From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - View original article
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (December 2009)|
The Church of God of the Union Assembly is a small Holiness church which was organized in 1920 in Walker County, Georgia by dissidents from the Church of God Mountain Assembly. Its primary numerical strength appears to lie in the North Georgia and East Tennessee areas.
The Founder of the Church of God of the Union Assembly. Inc. began his ministry right after the turn of the century. Reverend Charlie T. Pratt was ordained October 18, 1910 in Gold Bug, Kentucky and immediately his travels to different towns and then to different states.
By 1915 Rev. Pratt traveled Kentucky, Tennessee and Georgia. On February 1, 1915 he established a church in Knoxville, Tennessee. On Christmas Day 1916, the churches that he had established met in a General Assembly at Knoxville, Tennessee. At that meeting, they agreed to come together on the doctrine of the church.
In November 1919, Rev. Pratt and seven other men applied for a church charter in Bartow County, Georgia. The charter was granted and Center, Georgia became the first headquarters for the Church of God of the Union Assembly.
In 1922 the National Headquarters was moved to Dalton, Georgia where it remains today. In October, 1942 the Church was incorporated as a non-profit corporation under the Georgia Corporation Act of 1938.