From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - View original article
Carsphairn (Gaelic: An Còrsa Feàrna) is a village in Dumfries and Galloway, Scotland. It is located about half way between Dalmellington and St. John's Town of Dalry, on the A713 road. Carsphairn annual sheep show is held in the village. Cairnsmore of Carsphairn is to the north east of the village in the Carsphairn and Scaur Hills. To the west is the ridge of the Rhinns of Kells in the Galloway Hills.
The village has many features ranging from an ancient stone circle to a nuclear listening post (now disused), and includes local amenities such as a shop, tearoom, a primary school and a village hall.
Carsphairn was made an independent parish around 1627, prior to which it had been a part of the Parish of Dalry, and was created a Free Burgh in 1672 under a charter requested by Robert Grierson of Lag.
Industry is mainly rural, but, historically, a significant mining industry existed, particularly of lead, following the discovery of significant quantities in 1837. By the mid 1850s the mine was producing 1000 tons annually. Mining continued in the area, with peak production between 1906-1914. Following the end of the First World War, the industry collapsed and by 1928 all lead mining operations had ceased.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Carsphairn.|
|This Dumfries and Galloway location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|