|Date A Live|
(Dēto A Raibu)
|Genre||Romantic comedy, Sci-fi|
|Written by||Kōshi Tachibana|
|Published by||Fujimi Shobo|
|Imprint||Fujimi Fantasia Bunko|
|Original run||March 19, 2011 – ongoing|
|Anime television series|
|Directed by||Keitaro Motonaga|
|Written by||Hideki Shirane|
|Music by||Go Sakabe|
Premiere AiringScheduled Airing
March 16, 2013 – scheduled
April 6, 2013 - scheduled
Date A Live (デート・ア・ライブ) is a Japanese light novel series written by Kōshi Tachibana and illustrated by Tsunako. It will be adapted into an anime television series in 2013.
Thirty years ago a strange phenomena called a "spacequake" devastated the center of Eurasia, claiming the lives of at least 150 million people. Since then, smaller spacequakes plague the world on a irregular basis. Shidō Itsuka, a seemingly ordinary high schooler comes across a mysterious girl at the ground zero of a spacequake and learns from his sister Kotori she is one of the "Spirits" who are the real cause of the spacequakes that occur when they manifest themselves in the world. He also learns that Kotori is the captain of the airship Ratatoskr and recruits him to make use of his mysterious ability to seal the Spirits' powers and stop them from being a threat to mankind. However, there is a catch: to seal a Spirit, he must make her fall in love with him.
- Shidō Itsuka (五河 士道 Itsuka Shidou)
- Voiced by: Nobunaga Shimazaki
- Protagonist of the story, possesses a strange power that allows him to seal the powers of a spirit in his body. Abandoned by his birth mother, he lives with his foster sister Kotori. He meets his real sister Mana Takamiya later in volume 3.
- Tōka Yatogami (夜刀神 十香 Yatogami Tohka)
- Voiced by: Marina Inoue
- First spirit saved by Shidou. She transfers into his class at the end of the first volume.
- Origami Tobiichi (鳶一 折紙 Tobiichi Origami)
- Voiced by: Misuzu Togashi
- Classmate of Shidou and a member of AST.
- Kotori Itsuka (五河 琴里 Itsuka Kotori)
- Voiced by: Ayana Taketatsu
- Shidou's foster sister who was a human that gained the power of Spirit who was apparently saved by Shidou five years prior to the start of the main story. Her Angel is Camael, a battleaxe that is capable of changing shape to a cannon that extends to her right elbow. Her destructive tendencies increase when using Camael. She takes back her powers from Shidou in Volume 4 to save him from Kurumi and her power was sealed by Shidou once more.
- She has red hair, often in twin ponytails, and her eyes are red.
- Yoshino (四糸乃 Yoshino)
- Voiced by: Iori Nomizu
- Second spirit saved by Shidou and she has a very shy personality, depending on her puppet in her left hand, [Yoshinon] most of time for communication. Her Angel is Zadkiel, a giant rabbit puppet that she summons and controls with her right hand. It is capable of breathing out freezing air that freezes the AST members along with their territory. [Yoshinon] is another personality that was born out of Yoshino's wish to not be alone.
- Kurumi Tokisaki (時崎 狂三 Tokisaki Kurumi)
- Voiced by: Asami Sanada
- The third spirit that appears in the series. The most brutal spirit to appear in the series. Her Astral Dress is made out of crimison and black frills, giving her the appearance of a Gothic Lolita. Her left eye is an inorganic clock face, with the clock hands moving in the opposite direction, representing her life. She transfers into Shidou's class in Volume 3. She is attracted to Shidou from the very start, gaining the ire of Tohka and Origami. She is very aggressive in her actions, causing Shidou to be bewildered during his mission on making her fall in love with him. She has a history with Mana, Mana has been repeatedly killing Kurumi fails as Kurumi keeps reappearing thanks to her Angel, Zafkiel.
- Her Angel, which takes the form of a massive clock face with a rifle and a handgun of intricate designs taking the place of the minute and hour hands of the clock, allows her to control time. She is able to summon her past selves to fight or take her place as they are essentially Kurumi herself. The twelve Roman numerals on the clock has different powers that only the original Kurumi can use. Her power causes her life to be eaten away, the clock hands on her eye rapidly turning in the clockwise direction each time she uses Zafikel's power. This forces her to obtain 'time' from outside sources, specifically from killing other humans. She reveals to Shidou that she transferred to Raizen High School in order to eat him, or specifically the power that he has within him. She was defeated in the start of Volume 4 by Kotori, with a fourth Zafikel's clock face and her left arm blasted away by Camael.
- Kaguya Yamai (八舞 耶倶矢 Yamai Kaguya)
- Yuzuru Yamai (八舞 夕弦 Yamai Yuzuru)
- Reine Murasame (村雨 令音 Murasame Reine)
- Voiced by: Aya Endō
- Kyōei Kannazuki (神無月 恭平 Kannazuki Kyōei)
- Voiced by: Takehito Koyasu
AST (Anti-Spirits Team)
- Ryōko Kusakabe (日下部 燎子 Kusakabe Ryōko)
- Mana Takamiya (崇宮 真那 Takamiya Mana)
- Voiced by: Misato
- One of the members of AST, and also revealed to be the real sister of Shidō, She does not have any memories from that time, just a picture which was her only proof that she had a brother.