumes 15–16, "Dec 8, 1866", Publisher Charles Dickens, 1866 (page 521)
^John Thurtell, A full account of the atrocious murder of the late Mr. W. Weare: containing the examinations before the magistrates, the proceedings of the coroner's inquest, with the whole of the evidence; the confessions of Hunt, and the statements of the other prisoners, verbatim, Published by Sherwood, Jones, and Co., 1823. 56 pages (page 13)
^The Illustrated Police News, Saturday, 11 November 1882; Issue 978.
^"Alleged Murder at Elstree", The Times, Tuesday, 22 August 1882; pg. 8; Issue 30592; col E
^"Elstree Parish Records Hertfordshire", The National Archives, website. Retrieved 10 October 2011 (ref)
^William Betham, The baronetage of England: or The History of the English baronets, and such baronets of Scotland, as are of English families; with genealogical tables, and engravings of their coats of arms, Publisher: Burrell and Bransby, 1803. (page 234)
^Chaplin, Arnold, The illness and death of Napoleon Bonaparte: a medical criticism publ. 1913. In this specific scanned book at Archive.org, before the title page, is a newspaper cutting dated April 1931, which reads: "NAPOLEON'S SURGEON. Workmen removing a shrub in Elstree Churchyard, Herts, at the foot of the church tower, uncovered a stone marking the family vault of Francis Burton, M.D., of the 12th Royal Lancers, who died in October 1828, aged 41. // Dr. Burton, who lived at Boreham House, Elstree, was surgeon at St. Helena when Napoleon died there. // Sir Richard Burton, the famous Eastern traveller, who was baptised in Elstree Church in September 1821, was brought up at Boreham House."
^H. M. Sinclair, ‘Chick, Dame Harriette (1875–1977)’, rev. David F. Smith, Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, Oxford University Press, 2004; online edn, Jan 2008 accessed 19 September 2011
^Dorothy Jones, ‘Cowan, Samuel Tertius (1905–1976)’, Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, Oxford University Press, 2004 accessed 19 September 2011
^John Burke, A genealogical and heraldic history of the commoners of Great Britain and Ireland, enjoying territorial possessions or high official rank: but uninvested with heritable honours, Volume 3, Publ. for Henry Colburn, by R. Bentley, 1836 (page 423)
^William Page (editor), 'Parishes: Elstree', A History of the County of Hertford: volume 2 (pp. 349–351)
^Joan C. Beal, ‘Elphinston, James (1721–1809)’, Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, Oxford University Press, 2004 accessed 21 September 2011