Located at the northern end of South Park, the town is a historic railroad settlement. It sits approximately one-half mile (1 km) west of U.S. Route 285, approximately 9 miles (15 km) northeast of Fairplay. It is accessible by an unpaved county road off Highway 285 leading northwest over Boreas Pass (to Breckenridge) in the Front Range. The mountains northwest of town form a dramatic background to the town site, which sits on the flank of Little Baldy Mountain.
It is believed the town was named by miners from Como, Italy who came to work the coal fields of the area. In 1879 the town became the location of a depot of the Denver, South Park and Pacific Railroad, which was extended over Kenosha Pass to reach the silver mining areas during the Colorado Silver Boom. Later, the town served as a division point for trains going northward over Boreas Pass and southward toward Garos and over Trout Creek Pass at the western end of South Park. The town has many historic weathered structures, including the roundhouse, hotel and depot and has the air of a ghost town that is still nevertheless populated, by 20 people. It has a small commercial district consisting of a post office, gallery, hotel and general store. The depot is currently under renovation with intention of turning it into a principal tourist attraction in the area.