- Episode 1
Cha Seung-jo, French name Jan Thierry Cha, is the youngest Korean president of a famous luxury brand called Artemis. He believes that women go after luxury brands because of their high prices. His strategy for management is to raise the price of products to achieve increased sales.
Han Se-kyung is a person who tries her best in getting everything and lives by the motto of “Self-achievement generated from hard working”. Though she studies design, because of her family’s financial problem, she doesn’t have the opportunity to study design abroad. And for this reason, not having any abroad studying experiences, she is often rejected by job interviewers. After three years, surprisingly, she is offered a job as a temporary worker at a clothes designing company called GN Fashion. She doesn’t become a designer in the company; she becomes an errand girl for the head lady. When she is delivering some bags once, she bumps into Cha Seung-jo’s car. Cha seung-jo sees a full car of luxury brands and therefore insults HanSe-kyung as a “material girl”. He hides his identity as the president of Artemis and introduces himself as the secretary of the president of Artemis.
Cha Seung-jo goes to see his father, president Cha ll-nam of Royal Company, and in a disdainful tone, tells him that Artemis will not be a shop in the Royal Company’s shopping center. Seeing his son treats him poorly, Cha ll-nam leaves angrily.
On the other hand, Han Se-kyung’s boyfriend wants to break up with her because he thinks he cannot let Han Se-kyung stay with him in poverty. He gives her a famous brand’s bag as their break up present.
At the home of Cha Seung-jo, he shares his recording on the conversation between him and his father previously with his friend/psychological doctor. He takes out a picture of his ex-girlfriend, Seo Yoon-joo, remembering the time in France where he gives up his wealth and family in order to marry her secretly, but she breaks up with him instead because he isn’t wealthy anymore. He decides to collaborate with GN Fashion, which is Seo Yoon-joo’s husband’s company. Seo Yoon-joo, aware of the collaboration, asks his husband, Shin Min-hyuk, if she can be in charge of setting up the dinner between Jan Thierry Cha and him. Shin Min-hyuk agrees.
When Han Se-kyung is delivering a set of pearl ear rings, she loses the Certificate of Authenticity. When she goes back to the shop to look for it, she meets Cha Seung-jo, who insults her again. Returning back to her company, she finds shockingly that the head lady is Seo Yoon-joo, who is her high school rival.
- Episode 2
When Han Se-kyung is about to quit her job, her team leader tells her that the reason she can’t become a designer is that she doesn’t have the taste for fashion, leading her to reconsider her decision.
Han Se-kyung’s best friend, Choi Ah-jung, helps her to find out the life of Seo Yoon-joo in order to know how to become a “Cheongdam -dong daughter-in-law”. She finds out that Seo Yoon-joo actually is called Cha Yoon-joo when she has lived in France because she has married a man there. Han Se-kyung guessed from this information and the words of Shin Min-hyuk, who is the president of GN Fashion, that she is accepted specially by Seo Yoon-joo.
A customer has come to Artemis and complains that one of the bags she bought has detached spots on it. Cha Seung- jo gives her a new bag and then asks his secretary, Secretary Moon, to investigate in what has caused this problem. After investigations, they find out that Han Se-kyung’s boyfriend, So In-chan, has sold uncertified bags outside the stores. After Han Se-kyung hears about this news, she immediately runs to So In-chan’s house. She finds that in his mailbox, there are many collection letters from various banks. Han Se-kyung wants to get help from Artemis’ president. On her way, she meets Cha Seung-jo. Not know that Cha Seung-jo is actually the president of Artemis, they have an argument again and she goes away unhappily.
Cha Seung-jo goes to Seo Yoon-joo’s house because her husband has a dinner appointment with the president of Artemis. She is deliberately shocked when she sees that the president is her ex-boyfriend.
On Han Se-kyung’s side, her father tells her that the family is suffering from money-shortage. They cannot open their bakery anymore and they are under much debt. Hearing this, Han Se-kyung wants to change herself. She takes the piece of information that Seo Yoon-jo has married in France and goes to threaten her. She will not tell others this news only if Seo Yoon-jo helps her to become a “Cheongdam -dong daughter-in-law”.
- Episode 3
Seo Yoon-jo asks her brother, Seo Ho-min, to stalk Han Se-kyung secretly. From the pictures taken by Seo Ho-min of Han Se-kyung, she sees Cha Seung-jo is in it. On the other hand, Cha Seung-jo’s doctor/best friend, Heo Dong-wook, says Cha Seung-jo cannot control his emotions mentally, he can never cry. Secretary moon finds Seo In-chan’s location; he is at his mom’s funeral at the time. Cha Seung-jo happens to witness the scene and he orders the company not to go after So In-chan anymore. Instead, he sends flowers to the funeral house to express his sorrow for his mother. Under the warning of his father that someone is secretly taking pictures of him, he catches Seo Ho-min and warns him not ever to do it again. Cha Seung-jo also moves to the same neighborhood where Seo Yoon-joo is living.
Han Se-kyung has written a letter to the president of Artemis about she has to break up with So In-chan because of their financial situation. Along with the letter, she also puts in her check book, showing that she is willing to pay off the fee for So In-chan with all she has. As Cha Seung-jo is reading the letter, he cries for the first time in many years. He looks in the mirror and says, “You are wrong, Seo Yoon-joo, there is love in the world.” He immediately tells Secretary Moon to cancel his lawsuit against So In-chan, also imagining himself encouraging Han Se-kyung and So In-chan to continue their relationship. When he is about to head out, Secretary Moon brings in gifts from Han Se-kyung. When he sees that the present to Secretary Moon is better than the one to Artemis’ president, he runs out to catch up to Han Se-kyung to ask her why the President has the worse one. Han Se-kyung answers that the one to the President is hand made by her. That actually makes Cha Seung-joo very happy.
Seo Yoon-joo pays an unexpected visit to Han Se-kyung’s house. Her parents welcome her dearly. When Han Se-kyung gets back, Seo Yoon-joo drags her downstairs and gives her package, which inside is a diary. She says this is the key of becoming a “Cheongdam -dong daughter-in-law”, in return, she must keep her promise that she will never tell anyone of her marriage in France.
- Episode 4
Seo Yoon-joo tells Han Se-kyung that in order to go into Cheongdam –dong, she must find herself a “time rabbit” (a person who can introduce her into the upper class circle of Cheongdam-dong). Tommy Hong, the most popular domestic designer in Cheongdam-dong, is the perfect fit for being the “time rabbit”. So Han Se-kyung then decides to work part-time at the restaurant where Tommy Hong usually goes to in order to catch his attention. Meanwhile, Cha Seung-joo, full of tears, tells Heo Dong-wook what he has seen about Han Se-kyung. Heo Dong-wook tells Cha Seung-jo that he thinks he might like Han Se-kyung. Back when Seo Yoon-joo has wounded Cha Seung-jo deeply by leaving him, he changes. He tries to find a way that true love exist, that it does not need to be only maintained through money. Han Se-kyung’s actions makes him believes that love truly does exists, proving that his thoughts are right. He then recommends Han Se-kyung to Tommy Hong. So Tommy Hong invites Han Se-kyung to an upper class dance ball.
During the dance ball, Han Se-kyung meets Cha Seung-jo, still unaware of Cha Seung-jo’s real identity; she asks to see the president of Artemis. Cha Seung-jo makes an excuse of having to answer the President’s phone call and leaves. A rich businessman wants Tommy Hong to tell Han Se-kyung that he wants her as his outside lover. Hearing of this, Han Se-kyung feels she has been insulted; she then pours a cup of water onto Tommy Hong. In return, Tommy Hong pours a cup of soy sauce onto Han Se-kyung. Han Se-kyung leaves embarrassingly under the eyes of all guests. Cha Seung-jo sees Han Se-kyung leaving unhappily when he is about to go home. He catches up with her and asks what has happened. After knowing the whole matter, he goes back to the ball, and pours a cup of soil sauce onto Tommy Hong to revenge for Han Se-kyung.
- Episode 5
Han Se-kyung is not willing to give up her “time rabbit” after what has happened at the ball. She goes to Tommy Hong to reason with him. But instead, Tommy Hong sees her desire, what she wants in her heart.
Seo Yoon-joo goes to see Tommy Hong; she learns that the person who he is trying to pair up with her husband’s sister, Shin In-hwa, is actually Cha Seung-jo.
Disguising himself as Secretary Jin of Artemis’ president, Cha Seung-jo asks Han Se-kyung to be the President’s personal designer. After taking on the job as a personal designer, she takes Cha Seung-jo to her college and asks him to give the President the expression rabbits that she has made for the President. However, while they are getting ready to leave, Cha Seung-jo accidentally drinks a bottle of poisonous liquid. He is sent to the hospital immediately. When his close employees come to visit him, he tries very hard to hide his identity from Han Se-kyung.
- Episode 6
Han Se-kyung’s best friend, Choi Ah-jung, acciedentally sees her diary on how to get into Cheongdam-dong, and Han Se-kyung then confesses to her on what she is planning to do. Choi Ah-jung helps Han Se-kyung to look into Cha Seung-jo, at that time they know as Secretary Jin. Han Se-kyung got suspicious of Cha Seung-jo when Choi Ah-jung tells her that there is no one called Secretary Jin at all in Artemis. Han Se-kyung then asks Cha Seung-jo fiercely on whom he actually is. Under this moment of pressure, Cha Seung-jo makes a lame excuse that he is actually the President’s personal “shadow ninja”.
On the other hand, Tommy Hong finds out Cha Seung-jo’s real identity. He is not only Artemis’ president, but also the son of Cha ll-nam, the president of Royal Corporation. Seo Yoon-joo goes and tells Cha Seung-jo of his possible future engagement with Shin In-hwa, which Cha Seung-jo has no clue about doesn’t even consider it at all.
Cha Seung-jo bumps into his father, Cha ll-nam, and they have a very unhappy conversation. Seeing the saddened Cha Seung-jo afterwards, Han Se-kyung encourages him by giving him a high-five. At the same time, she realizes she is in the danger of falling in love with the man in front of her.
- Episode 7
Han Se-kyung calls Seo In-joo and asks her the answer of the first danger among the three she must encounter if she wants to go into Cheongdam-dong. Seo Yoon-joo replies that it is love. When Han Se-kyung returns home, she sees that her parents are chasing after her sister, Han Se-jin. Han Se kyung learns that her parents want her sister to quit school for a while and help out their shop. At first, Han Se-jin does not want to, but after Han Se-kyung promise to buy her a new bag, she agrees to do it.
Choi Ah-jung and Secretary Moon are dinning out together because Choi Ah-jung wants to gather more information about Artemis’ president. The next day, Choi Ah-jung wakes up and Han Se-kyung asks her if she has said anything unnecessary to Secretary Moon. But Choi Ah-jung cannot remember anything. When Secretary is having a meeting, he seems not to pay any attention to the meeting, but try hard to remember exactly what he says to Choi Ah-jung the night before.
When Han Se-kyung meets Cha Seung-jo, Cha Seung-jo tries to close up their distance. They go to pick costumes together. He also put Han Se-kyung’s shoes on her. When Han Se-kyung tries to stand up, she almost trip just as Cha Seung-jo catches her in his arms. He kisses Han Se-kyung then. Shocked, Han Se-kyung hurries out the door and gets on a bus immediately.
Both Choi Ah-jung and Secretary Moon still cannot figure out what they say to each other. Choi Ah-jung asks Secretary Moon out to have cake together. They both admit that they cannot remember, which make them reveal. Cha Seung-jo is no full of Han Se-kyung, and he is very nervous about it. Cha Seung-jo is going to ask Han Se-kyung out the following day.
Tommy Hong asks for Cha ll-nam’s sponsorship at the upcoming Winter Olympic, using the marriage between Shin In-hwa and Cha Seung-jo.
Seo Yoon-joo is in hospital because she has had an accident. Han Se-kyung goes and visits her. Seo Yoon-joo tells her she must solve her first problem, which is love, or else she can never succeed. Cha Seung-joo meets up with Han Se-kyung. He apologizes for his rudeness the other day for kissing her. Han Se-kyung tells him she does not want this job anymore, unless she meets the president of Artemis. When Heo Dong-wook knows about this situation, he tells Cha Seung-jo to tell his true identity to Han Se-kyung honestly.
Tommy Hong sees Shin In-hwa and asks her to collaborate with him on a project next season. Tommy Hong reassures Shin In-hwa it is no big deal when she says she hears that Cha Seung-jo has a girlfriend.
Seo Yoon-jo goes to see Cha ll-nam, and tells him that she is the Seo Yoon-jo that he once knows.
Artemis is having a party. Han Se-kyung tells Choi Ah-jung that she receives an invitation, and the part dress has already been delivered to her. On the way to the party, both Han Se-kyung and Cha Seung-joo receive a message from Choi Ah-jung and Secreatry Moon. The two of them have remembered what they say to each other on that night. Choi Ah-jung tells Han Se-kyung that Cha Seung-jo, the Secretary Jin that she knows as, is actually the president of Artemis. On the other hand, Secretary Moon tells Cha Seung-jo that Han Se-kyung likes Secretary Jin, which is he himself. Cha Seung –jo is very happy to hear the news while Han Se-kyung is not as happy as Cha Seung-jo is.
- Episode 8
When meeting up with Cha ll-nam again, Seo Yoon-jo advises him to stop the planned marriage. Now at the party, after battling with his own will, he finally gains the courage and goes into the party. He is ready to indirectly confess to Han Se-kyung in his opening speech. But what he does not know is that Han Se-kyung has left the party because of her shock of the news.
Han Se-kyung runs out, crying, writes down what she must do in the future in order to marry a rich man. Seo Yoon-jo comes to visit Han Se-kyung late at night. Back to the party, Tommy Hong sees Han Se-kyung’s phone that she accidentally leaves at the party and picks it up. He goes through her phone and finds out that she is somewhat using Cha Seung-jo. Han Se-kyung pretends she does not know Cha Seung-jo’s real identity. She then writes a letter to Secretary Jin that she likes him. Seeing this, Cha Seung-jo starts to cry because he is so moved, but not realizing the fact that Han Se-kyung has wrote that letter with a purpose. Not knowing the truth, Cha Seung-jo finally tells Han Se-kyung who is really is. Han Se-kyung, already knowing that, pretends to be shocked.
Loosely based on the chick lit novel Cheongdam-dong Audrey by Lee Hye-kyung, the series is written by Kim Ji-woon and Kim Jin-hee, who also wrote historical dramas Queen Seondeok (MBC, 2009) and Deep Rooted Tree (SBS, 2012). The writers wanted portray the splendor and vanity of the so-called "Beverly Hills of Seoul" realistically, saying, "We will question the terms of endearment through the youths living the life of dreams. We hope the viewers will ask themselves: Is wealth everything we need? Are we happy now?".
- Daddy Long Legs (키다리 아저씨) - Baek A-yeon
- Love Like This (사랑은 이렇게) - K.Will
- It's Okay (괜찮아) - Luna
- Rain Shower (소나기) - Every Single Day
- Arcane Alice - Lee Kyung-shik
- Paris - Jung Cha-shik
- In Your Hands - Lee Kyung-shik
- Ivory Smile - Kang Hee-chan
- Blurry Leon - Jung Jae-woo
- Ache - Romanticisco
- Blue Moon - Moon Sung-nam
- Daddy Long Legs (키다리 아저씨) (Inst.)
- Love Like This (사랑은 이렇게) (Inst.)
- Sorry - Lee Seung-hwan feat. Yozoh
- Stop Hurting (그만 아파하자) - Melody Day
- Alice (앨리스) - Every Single Day
- Daddy Long Legs (키다리 아저씨) (Acoustic Ver.) - Baek A-yeon
- Dream - Lee Kyung-shik
- Gypsy - Jung Cha-shik
- Last Memory - Moon Sung-nam
- Fashion Work - Jung Jae-woo
- Farewell - Kang Hee-chan
- 3 and 4 - Romanticisco
- Crying Heart - Go Kyung-chun
- Sorry (Inst.)
- Daddy Long Legs (키다리 아저씨) (Guitar Ver.)
According to AGB Nielsen Media Research, the first two episodes received a nationwide viewership rating of 8.6 percent, both of which were behind its rival May Queen on MBC, while KBS's The King's Dream did not air due to actors exiting because of injuries. The ratings for the third episode rose to double digits of 10.6% but ranked third for the timeslot. However for the fifth episode, the series overtook The King's Dream and was ranked second for its timeslot, and for the ninth and tenth episodes it was ranked first ahead of MBC's new drama A Hundred Year Legacy.
The series finale recorded its highest ratings with a viewership of 16.6 percent nationwide, and an average of 18.6 percent in the Seoul National Capital Area.
|Episode #||Original broadcast date||Average audience share|
|TNmS Ratings||AGB Nielsen|
|Nationwide||Seoul National Capital Area||Nationwide||Seoul National Capital Area|
|1||1 December 2012||8.7%||10.0%||8.6%||9.3%|
|2||2 December 2012||8.3%||10.3%||9.4%|
|3||8 December 2012||11.0%||13.3%||10.6%||10.9%|
|4||9 December 2012||9.7%||12.0%||9.1%||10.1%|
|5||15 December 2012||13.1%||14.5%||12.5%||13.4%|
|6||16 December 2012||10.9%||13.1%||10.2%||11.4%|
|7||22 December 2012||11.0%||10.6%||11.9%|
|8||23 December 2012||10.6%||12.8%||10.9%||12.1%|
|9||5 January 2013||17.6%||19.8%||15.2%||16.6%|
|10||6 January 2013||15.0%||17.1%||14.7%||16.2%|
|11||12 January 2013||15.2%||17.5%||14.4%||15.6%|
|12||13 January 2013||13.9%||16.3%||13.5%||15.0%|
|13||19 January 2013||12.9%||13.9%||15.0%||16.2%|
|14||20 January 2013||13.4%||15.3%||14.4%||16.6%|
|15||26 January 2013||14.9%||16.7%||15.6%||16.7%|
|16||27 January 2013||14.8%||17.1%||16.6%||18.6%|
- ^ Lee, Claire (20 February 2013). "TV families show class divide". The Korea Herald. Retrieved 2013-04-25.
- ^ Hong, Grace Danbi (13 November 2012). "Cheongdamdong Alice Teaser Hints at Fairytale-like Love Story". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- ^ Sunwoo, Carla (24 August 2012). "Moon Geun-young lands role in drama". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- ^ Jeon, Su-mi (20 October 2012). "Moon Geun Young Suits Up in Animal Costume for Cheongdamdong Alice". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- ^ Ho, Stewart (2 November 2012). "Moon Geun Young Makes Cute Faces In Between Shooting for Her Drama". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- ^ Lee, Kyung-nam (29 November 2012). "Moon Geun Young Says She′s Scared to Act". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. Retrieved 2012-11-29.
- ^ a b c d e f g h i "清潭洞爱丽丝". Baidu Baike (in Chinese). Retrieved 2013-03-27.
- ^ Kim, Ji-yeon (29 November 2012). "Park Si Hoo Says Moon Geun Young is So Pretty". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. Retrieved 2012-11-29.
- ^ Sunwoo, Carla (13 December 2012). "Park Si-hoo shouts 100 staff members to snack". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2013-01-27.
- ^ "Park Si Hoo attends a wrap party for Cheongdamdong Alice". Star News. 29 January 2013. Retrieved 2013-02-04.
- ^ "So Yi-hyun Becomes Style Icon on SBS Soap". The Chosun Ilbo. 21 January 2013. Retrieved 2013-01-24.
- ^ Ho, Stewart (4 October 2012). "Kim Ji Suk in Negotiation to Star Opposite Moon Geun Young in Cheongdamdong Alice". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. Retrieved 2012-12-13.
- ^ Hong, Grace Danbi (12 October 2012). "Shin So Yul Becomes Moon Geun Young's BFF in Cheongdamdong Alice". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- ^ Ho, Stewart (9 November 2012). "Moon Geun Young's "Family Portrait" From Cheongdamdong Alice Revealed". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- ^ Oh, Mi-jung (22 October 2012). "AOA's Hyejeong Cast as Moon Geun Young's Little Sister in Cheongdamdong Alice". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- ^ Lee, Tae-ho (22 October 2012). "AOA's Hyejeong to Make Official Acting Debut in Park Si-hoo, Moon Geun-young's Rom-com". 10Asia. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- ^ Ho, Stewart (1 December 2012). "Nam Goong Min to Cameo on Cheongdamdong Alice as Moon Geun Young's Boyfriend". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. Retrieved 2012-12-01.
- ^ Lee, Hye-ji (8 October 2012). "Park Si-hoo to Pair Up with Moon Geun-young in New TV Series". 10Asia. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- ^ Lee, Hyun-jin (28 November 2012). "Rising hallyu star Park Si-hoo to take on 'loser' role". The Korea Herald. Retrieved 2012-11-30.
- ^ Ho, Stewart (11 December 2012). "Baek A Yeon Joins Cheongdamdong Alice OST". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. Retrieved 2013-01-07.
- ^ Ho, Stewart (21 December 2012). "K.Will Croons for Cheongdamdong Alice OST". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. Retrieved 2013-01-07.
- ^ Ho, Stewart (7 December 2012). "f(x)'s Luna Sings It's Okay For Cheongdamdong Alice OST". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. Retrieved 2013-01-07.
- ^ Hong, Grace Danbi (3 December 2012). "Ratings: Sat, 12.1.12 & Sun, 12.2.12: Cheongdamdong Alice Starts Slow Despite Enjoyable Story". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. Retrieved 2013-01-15.
- ^ Hong, Grace Danbi (10 December 2012). "Ratings: Sat, 12.8.12 & Sun, 12.9.12: Running Man's Kimchi Race Brings in the Ratings". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. Retrieved 2013-01-15.
- ^ Hong, Grace Danbi (17 December 2012). "Ratings: Sat, 12.15.12 & Sun, 12.16.12: Yoon Hyung Bin's Proposal Spikes Up Ratings for Gag Concert". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. Retrieved 21 December 2012.
- ^ Hong, Grace Danbi (7 January 2013). "Ratings: Sat, 01.05.13 & Sun, 01.06.13: My Daughter Seo Young Breaks 40% with Lee Jung Shin's Twist". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. Retrieved 2013-01-15.
- ^ Hong, Grace Danbi (28 January 2013). "Ratings: Sat, 01.26.13 & Sun, 01.27.13: Seo Young and Alice Hit All-Time High Ratings". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. Retrieved 2013-01-28.
- ^ "TNMS Daily Ratings: this links to current day-select the date from drop down menu". TNMS Ratings (in Korean). Retrieved 2012-10-31.
- ^ "AGB Daily Ratings: this links to current day-select the date from drop down menu". AGB Nielsen Media Research (in Korean). Retrieved 2012-10-31.