Dominican College of Tarlac

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - View original article

Dominican College of Tarlac
Seal of the Dominican Order
Seal of the Dominican College of Tarlac
MottoFides, Patria, Sapientia
Motto in EnglishAffective, Psycho Motor, Cognitive
EstablishedFebruary 14, 1947 (67 years and 6 days)
TypePrivate college, Catholic school
Religious affiliationRoman Catholic, Dominican
Academic staff200+
LocationPhilippines Capas, Tarlac, Philippines
Former namesSan Nicolas Academy, Dominican School
ColorsWhite,Gray and Skyblue             
Websitewww.dct.edu.ph
 
Jump to: navigation, search
Dominican College of Tarlac
Seal of the Dominican Order
Seal of the Dominican College of Tarlac
MottoFides, Patria, Sapientia
Motto in EnglishAffective, Psycho Motor, Cognitive
EstablishedFebruary 14, 1947 (67 years and 6 days)
TypePrivate college, Catholic school
Religious affiliationRoman Catholic, Dominican
Academic staff200+
LocationPhilippines Capas, Tarlac, Philippines
Former namesSan Nicolas Academy, Dominican School
ColorsWhite,Gray and Skyblue             
Websitewww.dct.edu.ph

Dominican College of Tarlac is a Catholic school founded by the Fr. Mariano Sablay in 1947 Capas, Tarlac, Philippines.

It was established as San Nicolas Academy with 35 students, and now as Dominican College of Tarlac (DCT) it has more than 3000 students and more than 100 staff members.

St. Dominic, the founder of Order of Preachers (O.P.), is the patron saint of DCT.

History[edit]

Dominican College of Tarlac owes its existence to the late Fr. Mariano M. Sablay, Parish Priest of San Nicolas de Tolentino of Capas, Tarlac in 1946.

San Nicolas Academy was established on February 14, 1947. Only 35 students enrolled for the first and second year classes which were conducted at the old convent of the Parish Church.

The first commencement exercises was held in March 1950 with 14 successful graduates. In 1960, the Dominican Sisters took over the administration of the institution with Sr. Rosalina Mirabueno, O.P. as Principal. The Completion of the main building brought about the enrolment of more students which eventually lead to the expansion of facilities.

In 1967, SNA was renamed Dominican School- in honor of St. Dominic, founder of the Order of Preachers. Through the years, religious Sisters took turns in serving as principal, to wit: Sr. Ma. Rosalina Mirabueno, Sr. Ines Fider, Sr. Irene Lapus, Sr. Ma. Magdalena Ofalto, Sr. Catalina Saligumba, Sr. Carmen Tiamzon, Sr. Loreto Penuliar, Sr. Catherine Cachero, and Sr. Caridad Bayani at present.

March of 1973 was the last commencement exercises under the Religious Missionaries of St. Dominic. From then on, the new congregation of Daughters of St. Dominic took over the reign of the school this time under a diocesan congregation with Bishop Jesus J. Sison at the helm.

1980 marked a milestone in its history when Sr. Carmen Tiamzon, principal of DS then, envisioned that the school could be of better service to the community of Capas and neighboring towns if it could offer tertiary education.

What started as simple typing classes, the "mustard seed" grew slowly into college department that now boasts of courses like Computer Secretarial, Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Elementary Education, and Bachelor of Secondary Education. Government recognition was given to the above-mentioned courses in 1985, 1997 and 1999 respectively. In 2005 and 2006, DCT has given accreditation by TESDA to hold Hotel and Restaurant Management, Practical Nursing, and Contact Center Training which made the enrolment in college bullish and competitive.

To gain recognition from the Commission on Higher Education is not smooth sailing. The college took a higher dimension through the efforts of Mrs. Remedios Briones, Dean of the College Department, Mr. Rolando Baun, DCT Registrar who endured the pains of accomplishing voluminous paper works, and Sr. Caridad Bayani to whom DCT owes a great part of its present status.

From a beginnings of 35 students when the institution was established as San Nicolas Academy the students has grown to over 2000 to date, backed up by a faculty, administration and support staff of more than one hundred under its new name Dominican College of Tarlac.

DCT is affiliated with Dominican Network of Schools, Catholic Educational Association of the Philippines, Tarlac Diocesan Schools Association, Private Secondary Schools Association and Private Schools Association among others.

Sister Schools[edit]