Citicar

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - View original article

CitiCar
ManufacturerSebring-Vanguard
Also calledComuta-Car, Comuta-Van
Production1974 to 1977
SuccessorComuta-Car and variants 1979 - 1982
ClassBattery Electric
Body style2-door 2-seat
EngineGE Series DC motor; 2.5 HP (early), 3.5 HP, or 6 HP (late)
Battery type: 6 X 6v or 8 X 6v lead-acid
Length2,437 mm (95.9 in)
Width1,397 mm (55.0 in)
Height1,524 mm (60.0 in)
Curb weight591 kg (1,303 lb)
Designer(s)Robert G. Beaumont, President
 
Jump to: navigation, search
CitiCar
ManufacturerSebring-Vanguard
Also calledComuta-Car, Comuta-Van
Production1974 to 1977
SuccessorComuta-Car and variants 1979 - 1982
ClassBattery Electric
Body style2-door 2-seat
EngineGE Series DC motor; 2.5 HP (early), 3.5 HP, or 6 HP (late)
Battery type: 6 X 6v or 8 X 6v lead-acid
Length2,437 mm (95.9 in)
Width1,397 mm (55.0 in)
Height1,524 mm (60.0 in)
Curb weight591 kg (1,303 lb)
Designer(s)Robert G. Beaumont, President

The CitiCar was produced between 1974 and 1977 by a U.S. company called Sebring-Vanguard, Inc., based in Sebring, Florida. The CitiCar and variants were the most produced American electric car until surpassed by the Tesla Roadster in 2011. Sebring-Vanguard was sold to Commuter Vehicles, Inc., which produced similar vehicles (the Comuta-Car and Comuta-Van) from 1979 to 1982.

Contents

History

Inspired by Club Car's golf cart design and partly in response to the 1970s fuel crisis, a company called Sebring-Vanguard produced its first electric vehicle, the Vanguard Coupe (sometimes referred to as the EV Coupe), in 1974. Company founder and President Robert G. Beaumont,[1] working with designer Jim Muir, came up with the CitiCar after this earlier EV Coupe was not an immediate success. This second attempt was still based on a lot of the Club Car's mechanical features, though.

Produced in its plant in Sebring, Florida, the CitiCar was a small wedge-shaped electric vehicle. Early versions had no extra features and can be considered an experiment in minimalist automotive design; it was as basic a people mover as could be bought at the time. By 1976, enough CitiCars were produced to promote Sebring-Vanguard to the position of being the U.S. #6 auto manufacturer after GM, Ford, Chrysler, AMC, and Checker Motors Corporation; but ahead of Excalibur and Avanti Motors. Production of the CitiCar continued until 1977 with about 2,300 CitiCars produced.

Commuter Vehicles, Inc. purchased the CitiCar design, and renamed the vehicle Comuta-Car. Production of this upgraded version began in 1979 and Commuter Vehicles, Inc. produced an estimated 2,144 Comuta-Cars and Vans. At about 4,444 total C-Cars in all its variants produced it still holds the record for most road-legal Post War electric cars made in the United States.

Models

1976 6 hp CitiCar
ComutaCar - Note bumper extensions for batteries
Comuta-Van

All vehicles were built with space frames made from welded aluminum tube and ABS plastic bodies, with solid axles and leaf spring suspension front and rear. Top speeds were about 30 mph (48 km/h) - 50 mph (80 km/h), and range was up to 40 miles (64 km) per charge.

Specifications

The second model of the CitiCar (SV-48):

NOTE: The top speed of any particular C-Car will vary somewhat depending on many factors, including: tire pressure, vehicle weight, alignment, brake drag, windows open/closed, transaxle oil viscosity, temperature, chemistry, age, and condition of the batteries, etc. These factors can make some C-Cars a bit faster or slower than others. Approximate top speeds expected with a Citicar on level ground:
36v – 25 mph (40 km/h) to 28 mph (45 km/h) (original SV-36 – six 6v batteries)
48v – 34 mph (55 km/h) to 38 mph (61 km/h) (original SV-48 – eight 6v batteries)

History of upgrades and changes to the CitiCar by serial number

(Note - This is a compilation of CitiCar factory changes from 1974 to 1977; with some Comuta-Car information added. The information is gisted from the owners and service manuals, and the CitiCar Roster.)

Prior to car #1501, CitiCars left the factory as 36 volt models; most had a 2.5 hp Baldor motor, but a few had the 3.5 hp GE motor.

In December 1974, CitiCar number #1501 (124SR1501) was the first factory-built 48 volt CitiCar. These vehicles were designated as model SV-48, compared to the earlier SV-36. All CitiCars made after this vehicle were produced as 48 volt models with the newer 3.5 hp GE series motor.

(Note - A number of the earlier SV-36 models were returned to the factory or to dealerships in order to upgrade to the 48 volt system.)

CitiCar #1751 (March 1975) saw a number of changes to the assembly line. Here is a list of changes at car #1751

The turn signal switch change required a number of other changes –

In addition, there were a number of technical improvements –

After the changes at car #1751, there was a minor glitch noted in the service manual. Since a lamp was removed from the instrument panel, there were fewer lamps, and the dimmer would not allow the lamps to go all the way off.

Before car #2011 (May 1975), the CitiCar had front disc brakes. Cars #2011 and after had drum brakes.

On car #2080 (May 1975), the parking brake micro switch was moved to a different position, and was actuated by a plastic collar instead of a detent on the parking brake shaft.

On car #2211 (July 1975), a switch was added to the dual master cylinder along with a small PC board behind the dash to warn of problems with brake hydraulics, as well as indicating if the parking brake is engaged. Before #2211, the brake lamp was a parking brake engaged indicator only.

Prior to car #2426 (September 1975) the accelerator was returned to off via a single accelerator spring. Sebring-Vanguard issued a Service Note to modify all previous vehicles to add another spring. After #2426, a dual spring accelerator pedal was standard.

Around December 1975 there was another major change in the CitiCar assembly line. All CitiCars #2781 and higher were equipped with a 5.17:1 ratio Dana/Spicer rear axle and a 6 hp GE motor. There was an optional 'hilly' Dana/Spicer axle with a higher ratio also available for these cars which allowed better hill climbing performance, but at the cost of a slightly lower top speed. These vehicles are also known as 'Transitional' Citicars.

Additional changes with car #2781 -

On car #2842 (December 1975), a micro switch was added to the foot brake to prevent the accelerator from functioning when the brake was pressed.

On car #2854 (December 1975), the horn voltage was increased back to 18v.

Citicar frame numbers are believed to start at 1001, and end around 3300. To date, (December 2011) the lowest CitiCar frame number known to exist is #1040, and the highest Citicar frame number known to exist is #2948.

A number of ComutaCars were produced as 1979 models that shared the VIN arrangement of the Citicar, but ended with an 'A'. These "A" model vehicle frame numbers were interspersed within the Citicar series between 2000 and 2300, but do not appear to duplicate CitiCar production. There is speculation that these frames may have been unsold dealer stock that was included in the bankruptcy sale to Commuter Vehicles, Inc. Model 'A' cars were configured like ComutaCars (batteries in bumpers, Dana axle, heater vents, sliding windows, etc.)

Although production of the CitiCar stopped in 1977, and production of the Comuta-Car stopped in 1982, a Service Bulletin was issued in September 1984 to change the 3-speed contactor setup for a solid state controller.

There are some indications that after January 1982, a few Comuta-Cars may have been sold as home assembly kits to be registered as Home Built EV’s in the buyer’s state.


References

External links