From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - View original article
A chapel is a religious place of fellowship, prayer and worship that is attached to a larger, often nonreligious institution or that is considered an extension of a primary religious institution. It may be part of a larger structure or complex, such as a college, hospital, palace, prison, funeral home, church, synagogue or mosque, located on board a military or commercial ship, or it may be an entirely free-standing building, sometimes with its own grounds. Many military installations have chapels for the use of military personnel, normally under the leadership of a military chaplain. Until the Protestant Reformation, a chapel denoted a place of worship that was either at a secondary location that was not the main responsibility of the local parish priest, or that belonged to a person or institution. Most larger churches had one or more secondary altars, which if they occupied a distinct space, would often be called a chapel. Although chapels frequently refer to Christian places of worship, they are also commonly found in Jewish synagogues and do not necessarily connote a specific denomination. Non-denominational chapels are commonly encountered as part of a non-religious institution such as a hospital, airport, university, prison or military installation. In England, where the Church of England is established by law, nondenominational or inter-faith chapels in such institutions may nonetheless be consecrated by the local Anglican bishop.
The earliest Christian places of worship are now often referred to as chapels, as they were not dedicated buildings but rather a dedicated chamber within a building, such as a room in an individual's home. Here one or two people could pray without being part of a communion/congregation. People who like to use chapels may find it peaceful and relaxing to be away from the stress of life, without other people moving around them.
The word, chapel, like the associated word, chaplain, is ultimately derived from Latin. More specifically, the word "chapel" is derived from a relic of Saint Martin of Tours: traditional stories about Martin relate that while he was still a soldier, he cut his military cloak in half to give part to a beggar in need. The other half he wore over his shoulders as a "small cape" (Latin: capella). The beggar, the stories claim, was Christ in disguise, and Martin experienced a conversion of heart, becoming first a monk, then abbot, then bishop. This cape came into the possession of the Frankish kings, and they kept the relic with them as they did battle. The tent which kept the cape was called the capella and the priests who said daily Mass in the tent were known as the capellani. From these words, via Old French, we get the names "chapel" and "chaplain".
The word also appears in the Irish language in the Middle Ages, as Welsh people came with the Norman and Old English invaders to the island of Ireland. While the traditional Irish word for church was eaglais (derived from ecclesia), a new word, séipéal (from cappella), came into usage.
In British history, "chapel" or "meeting house", was formerly the standard designation for church buildings belonging to independent or Nonconformist religious societies and their members. It was a word particularly associated with the pre-eminence of independent religious practice in rural regions of England and Wales, the northern industrial towns of the late eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, and centres of population close to but outside of the City of London. As a result, "chapel" is sometimes used as an adjective in the UK to describe the members of such churches ("I'm Chapel.").
A proprietary chapel is one that originally belonged to a private person. In the 19th century they were common, often being built to cope with urbanisation. Frequently they were set up by evangelical philanthropists with a vision of spreading Christianity in cities whose needs could no longer be met by the parishes. Some functioned more privately, with a wealthy person building a chapel so they could invite their favorite preachers. They are anomalies in the English ecclesiastical law, having no parish area, but being able to have an Anglican clergyman licensed there. Historically many Anglican Churches were Proprietary Chapels. Over the years they have often been converted into normal Parishes.
While the usage of the word "chapel" is not exclusively limited to Christian terminology, it is most often found in that context. Nonetheless, the word's meaning can vary by denomination, and non-denominational chapels (sometimes called "meditation rooms") can be found in many hospitals, airports, and even the United Nations headquarters. Chapels can also be found for the worship of Judaism.
The word chapel is in particularly common usage in the United Kingdom, and even more so in Wales, for Nonconformist places of worship; and in Scotland and Ireland for Roman Catholic churches. In the UK, due to the rise in Nonconformist chapels throughout the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries, by the time of the 1851 census, more people attended the independent chapels than attended the state's Anglican churches.
In Roman Catholic Canon Law, a chapel, technically called an "oratory" is a building or part thereof dedicated to the celebration of services, particularly the Mass, which is not a parish church. This may be a private chapel, for the use of one person or a select group (a bishop's private chapel, or the chapel of a convent, for instance); a semi-public oratory, which is partially available to the general public (a seminary chapel that welcomes visitors to services, for instance); or a public oratory (for instance, a hospital or university chapel).
Chapels that are built as part of a larger church are holy areas set aside for some specific use or purpose: for instance, many cathedrals and large churches have a "Lady Chapel" in the apse, dedicated to the Virgin Mary; parish churches may have such a "Lady Chapel" in a side aisle or a "Chapel of Reservation" where the consecrated bread and wine of the Eucharist are kept in reserve between services, for the purpose of taking Holy Communion to the sick and housebound and, in some Christian traditions, for devotional purposes.
Common uses of the word chapel today include:
|Brancacci Chapel||1386||Church of Santa Maria del Carmine in Florence, Italy|
|Chapel of the Snows||1989||McMurdo Station, Ross Island, Antarctica|
|Chapelle du Saint-Marie du Rosaire||1949||Vence, France|
|Chapelle royale de Dreux||1816||Dreux, Eure-et-Loir, France|
|Contarelli Chapel||1585||San Luigi dei Francesi in Rome, Italy|
|Eton College Chapel||1440–c.1460||Eton College, Eton, Berkshire, England|
|Gallus Chapel||1330–1340||Greifensee ZH, Switzerland|
|Heinz Memorial Chapel||1938||University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA|
|King's College Chapel, Cambridge||1446||Cambridge University, Cambridge, England|
|Lee Chapel||1867||Washington and Lee University, Lexington, Virginia, USA|
|LLandaff Oratory||1925||Van Reenen, South Africa|
|Magi Chapel||1459–1461||Palazzo Medici Riccardi in Florence, Italy|
|Niccoline Chapel||1447–1449||Apostolic Palace, Vatican City|
|Palatine Chapel||786||Aachen Cathedral, Aachen, Germany|
|Palatine Chapel||1132||Palazzo dei Normanni in Palermo, Sicily, Italy|
|Pauline Chapel||1540||Apostolic Palace, Vatican City|
|Pettit Memorial Chapel||1907||Belvidere, Illinois, United States|
|Queen's Chapel||1623||London, England|
|Rosslyn Chapel||1440||Roslin, Scotland|
|Rothko Chapel||1964||Houston, Texas, USA|
|St. Aloysius Chapel||1884||Mangalore, India|
|St. George's Chapel||1348||Windsor Castle, England|
|St. Ivan Rilski Chapel||2003||Livingston Island, Antarctica|
|St. Joan of Arc Chapel||15th century||Relocated to Marquette University, Milwaukee, USA|
|St. Paul's Chapel||1766||New York City, USA|
|St Salvator's Chapel||1450||St Andrews, Scotland|
|Sainte-Chapelle||1246||Île de la Cité, Paris, France|
|Sassetti Chapel||1470||Santa Trinita, Florence|
|Sistine Chapel||1473||Apostolic Palace, Vatican City|
|Slipper Chapel||1340||Norfolk, England|
|Chapel of the Holy Shroud||1694||Turin, Italy|
Media related to Chapels at Wikimedia Commons