Carthage, Cincinnati

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - View original article

 
Jump to: navigation, search
Carthage is a neighborhood of Cincinnati, Ohio.

Carthage is a residential neighborhood located in the Mill Creek valley in Cincinnati, Ohio. Carthage was incorporated in 1861 and then annexed into Cincinnati in 1911. It shares a border with Elmwood Place, Ohio, which, with adjacent St. Bernard, Ohio, forms a city island in the middle of Cincinnati.[1]

History

This area was first settled in 1791 or 1792, when Capt. Jacob White, from Redstone (Brownsville), Pennsylvania settled and founded White's Station in the extreme southeastern section of Springfield Township. White's Station, a small log blockhouse, was attacked by a party of Indians on the 19th of October, 1793.[1]

Hispanic community

Carthage is home to a growing Hispanic community. It has several stores and restaurants such as "El Valle Verde" and others. Carthage is also the home of "Su Casa" Hispanic Ministry, which holds many events and parties. Carthage also holds the annual Hispanic Festival.

References

  1. ^ Program, U.S Writers (1943). Cincinnati: A Guide to the Queen City and Its Neighbors. Wiesen-Hart Press. pp. p. 409.

Coordinates: 39°11′45″N 84°29′0″W / 39.19583°N 84.48333°W / 39.19583; -84.48333