Connaught Road Central is a main thoroughfare that runs the length of Central, parallel to the north shore. It runs from approximately Admiralty in the east, where it connects into Harcourt Road, to the Shun Tak Centre in the west, where the road becomes Connaught Road West.
1911 map showing Connaught Road on the Central waterfront, and its many piers.
This road was once a waterfront promenade with boats docked against the northern side of the road. In 1889, the north shore of Victoria City was under extensive reclamation. At the time of the prince's visit, Francis Fleming, then acting governor, announced a new road extension beginning from the old "Bowring Praya", which was to be renamed Des Voeux Road. The new praya would be named Connaught Road, after Prince Arthur, Duke of Connaught and Strathearn when he visited Hong Kong in 1890. A statue of the Duke once occupied the junction of Pedder Street. Connaught Road West was lined with many piers in the past. Rice wholesalers gathered there owing to its proximity to the shore. Due to reclamation of the harbour, the whole of Connaught Road has now become landlocked.