Charice, August 2011
|Birth name||Charmaine Clarice Relucio Pempengco|
|Born|| May 10, 1992 |
Cabuyao City, Laguna, Philippines
|Genres||Pop, R&B, soul, hip hop, pop rock|
|Occupations||Singer-songwriter, actress, The X Factor Philippines judge|
|Labels||143/Reprise, Warner Bros. Records|
|Associated acts||Iyaz, Bruno Mars, Nick Jonas, Oprah Winfrey, Whitney Houston, Celine Dion, David Foster|
Charmaine Clarice Relucio Pempengco (born May 10, 1992), popularly known by the mononym Charice, is a Filipina singer who rose to popularity through YouTube. Dubbed by Oprah Winfrey as the Most Talented Girl in the World, she released her first international studio album Charice in 2010. The album entered the Billboard 200 at number-eight, making Charice the first Asian solo singer in history to land in the Top 10 of the Billboard 200 albums chart.
She released the single "Pyramid" which featured singer Iyaz. It is her most successful single to-date, charting within the top 40 in a number of countries, and debuting on The Oprah Winfrey Show where she sang live vocals. Crossing over to acting on television, she joined the cast of TV series Glee as Sunshine Corazon. She has released a new lead single, "Before It Explodes", written by Bruno Mars, from her international sophomore studio album, Infinity.
In March 2012, she signed on to be one of the four judges of the Philippine version of The X Factor, which began to air on ABS-CBN in June.
Charice was born in Laguna, Philippines. Charice was raised by her single mother, Raquel. To help support her family she began to enter singing contests at age seven, from town fiestas in various provinces to singing competitions on TV. She is said to have competed in almost a hundred such contests.
In 2005 Charice joined Little Big Star, a talent show in the Philippines loosely patterned after American Idol. Eliminated after her first performance, she was called back as a wildcard contender and eventually became one of the finalists. Although she was a consistent top scorer in the final rounds, she did not win the title in the finale and only placed third.
Charice made minor appearances on local television shows and commercials, but essentially fell off the radar after her stint at Little Big Star. It was not until 2007 that she gained worldwide recognition after an avid supporter, Dave Dueñas, under the username FalseVoice, started posting a series of her performance videos on YouTube. These videos received over 15 million hits making her an internet sensation.
In June 2007, Ten Songs/Productions, a music publishing company in Sweden, invited Charice to a demo-recording after producers saw her videos. She recorded seven songs – six covers and an original song called "Amazing". She was then invited to the South Korean talent show Star King on its October 13, 2007 edition, she sang "And I Am Telling You" and a duet of "A Whole New World" with Kyuhyun, from Super Junior.
After watching her Star King performance on YouTube, Ellen DeGeneres extended an on-air invitation to Pempengco to guest on The Ellen DeGeneres Show. She flew to the United States for the first time and performed two songs on the December 19, 2007 episode of the show – "I Will Always Love You" and "And I Am Telling You". Following her American debut on Ellen, she made a second appearance on Star King as the "Most Requested Foreign Act" of the show. On its December 28 edition, she performed Gloria Gaynor's "I Will Survive" and sang a duet with singer Lena Park. In January 2008, she was invited to the Malacañan Palace where she performed for Philippine President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo.
She returned to the international scene when she guested on the April 8 episode of The Paul O'Grady Show in London, England. Her Philippine debut album Charice was released in May 2008. The mini album, consisting of six songs and six backing tracks, was awarded gold certification in the Philippines in October 2008. The album eventually achieved platinum status in 2009. Pempengco appeared on the May 12 edition of The Oprah Winfrey Show in the episode "World's Smartest Kids", where she performed Whitney Houston's "I Have Nothing". After the show, Oprah Winfrey contacted David Foster to see what the music producer could do for Pempengco.
She performed with Foster for the first time as one of the entertainers on the May 17 opening of the MGM Grand at Foxwoods Resort Casino in Ledyard, Connecticut. She made her debut on the international concert stage in Foster's May 23 tribute concert, Hitman: David Foster and Friends, at the Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino in Las Vegas, Nevada. She performed a medley of songs from The Bodyguard as well as her standard, "And I Am Telling You".
A CD/DVD of the concert, including Pempengco's The Bodyguard medley, was released on November 11, 2008. The show was aired several times on PBS and other public television networks starting in December 2008 under the Great Performances banner. One of the singers at the concert was Pempengco's idol, Andrea Bocelli. Bocelli subsequently expressed interest in performing a duet with her and personally invited her to be a guest on his birthday concert "The Cinema Tribute" held on July 20 at the Teatro del Silenzio in his hometown of Lajatico, Tuscany, Italy. Aside from her solo performance, she sang a duet of "The Prayer" with the famous tenor in front of more than 8,000 people.
She was invited to perform for the Feyenoord's Centennial Anniversary in the Netherlands held on September 26. Before a crowd of about 50,000 football (soccer) fans, she sang the team's anthem, "You'll Never Walk Alone." When she guested on the "Dreams Come True" episode of The Oprah Winfrey Show on September 9, Oprah referred to her as "The Most Talented Girl in the World." She sang Celine Dion's "My Heart Will Go On" with David Foster on piano, after which Oprah surprised her with an appearance by Celine Dion via satellite, who invited her to sing a special duet at New York City's Madison Square Garden as part of Dion's Taking Chances Tour.
She performed her promised duet with Celine Dion on September 15. They sang "Because You Loved Me," dedicated to Pempengco's mother. The performance received rave reviews in The New York Post and The New York Times. The duet was eventually featured on the September 19 episode of The Oprah Winfrey Show. She would then perform at the Andre Agassi Grand Slam for Children Benefit Concert at the Wynn Las Vegas casino resort. In November, she and David Foster guested on Good Morning America to promote Foster's tribute album, Hitman: David Foster and Friends. She performed The Bodyguard medley and "I Will Survive."
Move to the United States (2009–2010)
In January 2009, Pempengco performed at two US presidential pre-inaugural events in Washington, D.C., namely the Martin Luther King Jr "Realizing The Dream" gala at the Hyatt Regency Hotel and at the "Pearl Presidential Inaugural Gala" at the Mandarin Hotel. In February she performed at two post-Oscar award events: Oscar Night at Mr. Chow's and Oprah's Oscar After Party held in Kodak Theatre. She debuted a new original song, "Fingerprint" composed by Robbie Nevil and produced by David Foster. In April, she appeared in the season premiere of Ti lascio una canzone, an Italian musical variety show televised from Teatro Ariston in the city of Sanremo. She performed "I Will Always Love You", "I Have Nothing", "The Prayer", and "Listen". Later that same month, she would go on to sing "The Star-Spangled Banner" in front of 57,000 baseball fans during the Los Angeles Dodgers 52nd season home opener at Dodger Stadium.
In May she released her Philippine second album, My Inspiration. The album consisted of 12 tracks, including "Always You" and a cover of Helen Reddy's "You and Me Against the World" performed as a duet with her mother. The album was certified gold in the Philippines within two months after release, and then platinum in December 2009. Also in May, she would again perform at a David Foster and Friends concert held at the Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino in Las Vegas, Nevada. On the May 18 episode "Finale: Oprah's Search for the World's Most Talented Kids" of The Oprah Winfrey Show, she debuted her first internationally released single, "Note to God", written by Diane Warren and produced by David Foster. The single was made available for digital download on the same day and debuted at #24 on Billboard's Hot Digital Songs chart, #44 on Billboard's Hot 100 chart, #9 on the Hot Canadian Digital Singles chart and #35 on the Canadian Hot 100 chart. Later that same month, she was again invited to sing at the Ti lascio una canzone show as a special guest.
She staged her first major concert called Charice: The Journey Begins on June 27 at the SMX Convention Center, SM Mall of Asia, Philippines to a sold-out audience. Her guests included Christian Bautista, Kuh Ledesma and Little Big Star finalists. On June 28, 2009, during her concert, Charice let the news slip about her planned duet with the legendary pop king Michael Jackson. She explained that Michael's lawyer approached her and said Michael chose her to be his special guest on his tour. Michael had seen videos of Charice dancing to his songs and said right away, "I want this kid". When announcing this news, Charice said "Yesterday morning, we were all shocked by the very sad news, the legendary pop singer Michael Jackson has gone away. Only two more weeks I was supposed to be with him on stage. We were going to perform Billie Jean." Pempengco contributed to two Christmas albums in 2009. The first as David Archuleta's duet partner for the song "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas" in his Christmas album, Christmas from the Heart. The second is a compilation Christmas album, A Very Special Christmas Volume 7 in which she contributed her own rendition of "The Christmas Song". She was one of the headlining acts in the David Foster and Friends 10-City North American Tour that ran during the fall of 2009. She made a cameo appearance in her first feature film, Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel, released in North America on December 23. She is also part of the official movie soundtrack with her rendition of "No One" by Alicia Keys accompanied by The Chipettes. Later in the month, she appeared on Singapore Idol's grand finale episode as a guest performer, where she performed two of her signature songs, The Bodyguard medley and "Note to God".
On January 23, 2010, she appeared on Io Canto, a renowned singing competition in Italy. She performed her standards plus an Italian favorite called "Adagio" (made popular by Lara Fabian), in Italian. On January 31 she was featured as one of the musical acts on the NBC Sports program Silk Soy Milk Skate for the Heart, a show designed to raise awareness of heart disease. She performed "Note to God" and debuted two new songs included in her debut album, "In This Song" and "Breathe Out" (later retitled as "Breathe You Out"). The album version and club remixes of her second single, "Pyramid" (featuring Iyaz), from her international debut album were released on February 23, 2010 and March 2, 2010. Her self-titled international debut album with Reprise Records was released on May 11, 2010. On its first week, the album reached #8 on the Billboard 200 Album Chart, making her the first Asian to enter the Top 10. On the same day as part of her album launching, she again made a guest appearance on The Oprah Winfrey Show along with another YouTube-discovered singer Justin Bieber. Pempengco's world-wide promotion of her album was shown in a 12-part mini-documentary 30 Days with Charice, which was filmed by Alloy TV and published at Teen.com. On June 22, Pempengco herself confirmed that she will join the cast of the hit US television series Glee on its second season. Later in the week, she released a promotional single called "Crescent Moon" in Japan. The single is an English rendition of the Japanese song "Mikazuki" by Ayaka.
Charice in her dressing room in one of her shows during her first solo tour in February 2011.
During the inauguration of Philippine President Benigno Aquino III on June 30, 2010, Charice sang the Philippine national anthem in front of a crowd estimated at more than half a million. In July she embarked on an album promotional tour of Asia covering Thailand, the Philippines, Japan and South Korea. While in South Korea, she appeared on the show Star King for the third time. On September 7 the premiere of Glee's second season was held in Hollywood with Pempengco in attendance. Cast in a recurring role, she plays an exchange student from the Philippines named Sunshine Corazon who presents serious competition against lead character Rachel Berry (played by Lea Michele). On November 30 she appeared on NBC's Christmas in Rockefeller Center and performed two songs from her Christmas EP, "Grown-Up Christmas List" and "Jingle Bell Rock", with producer and mentor David Foster. She also performed "The Prayer" with the Canadian Tenors and David Foster on the piano for a Christmas special on CBC Television. In December she became Operation Smile's official Smile Ambassador. She joins other celebrity Smile Ambassadors such as Jessica Simpson, Billy Bush, and Zachary Levi in the organization's global efforts of providing free surgeries to children born with cleft lip, cleft palate and other facial deformities. On February 13, 2011, her very first television musical special Charice: Home for Valentine's was broadcasted on Philippine television's GMA 7 network. From February 21 to February 25, she embarked on her very first solo tour performing in four shows held at three different Zepp music halls in Japan (Nagoya, two Tokyo dates, and Osaka).
Infinity and Asia Tour (2011–present)
It was announced that she began to record new material for her upcoming sophomore international album. "Before It Explodes", her comeback single, written by Bruno Mars, was released on April 18, 2011. The following day after its release, another single, "One Day" was released on iTunes, which was co-written and co-produced by Nick Jonas. "Louder", the second single was released on May 20 which was bundled with another song, "Lost The Best Thing". On September 14, 2011, it was revealed in a Japanese broadcast that she will be singing the theme song to the video game Final Fantasy XIII-2, "New World". Her second studio album, Infinity, was released exclusively in Japan on October 5, 2011.
On January 18, 2012, she launched a ten-city tour across Asia in order to promote the official release of her studio album, Infinity, which is due later in 2012. The tour began in March.
In October 2011, Charice's estranged father, 40-year-old construction worker Ricky Pempengco, was stabbed to death in her hometown in the Philippines, forcing her to pull out of a concert in Singapore. Ricky Pempengco had been at a small grocery store in San Pedro, Laguna, a township south of Metro Manila, when he brushed against a drunk man who became angry and stabbed him with an ice pick in the chest and back, according to the Laguna province police chief. Charice expressed her sadness through her Twitter account about the death of her father by typing:
"I want to thank my fans from around the world for their support and love at this very difficult time for my family and I," she said in a statement. "We are all very sad about this terrible tragedy" and "I loved him and I will still love him," she wrote. "He's still my Dad after all."
Charice has mentioned many times that she looks up to her mother as her top musical influence. A former vocalist in a band, Charice's mother Raquel always practiced with her band and sang everywhere throughout Charice's childhood. Envious of her mother, Charice begged to be taught how to sing. Ever since the age of four Charice began forming her voice to become the powerhouse it is today. Growing up she listened to many types of music but mostly music from Celine Dion, Whitney Houston, Mariah Carey, and Destiny's Child. Aside from her mother, the two performers that Charice expresses much appreciation for are Lady Gaga and Beyoncé. Charice has always said that she looks up to Lady Gaga and Beyoncé for their attitude, fashion awareness, and their beautiful voices. One of her wishes is to work with both of them someday. Mariah Carey, Whitney Houston, Michael Jackson, Celine Dion and Justin Timberlake are some other artists that Charice is a big fan of. She has also mentioned that some artists she would love to work with one day besides Lady Gaga and Beyoncé, are Eminem, Dr. Dre, Chris Brown and NeYo. Charice has performed once with NeYo at the David Foster and Friends Special in Mandalay Bay, Las Vegas back in October 2010. They performed "Earth Song" by Michael Jackson.
In an ABC News interview, David Foster mentioned that she has the ability to mimic other people's voices, which, according to him, is a characteristic of good singers. In a separate interview, Josh Groban stated that Charice's voice is one of the most beautiful voices he has heard in a long time. The New York Post once called her a vocal prodigy for being able to sing 'big songs' even at her tender age. Ryan Murphy, the executive music producer of the hit US television series Glee, said, "When that girl opens her mouth, angels fly out." Charice was recently featured in Oprah's bookazine, “Oprah’s Farewell Celebration: Inside 25 Extraordinary Years of ‘The Oprah Winfrey Show,” and is mentioned to have a "soaring soprano voice". Charice released a new web series "30 Days With Charice", in early 2011 and on its 3rd episode, "Charice On The Road : NYC" her manager Marc Johnston said of Charice's remarkable talent and extraordinary voice, "Vocally, she's probably the greatest female pop singer in the world right now...what other great vocalists are out there that can do what she's doing?". The highest note that Charice has sung in chest voice in a live performance would be a G#5 in the song "One Moment In Time" on Phil Independence Day in 2008, when Charice was only 16. Her videos and songs on YouTube now have over 300 million views altogether.
Awards and recognition
- 3rd Place – Little Big Star Big Division, Season 1, Philippines
- Most Requested Foreign Act of 2007 – StarKing, South Korea
- Most Memorable Moment of 2007 – The Ellen DeGeneres Show, USA
- Pinoy World Class Talent – 20th Year Anniversary of the Music Museum, 2008, Philippines
- Key To The City of Rotterdam – Mayor Ivo Opstelten, 2008, The Netherlands
- Best New Female Recording Artist – Aliw Awards, 2008, Philippines
- First Standing Ovation on the Paul O Grady Show - Paul O' Grady Show 2008, England
- Best New Female Artist 2008 - ALIW Awards : Philippines
- Newsmaker of the Year 2008, 2009 and 2010 – Balitang America, USA
- People of the Year 2008 – People Asia Magazine, 2009, Philippines
- Plaque of Recognition – The Spirit of EDSA Foundation, 2009, Philippines
- Special Citation Award – MYX Music Awards 2009, Philippines
- National Newsmaker of the Year 2008 – Ateneo de Davao University TAO Awards, 2009, Philippines
- Outstanding Global Achievement – 40th Box Office Entertainment Awards (Guillermo Awards), 2009, Philippines
- Best Selling Album of the Year - 22nd Awit Awards, 2009, Philippines
- Best Musical Performance of 2009 – The Oprah Winfrey Show, USA
- Person of the Year for 2009 – Philnews.com, Philippines
- MDWK Magazine's Top Newsmakers of 2009 – Asian Journal's MDWK Magazine, Philippines
- Fun, Fearless Female Award – Cosmopolitan Magazine Philippines, 2010
- 21 Under 21: Music's Hottest Minors (Number 4) – Billboard, 2010 USA
- Icon of Tomorrow – J-14 Magazine, 2010 USA
- BPInoy Award: Outstanding Filipino – Bank of the Philippine Islands, 2010 Philippines
- Best Inspirational or Religious Song (for "Always You") - 23nd Awit Awards, 2010, Philippines
- Number 4 in Yahoo!'s 2010 Most Irresistible Lyrics for 'Pyramid' – Yahoo!, 2010
- Number 7 in Reader's Choice Favorite Album of 2010: 'Charice' - Billboard
- Number 417 in Best Dance Club Songs of 2010: 'Pyramid' – Billboard
- Number 996 in Billboard's Hot 1000 Songs of 2010 : 'Pyramid" - Billboard
- Number 198 in Billboard's Top 200 Album Chart : 'Charice' - Billboard
- Number 94 in Canadian Album Chart of 2010 : 'Charice'
- Number 1 in Billboard's Dance/Club Songs of 2010 : 'Pyramid'
- Number 32 in Billboard's Digital Songs : 'Pyramid'
- Number 99 in European Hot 100 : 'Pyramid'
- Number 4 in Japan Hot 100 Songs : 'Pyramid'
- Number 99 in Canadian Hot 100 : 'Pyramid'
- Number 15 in AOL Music Video : 'Pyramid'
- Number 1 in Yahoo's Music Videos : 'Pyramid'
- Number 59 in Japan Hot 100 Songs of 2010: 'Pyramid' – Billboard
- Best New Artist - J-Wave Tokio Hot 100 Awards 2011, [Japan]
- Female Concert Performer of the Year - 42nd Box-Office Entertainment Awards, 2011, Philippines
- Number 100 in US Weekly's Hottest Glee Guests List : February 2011, [USA]
- Number 79 in Entertainment Weekly - [USA, 2011]
- BPinoy Award - Philippines
- Womanity Award Winner - Entertainment : Female Network's Womanity Awards
- Number 2000 in Hottest Girl Chart : August 2011 issue of J-14 Magazine
- Coolest Female Singer Award : Yahoo OMG Awards Philippines
- Best Major Concert (Female Category) – 24th Aliw Awards, 2011, Philippines
- Entertainer of the Year – 24th Aliw Awards, 2011, Philippines
- Favorite Asian Act – Nickelodeon Kids' Choice Awards 2012, [USA]
- ^ "Charice Pempengco Signs with Star Records". Filipina Soul. May 2008. http://www.filipinasoul.com/2008/05/charice-pempengco-signs-with-star-records/. Retrieved November 18, 2011.
- ^ "Charice a hot item among foreign magazines". GMA Network Inc.. http://www9.gmanews.tv/story/195341/charice-a-hot-item-among-foreign-magazines. Retrieved 10 July 2010.
- ^ "Filipina singer Charice joins 'Glee'". International Business Times. http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/29844/20100622/filipina-singer-charice-pempengco-joins-glee.htm. Retrieved 3 July 2010.
- ^ "‘Glee’ premiere and after-party: We were there". Inquirer.net. http://showbizandstyle.inquirer.net/entertainment/entertainment/view/20100909-291415/Glee-premiere-and-after-party-We-were-there. Retrieved 13 September 2010.
- ^ "Report: Charice to judge ABS-CBN's 'X Factor'". ABS-CBN News. http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/entertainment/03/06/12/report-charice-judge-abs-cbns-x-factor. Retrieved 2012-06-04.
- ^ Meet Charice, the little girl with the big voice at usatoday.com. Retrieved on October 2, 2010
- ^ a b Voice of the Future at thenational.ae. Retrieved on February 19, 2009
- ^ a b c d Teen Singing Sensation at oprah.com. Retrieved on February 19, 2009
- ^ Charice may become America's next top pop star at nydailynews.com. Retrieved on June 27, 2010
- ^ Top 10 defining moments in Charice's career ABS–CBN Corporation. Retrieved on October 21, 2010
- ^ Charice gets recording contract via youtube at pep.ph
- ^ a b Gleeful Charice on music, places, and international stardom at manilastandardtoday.com. Retrieved on July 24, 2010
- ^ Charice Invited in Ellen at pep.ph
- ^ Charice wows Americans in Ellen at pep.ph
- ^ The Ellen DeGeneres Show – I Am Telling You To Watch This at ellen.warnerbros.com
- ^ Official Website Biography at charicepempengco.com. Retrieved on February 19, 2009
- ^ Charice Pempengco pays courtesy call to President GMA today – January 4 at pep.ph. Retrieved on April 17, 2008
- ^ FIL-AM Community News – What's in store for Charice at philfortune.com. Retrieved on March 18, 2009
- ^ Charice Debut Album Reaches Gold Status at abs-cbnnews.com
- ^ Charice dedicates her second album to her mother Raquel at pep.ph. Retrieved on May 6, 2009
- ^ The Oprah Winfrey Show World's Smartest Kids at oprah.com
- ^ Charice with David Foster at Foxwoods at teampilipinas.info. Retrieved on March 18, 2009
- ^ Hitman: David Foster and Friends at davidfoster.com
- ^ Macabagdal, Bobby. "Charice in the David Foster and Friends Concert". http://www.asianjournal.com/aj-galleries/100-aj-galleries/771-charice-pempenggo-in-the-david-foster-and-friends-concert.html. Retrieved 21 February 2011.
- ^ (Italian)"Bocelli: "Verdi, il mio canto patriottico nell'Italia della riconciliazione"". http://www.ilgiornale.it/spettacoli/bocelli_verdi_mio_canto_patriottico_nellitalia_riconciliazione/28-05-2008/articolo-id=264800-page=0-comments=1. Retrieved 21 February 2011.
- ^ Charice Pempengco sings ‘The Prayer’ with Andrea Bocelli at showbizandstyle.inquirer.net
- ^ Bocelli al Teatro del Silenzio di Lajatico con Noa e Charice (Italian) at intoscana.it
- ^ "Italy The Cinema Tribute Concert, July 20, 2008, Teatro del Silenzio, Lajatico". http://www.bocelli.de/en/live/concert2008_3.htm. Retrieved 21 February 2011.
- ^ Wereldgroot aankomend talent zingt op Eeuwfees at feyenoordnet.nl. Retrieved on March 18, 2009
- ^ OPRAH – Singing Sensation Charice Returns at about.com
- ^ Charice earns rave reviews from NYTimes, NY Post at ABS-CBNNews.com
- ^ a b Celine There, Dion That at nypost.com. Retrieved on September 19, 2008
- ^ Emotions With Exclamation Point at nytimes.com. Retrieved on 16-September-2008
- ^ OPRAH – Charice and Celine Dion Sing "Because You Love Me" at oprah.com
- ^ Big Names Turn Out for Andre Agassi's Foundation at lasvegasnow.com
- ^ Singer Charice performs during the 13th Annual Andre Agassi Charitable Foundation's Grand Slam for Children benefit concert at celebritywonder.com
- ^ Meet Charice: Teen With the Big Voice – Girl Has Wowed Audiences With Her Singing at abcnews.go.com
- ^ It's Time to Fall for Your Favorite Music Again – David Foster and child prodigy, Charice at abcnews.go.com
- ^ Asian Americans Share Center Stage at asianfortunenews.com
- ^ Charice back in Manila after performing at Obama's pre-inauguration ball at pep.ph
- ^ Inauguration Events Schedule at huffingtonpost.com
- ^ Charice rocks Obama pre-inaugural balls at asianjournal.com
- ^ Leeza Gibbons Makes a Difference at hotspots.hollyscoop.com. Retrieved on 24-February-2009
- ^ Michael Buble and Charice Wow the Crowd at Mr. Chow's at hollywire.com. Retrieved on February 25, 2009
- ^ Oprah's Oscar After Party: Charice Sings "Fingerprint" at oprah.com. Retrieved on February 28, 2009
- ^ The Other Side of Charice at mb.com.ph. Retrieved on March 16, 2009
- ^ Charice, una voce da vera star (Italian) at tgcom.mediaset.it. Retrieved on 09-April-2009
- ^ Charice captures Italians' hearts anew at abs-cbnnews.com. Retrieved on April 8, 2009
- ^ The Manny Ramirez circus is getting an early start this season at latimes.com. Retrieved on April 14, 2009
- ^ Opening week at Dodger Stadium begins Monday at losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com. Retrieved on April 14, 2009
- ^ Charice draws musical ‘Inspiration’ from mom at showbizandstyle.inquirer.net. Retrieved on 01-May-2009
- ^ a b We are 1 album leads sales in Astrovision/Astroplus at pep.ph. Retrieved on July 7, 2007
- ^ Charice, Platinum Awardee at YouTube.com. Retrieved on December 17, 2009
- ^ Charice wows crowd in Las Vegas charity concert at abs-cbnnews.com. Retrieved on May 15, 2009
- ^ Finale: Oprah's Search for the World's Most Talented Kids on oprah.com. Retrieved on May 18, 2009
- ^ Charice Performs "Note to God" Video on oprah.com. Retrieved on May 18, 2009
- ^ The Billboard's Top 100 2009-06-06 at billboard.com. Retrieved on May 28, 2009
- ^ La stabiese Sonia Mosca questa sera all'Ariston di Sanremo (Italian) at stabiachannel.it. Retrieved on May 25, 2009
- ^ Ti Lascio una Canzone / Dopo Charice Pempengco, domani, 30 maggio la festa finale (Italian) at ilsussidiario.net. Retrieved on June 3, 2009
- ^ Charice would have been part of Michael Jackson's London concert at pep.ph. Retrieved on July 3, 2009
- ^ "Michael Jackson & Charice scheduled in July duet with Michael Jackson". YouTube. 2009-06-28. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ux_KRUuiykI&playnext=1&list=PLD6142C9F6BEB37EB. Retrieved 2012-06-04.
- ^ David Archuleta: Christmas from the Heart at amazon.com. Retrieved on October 1, 2009
- ^ A Very Special Christmas Volume 7 Will Feature All-Star Line Up of Young Talent to Benefit Special Olympics at finance.yahoo.com. Retrieved on October 1, 2009
- ^ BIG Names In Music Unite For ‘A Very Special Christmas 7′ (FULL Track List) at backseatcuddler.com. Retrieved on October 1, 2009
- ^ David Foster and Friends US and Canadian tour dates announced at davidfoster.com. Retrieved on October 3, 2009
- ^ David Foster: 'I love great voices' at today.msnbc.msn.com. Retrieved on October 3, 2009
- ^ Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel: Charice – The Interview at traileraddict.com. Retrieved on December 14, 2009
- ^ Alvin And The Chipmunks: The Squeakquel (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) [SOUNDTRACK] at amazon.com. Retrieved on December 14, 2009
- ^ Charice delivers 'jaw-dropping' performance on 'Singapore Idol' at abs-cbnnews.com. Retrieved on December 28, 2009
- ^ "Charice takes Italy by storm". ABS-CBN News abs-cbnnews.com. ABS-CBN Interactive. http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/entertainment/01/25/10/charice-takes-italy-storm-3rd-time. Retrieved 5 February 2010.
- ^ "U.S. Olympic team members Lysacek, Weir, Nagasu, Belbin & Agosto this Sunday in Skate for the Heart on NBC". Sports Features sportsfeatures.com. Sports Features Communications®. http://www.sportsfeatures.com/presspoint/pressrelease/51008/u.s.-olympic-team-members-lysacek-weir-nagasu-belbin-agosto-this-sunday-in-skate-for-the-heart-on-nbc. Retrieved 5 February 2010.
- ^ "Charice: Breathe Out- Skate For The Heart (HQ)". NBC Sports Figure Skating. YouTube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-IY21FfBF8. Retrieved 5 February 2010.
- ^ "Pyramid". Amazon.com. Amazon.com, Inc.. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0038RTW74. Retrieved 18 February 2010.
- ^ "Charice: A Star is Born". Warner Music Group. YouTube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3jyCf_Id2o. Retrieved 19 March 2010.
- ^ "Justin Bieber and Charice on Oprah Winfrey Show May 11, 2010". About.com. http://top40.about.com/b/2010/04/24/justin-bieber-and-charice-on-oprah-winfrey-show-may-11-2010.html. Retrieved 24 April 2010.
- ^ "30 Days with Charice". Alloy TV. YouTube. http://www.youtube.com/show/30dayswithcharice?s=1. Retrieved 17 February 2011.
- ^ "Charice: Yes, I'm 'Glee-ful!'". Philippine Star philstar.com. Philstar Global Corp.. http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?articleId=587141&publicationSubCategoryId=70. Retrieved 27 June 2010.
- ^ (Japanese)"Crescent Moon on iTunes". iTunes Store iTunes.apple.com. Apple Inc.. http://itunes.apple.com/jp/album/crescent-moon-single/id377809921. Retrieved 24 July 2010.
- ^ "Half a million Pinoys attend Aquino inauguration". ABS-CBN News abs-cbnnews.com. ABS-CBN Interactive. http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/nation/06/30/10/half-million-pinoys-attend-aquino-inauguration. Retrieved 2 July 2010.
- ^ "Charice Blows Away ‘Glee’ Crowd". Manila Bulletin mb.com.ph. Manila Bulletin. http://www.mb.com.ph/articles/276684/charice-blows-away-glee-crowd. Retrieved 13 September 2010.
- ^ "Charice delivered a rocking performance Jingle Bell". allvoices.com. Allvoices, Inc.. http://www.allvoices.com/contributed-news/7490681-charice-delivered-a-rocking-performance-jingle-bell.
- ^ "Singer Charice Joins Operation Smile as Smile Ambassador". http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/singer-charice-joins-operation-smile-as-smile-ambassador-79502157.html. Retrieved 10 April 2011.
- ^ "Smile Ambassadors". http://www.operationsmile.org/about_us/our-supporters/smile-ambassadors/. Retrieved 10 April 2011.
- ^ (Japanese)"昨日の"ゼップ東京"！！！". http://ameblo.jp/charice-pempengco/archive1-201102.html. Retrieved 22 February 2011.
- ^ "iTunes - Music - Before It Explodes - Single by Charice". Itunes.apple.com. 2011-04-18. http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/before-it-explodes-single/id431444848. Retrieved 2012-06-04.
- ^ "iTunes - Music - One Day - Single by Charice". Itunes.apple.com. 2011-04-19. http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/one-day-single/id433011301. Retrieved 2012-06-04.
- ^ "Nick Jonas". Nick J Online. 2011-04-19. http://nickjonline.com/2011/04/video-charice-nick-jonas-one-day-behind-the-scenes/. Retrieved 2012-06-04.
- ^ "iTunes - Music - Louder - Single by Charice". Itunes.apple.com. 2011-05-20. http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/louder-single/id436958283. Retrieved 2012-06-04.
- ^ "Final Fantasy XIII-2 theme songs revealed". Gematsu. 2011-09-14. http://gematsu.com/2011/09/final-fantasy-xiii-2-theme-songs-revealed. Retrieved 2012-06-04.
- ^ "CHARICE LAUNCHES 7-CITY ASIAN TOUR IN MARCH". 18 January 2012. Philippine Daily Inquirer/Asia News Network. http://sfluxe.com/2012/01/18/charice-launches-7-city-asian-tour-in-march/. Retrieved 26 January 2012.
- ^ "Suspect in killing of Charice's father surrenders". Associated Press (Manila, Philippines). November 3, 2011. http://news.findlaw.com/ap/e/1401/11-03-2011/20111103032001_11.html. Retrieved November 3, 2011.
- ^ "Sss :: Charice Q And A". YouTube. 2010-06-14. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRzhx1NYE5k. Retrieved 2012-06-04.
- ^ "Charice meets Mariah Carey". YouTube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRO6bUeGtsw. Retrieved 2012-06-04.
- ^ "The Latest Buzz on Young Filipina Diva: Charice Pempengco | NowPublic Photo Archives". Nowpublic.com. http://www.nowpublic.com/culture/latest-buzz-young-filipina-diva-charice-pempengco-3. Retrieved 2012-06-04.
- ^ "Charice Pempengco - FIDF Gala - Part 2". YouTube. 2009-02-16. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=od4WJ6nykCw. Retrieved 2012-06-04.
- ^ "13.Charice_-_Sep_19_2008__HQ_.mp4". YouTube. 2010-10-23. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZyVxwDV4Y0. Retrieved 2012-06-04.
- ^ "Billboard Interview". Youtube.com. 2010-11-30. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWEUDwVyHx4/#. Retrieved 2012-06-04.
- ^ "Youtube". youtube.com. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cAfKoMy1zY. Retrieved 2012-06-04.
- ^ "David Foster Hit Man Returns Earth Song Charice Neyo". Youtube.com. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWkTdatuTsk/#. Retrieved 2012-06-04.
- ^ Hit Man at abcnews.go.com. Retrieved on December 19, 2009
- ^ Fresh from Oscars after Party success, Charice to enthrall Dubai at gulfnews.com
- ^ "Charice featured in Oprah's bookazine | The Manila Bulletin Newspaper Online". Mb.com.ph. 2011-05-25. http://www.mb.com.ph/articles/327977/charice-featured-oprahs-bookazine. Retrieved 2012-06-04.
- ^ How Charice was cast in Glee at inquirer.net. Retrieved on July 30, 2010
- ^ Buan-Deveza, Reyma. "Charice gets thrill of her life over 1st award as performer". http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/entertainment/11/15/08/charice-gets-thrill-her-life-over-1st-award-performer. Retrieved 21 February 2011.
- ^ "Aliw Awards Night". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A9th4TeRFI/#.
- ^ "Balitang America airs Yearender Townhall Special on TFC". http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/pinoy-migration/balitang-america/01/12/09/balitang-america-airs-yearender-townhall-special-tfc. Retrieved 16 March 2009.
- ^ "Charice is ANC's 'Newsmaker of 2009'". http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/entertainment/12/30/09/charice-ancs-newsmaker-2009. Retrieved 28 December 2009.
- ^ "Charice is 2010 Top Newsmaker of Balitang America". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEfDOOOkAII. Retrieved 13 February 2011.
- ^ Lo, Ricardo F.. "Charice Steals People Night". http://www.philstar.com/funfare/Article.aspx?articleId=432462&publicationSubCategoryId=70. Retrieved 21 February 2011.
- ^ "EDSA Foundation recognizes Arnel Pineda's feat". http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/entertainment/02/25/09/journeys-arnel-pineda-gets-award-edsa-foundation. Retrieved 25 February 2009.
- ^ "MYX Music Awards 2009". http://phil.myx.tv/Default.aspx?tabid=370. Retrieved 27 February 2009.
- ^ "Ateneo de Davao Honors ABS-CBN Shows". http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/video/entertainment/03/15/09/ateneo-de-davao-honors-abs-cbn-shows. Retrieved 16 March 2009.
- ^ Calderon, Nora. "It's official: John Lloyd Cruz and Sarah Geronimo are 2008's Box Office King & Queen". http://www.pep.ph/news/21199/Its-official:-John-Lloyd-Cruz-and-Sarah-Geronimo-are-2008s-Box-Office-King-&-Queen. Retrieved 19 March 2009.
- ^ "Previous AWIT awards winners". http://www.awitawards.com.ph/PREVIOUS%20AWIT%20AWARDEES.doc. Retrieved 21 February 2011.
- ^ "Best Oprah Show Musical Performance - Charice". http://www.oprah.com/slideshow/seriesandspecials/previousshows/pkgscreeningroom/20091102-orig-best-of-2009/15. Retrieved 14 December 2009.
- ^ "Charice Pempengco is philnews.com Person of the Year for 2009". http://www.philnews.com/2009/32a.htm. Retrieved 21 February 2011.
- ^ "Dressed to the Nines". http://asianjournal.com/aj-magazine/55-midweek-mgzn/4049-dressed-to-the-nines.html?showall=1. Retrieved 30 December 2009.
- ^ "Cosmopolitan Fun, Fearless Female Awards 2010". Cosmopolitan Magazine (Philippines): p. 56. May 2010. http://www.cosmo.ph.
- ^ "21 Under 21: Music's Hottest Minors". http://www.billboard.com/features/21-under-21-charice-1004116399.story?sms_ss=twitter#/features/21-under-21-1004116452.story. Retrieved 12 October 2010.
- ^ "Pinoy 2010: The Year that was". Gulf News. Al Nisr. http://gulfnews.com/arts-entertainment/celebrity/pinoy-2010-the-year-that-was-1.737902. Retrieved 31 December 2010.
- ^ Ferreras, Joel. "Charice, brain surgeon hailed as BPInoys". http://thepoc.net/breaking-news/breaking-stories/10380-charice-brain-surgeon-hailed-as-bpinoys.html. Retrieved 21February 2011.
- ^ "Previous AWIT awards winners". http://www.awitawards.com.ph/PREVIOUS%20AWIT%20AWARDEES.doc. Retrieved 28 April 2011.
- ^ Chun, Kimberly. "2010 Year in Review". http://yearinreview.yahoo.com/2010/us_irresistible_lyrics#4pyramid-charice. Retrieved 21 February 2011.
- ^ "2010 Readers' Poll". http://www.billboard.com/features/readers-poll-best-album-of-2010-1004126031.story#/slideshow/825958?decorator=slideshow&confirm=true. Retrieved 21 February 2011.
- ^ "Best of 2010 Dance Club Songs". http://www.billboard.com/charts-year-end/hot-dance-club-play-songs?year=2010#/charts-year-end/hot-dance-club-play-songs?year=2010&begin=11&order=position. Retrieved 21 February 2011.
- ^ "Billboard Hot 100". http://www.billboard.com/artist/charice/bio/1035765#/artist/charice/chart-history/1035765?f=379&g=Singles/#.
- ^ "Billboard Top 200 Album Chart". http://www.billboard.com/artist/charice/bio/1035765#/artist/charice/chart-history/1035765?f=305&g=Albums/#.
- ^ "Canadian Album Chart". http://www.billboard.com/artist/charice/bio/1035765#/artist/charice/chart-history/1035765?f=305&g=Albums/#.
- ^ "Billboard Dance/Club Songs". http://www.billboard.com/artist/charice/bio/1035765#/artist/charice/chart-history/1035765?f=359&g=Singles/#.
- ^ "Billboard Digital Songs of 2010". http://www.billboard.com/artist/charice/bio/1035765#/artist/charice/chart-history/1035765?f=395&g=Singles/#.
- ^ "European Hot 100". http://www.billboard.com/artist/charice/bio/1035765#/artist/charice/chart-history/1035765?f=349&g=Singles/#.
- ^ "Japan Hot 100 Song Chart". http://www.billboard.com/artist/charice/bio/1035765#/artist/charice/chart-history/1035765?f=848&g=Singles/#.
- ^ "Canadian Hot 100". http://www.billboard.com/artist/charice/bio/1035765#/artist/charice/chart-history/1035765?f=793&g=Singles/#.
- ^ "AOL Music Video". http://www.billboard.com/artist/charice/bio/1035765#/artist/charice/chart-history/1035765?f=896&g=Singles/#.
- ^ "Yahoo Music Video". http://www.billboard.com/artist/charice/bio/1035765#/artist/charice/chart-history/1035765?f=898&g=Singles/#.
- ^ "Best of 2010 Japan Hot 100". http://www.billboard.com/charts-year-end/japan-hot-100?year=2010#/charts-year-end/japan-hot-100?year=2010&begin=51&order=position. Retrieved 21 February 2011.
- ^ "Charice beats Bieber, Bruno as Best New Artist in Japan’s Tokio music award". http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/213965/showbiz/charice-beats-bieber-bruno-as-best-new-artist-in-japan-s-tokio-music-award.
- ^ Calderon, Nora V.. "It's official: Vic Sotto and Senator Bong Revilla are the Box-Office Kings and Ai-Ai delas Alas is the Box-Office Queen of 2010". http://www.pep.ph/news/29025/It%27s-official:-Vic-Sotto-and-Senator-Bong-Revilla-are-the-Box-Office-Kings-and-Ai-Ai-delas-Alas-is-the-Box-Office-Queen-of-2010. Retrieved 10 April 2011.
- ^ "Hottest Glee Guests List". http://www.usmagazine.com/entertainment/pictures/glees-hottest-guest-stars-201122/12730.
- ^ "Glee : Ranking The Best Guest Stars". http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,20302134_20442853_20878164,00.html#20851297/#.
- ^ "BPinoy Award". http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/lifestyle/11/26/10/charice-gets-award-being-source-pinoy-pride.
- ^ "Female Network Womanity Awards". http://www.femalenetwork.com/news-features/the-10-inspiring-winners-of-female-networks-womanity-awards.
- ^ "Your Hot List:Hottest Girl". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDOLy_kAkdw/#.
- ^ "Charice wins Coolest Female Singer Award". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25r8XoW0-mc/#.
- ^ a b "Aliw Awards 2011". http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?articleId=750372&publicationSubCategoryId=70.
- ^ "ABS-CBN News: Charice wins at Kids' Choice Awards in US". http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/entertainment/04/01/12/charice-wins-kids-choice-awards-us#.T3gHUhZIXTE.twitter.