Coolidge is a city in Hamilton County, Kansas, United States. As of the 2010 census, the city population was 95.
The city of Coolidge was named after Thomas Jefferson Coolidge, the former president of the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway.
Coolidge is located at 38°2′32″N 102°0′37″W / 38.04222°N 102.01028°W (38.042318, -102.010210). According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 0.5 square miles (1.3 km2), all of it land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 86 people, 36 households, and 25 families residing in the city. The population density was 187.4 people per square mile (72.2/km²). There were 41 housing units at an average density of 89.3 per square mile (34.4/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 70.93% White, 26.74% from other races, and 2.33% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 33.72% of the population.
There were 36 households out of which 33.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 66.7% were married couples living together, 5.6% had a female householder with no husband present, and 27.8% were non-families. 27.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 22.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.39 and the average family size was 2.88.
In the city the population was spread out with 19.8% under the age of 18, 8.1% from 18 to 24, 24.4% from 25 to 44, 19.8% from 45 to 64, and 27.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 43 years. For every 100 females there were 83.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 86.5 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $36,250, and the median income for a family was $36,250. Males had a median income of $22,000 versus $26,250 for females. The per capita income for the city was $17,485. There were no families and 3.0% of the population living below the poverty line, including no under eighteens and 6.3% of those over 64.
In the 1983 movie National Lampoon's Vacation starring Chevy Chase as Clark Griswold, the Griswolds visits Cousin Eddie and his family, who live on a farm outside Coolidge.
- ^ a b "2010 City Population and Housing Occupancy Status". U.S. Census Bureau. http://factfinder2.census.gov/faces/tableservices/jsf/pages/productview.xhtml?pid=DEC_10_PL_GCTPL2.ST13&prodType=table. Retrieved August 31, 2011.
- ^ a b "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder.census.gov. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- ^ "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. http://geonames.usgs.gov. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- ^ Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railway : Annual Meetings, and Directors and Officers : Volumes 7; AT&SF Railway; 1902. (12MB PDF)
- ^ "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. http://www.census.gov/geo/www/gazetteer/gazette.html. Retrieved 2011-04-23.