From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - View original article
Cargan (from Irish: an Carraigín, meaning "the small rock") is a small village and townland in County Antrim, Northern Ireland. It lies at the foot of Slievenanee in Glenravel – locally known as "The Tenth Glen" along with the more widely known nine Glens of Antrim. In the 2001 Census it had a population of 411 people. It is situated in Borough of Ballymena.
One of the earliest anglicisations of the townland of Cargan is Carrigan. In the 1800s, the village of Cargan was known as Fisherstown after the man who, in 1866, developed an iron ore mine within the village. The ore was shipped to Barrow-in-Furness, at first by horse and cart to the dock, then from 1875 by railway to Ballymena and onwards. The railway closed in 1937.
The Ballymena to Cargan railway line was opened in 1875 and extended to Parkmore and Retreat in 1876. Cargan railway station opened on 1 June 1894, was closed for passenger traffic on 1 October 1930, and finally closed altogether on 12 April 1937. It was on the Ballymena, Cushendall and Red Bay Railway which operated narrow gauge railway services from Ballymena to Parkmore from 1875 to 1940.