The Columbia Residences, formerly known as the Columbia Hospital for Women, in Washington, D.C.
The Columbia Hospital for Women was a hospital located in Washington, D.C. Originally opening in 1866 as a health-care facility for wives and widows of Civil War soldiers, it moved in 1870 from Thomas Circle to its later location at 2425 L Street, NW in the West End neighborhood. The Columbia became a private, non-profit hospital when President Dwight D. Eisenhower signed legislation transferring it to a board of directors in 1953. The facility closed in 2002 and the building was converted into a condominium, The Columbia Residences.
Among the more than 250,000 persons born at Columbia Hospital for Women were Duke Ellington, Al Gore, and Katherine Heigl.
Coordinates: 38°54′15″N 77°3′9″W / 38.90417°N 77.05250°W