Croix-Rouge

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - View original article

 
Jump to: navigation, search

Croix-Rouge was the first terminus (put in service in 1923) of line 10 of the Paris Métro, and is now closed.

The Timpion[edit]

The station is situated in the 6th arrondissement of Paris, between the stations Sèvres - Babylone and Mabillon.

The name of the station comes from the intersection named Croix-Rouge situated at the beginning of the rue du Cherche-Midi and is unrelated to the organization founded after the construction of the station (International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement, often referred to as the Croix-Rouge in French).

The station was closed on September 2, 1939 with France's entry into the Second World War and the mobilization of agents from the Compagnie du chemin de fer métropolitain de Paris (CMP). It was never reopened due to its proximity to the station Sèvres - Babylone.

The bus stop at the same location retained this name until December 31, 2005, when it was renamed Michel-Debré, after Michel Debré, the prime minister of the Fifth Republic and co-author of the Constitution of France. There therefore no longer exists any trace of this name in use, which had before been in use for several centuries, apart from the street sign "Carrefour de la Croix-Rouge" at the intersection.

Coordinates: 48°51′07″N 2°19′46″E / 48.85194°N 2.32944°E / 48.85194; 2.32944