From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - View original article
Del Valle Independent School District (DVISD) is a public school district with its headquarters in the Edward A. Neal Administration Building in the Del Valle community and in unincorporated Travis County, Texas (USA).
The school district serves much of southeast Travis County. Incorporated communities in the district include Creedmoor, Webberville, most of Mustang Ridge, and parts of Austin. The Garfield census-designated place and the unincorporated communities of Elroy, Hornsby Bend, and Pilot Knob also lie within the district.
Originally the facilities of the Colorado Common School District Number 36 were at the intersection of U.S. Highway 183 and Texas State Highway 71. In 1952 the City of Austin annexed about one third of the district territory, including Montopolis and the property of the Austin Country Club. Since the existing school buildings were located on that property, the district needed to find a new location for its schools. Popham Elementary School opened across from Bergstrom Air Force Base; when Bergstrom was in operation, the district served the children living on the base. At the time the district taught grades one through eight. High school students attended the Austin Independent School District.
In 1954 the school district annexed the Dry Creek School District. The district annexed the Pilot Knob districts in 1956. During that year, Del Valle Junior-Senior High School, serving grades seven through ten, opened. Grade 11 appeared in 1957, and grade 12 appeared in 1958. In 1958 the sports stadium, Cardinal Field, opened followed by a field house in 1962. A building program passed in the 1959-1960 school year lead to the opening of a new junior high school. The Elroy Common School District merged into the Colorado common school district in 1961, forming the largest common school district in the state. In April 1963 the school district changed its name to the Del Valle Independent #910. In September 1966 the district annexed the Creedmoor Common School District #41. In 1967 the Hornsby-Dunlap Common School District was annexed.
Smith Elementary School and a new middle school opened on the site of the Del Valle High School campus in 1972. In the 1981-1982 school year Hillcrest Elementary opened. Baty opened as a result of a bond program in 1984. When the City of Austin wanted to build Austin-Bergstrom International Airport in an area that housed Del Valle's high school and three elementary schools, voters approved a $38.1 million bond to build the schools in a new location. Baty Elementary, Hillcrest Elementary, Popham Elementary, and Del Valle High School moved.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Del Valle Independent School District.|