The Coachella Valley Unified School District is a public school district in Riverside County, California, United States, with headquarters in Thermal. The District serves a 100-square-mile (260 km2) area, including the city of Coachella, a portion of Indio, south of Avenues 48 or 49, and Salton City in Imperial County..
The CVUSD headquarters is located at 87225 Church St., Thermal, CA 92272. The district accommodates a fast-growing population of the area, which is predominantly Hispanic (over 80% of CVUSD students, excluding those from seasonal migrant laborers) and residents from Coachella are a large portion of students in the high school.
The CVUSD has 14 elementary schools, 3 middle schools and 3 high schools, plus one continuation high school and one special school for teenage mothers.
The oldest schools in CVUSD include: Coachella Valley High (joined the CVUSD in the 1960s when created out of Coachella Public Schools). Palm View opened in 1939, Bobby Duke and Peter Pendelton schools opened in the 1940s, and Valley View school opened in the 1950s. Mecca and Oasis schools were county schools, so was Kokell school in Thermal, they joined the CVUSD in the 1970s.
Elementary (grades K to 6)
- Cesar Chavez Elementary, Coachella, CA - opened in 1991/92.
- Coral Mountain Elementary, Coachella, CA - opened in 2006/07.
- John Kelley School, Thermal, CA (replaced Kokell school) in 1991-92.
- Las Palmitas Elementary, Thermal, CA - opened 2003/2004.
- Mecca Elementary School, Mecca, CA -new facility.
- Mountain Vista Elementary, Indio, CA - opened in 2003/04.
- Oasis Elementary School, Oasis, CA (Grades K-8) - new facility.
- Palm View Elementary, Coachella, CA - opened 1939, renovated.
- Peter Pendleton Elementary, Coachella, CA (was Middle school, switched in 1991/92).
- Saul Martinez Elementary, Mecca, CA - opened in 1998/99.
- Sea View (renamed Salton Beach) Elementary (Grades K-8), Salton City, CA - new facility.
- Valle Del Sol Elementary, Coachella, CA - opened in 2006/07.
- Valley View Elementary, Coachella, CA - opened in 1950/51 - oldest CVUSD grade school.
- Westside Elementary School, Thermal, CA. - originally began 1963, moved to current site 1989-90 (was K-8 school).
Proposed Elementary Schools.
Middle Schools (grades 7 & 8)
- Bobby Duke Middle School (formerly Dateland Middle and was middle school 1961 to 94, briefly an elementary school, 1994 to 2010). 
- Cahuilla Desert Academy (CDA), Coachella, CA, opened in 1996/97.
- Toro Canyon Middle School, Thermal, CA, opened in 2004/05.
- Coachella Valley High School in Coachella, oldest CVUSD school in existence. (annexed by city in 1980).
- Desert Mirage High School in "Ed(ucation) Park" opened in 2004/05 in Thermal.
- La Familia continuation High School (formerly Kokell School closed in 1991).
- West Shores High School (grades 7-12, now 9-12), Salton City - new facility.
Other (Housed at CVUSD sites)
- Adult School/Escuela del Adulto (On Palm View site).
- Alternative Education School/Escuela de la Eudcacion Alternativa.
- Esperanza High School/Escuela Esperanza para madres.
Official School District Website
- ^ http://www.cvusd.us/
- ^ http://cvusd.us/modules/locker/files/get_group_file.phtml?gid=2120813&fid=10732021&sessionid=3320e89a91f661f5231c606790ddd648