Cardinal Mooney High School (Youngstown, Ohio)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - View original article

Cardinal Mooney High School
Cardinal Mooney High School (Youngstown, Ohio) (logo).jpg
Address
2545 Erie Street
Youngstown, Ohio, (Mahoning County), 44507
 United States
Coordinates41°4′27.61″N 80°39′6.30″W / 41.0743361°N 80.65175°W / 41.0743361; -80.65175Coordinates: 41°4′27.61″N 80°39′6.30″W / 41.0743361°N 80.65175°W / 41.0743361; -80.65175
Information
TypePrivate, Coeducational
MottoSanctity, Scholarship, and Discipline
Religious affiliation(s)Roman Catholic
Established1956
PrincipalJohn Young
Faculty48
Grades912
Enrollment613  (2008)
Color(s)Red and Gold         
MascotCardinals
Newspaper'The Beakon'
Yearbook'The Eminence'
Website
 
Jump to: navigation, search
Cardinal Mooney High School
Cardinal Mooney High School (Youngstown, Ohio) (logo).jpg
Address
2545 Erie Street
Youngstown, Ohio, (Mahoning County), 44507
 United States
Coordinates41°4′27.61″N 80°39′6.30″W / 41.0743361°N 80.65175°W / 41.0743361; -80.65175Coordinates: 41°4′27.61″N 80°39′6.30″W / 41.0743361°N 80.65175°W / 41.0743361; -80.65175
Information
TypePrivate, Coeducational
MottoSanctity, Scholarship, and Discipline
Religious affiliation(s)Roman Catholic
Established1956
PrincipalJohn Young
Faculty48
Grades912
Enrollment613  (2008)
Color(s)Red and Gold         
MascotCardinals
Newspaper'The Beakon'
Yearbook'The Eminence'
Website

Cardinal Mooney High School is a coeducational Catholic high school in Youngstown, Ohio.

Contents

History

Cardinal Mooney was founded in 1956 and is run by the Roman Catholic Diocese of Youngstown. In the early 1950s, the Diocese of Youngstown recognized the need to expand Ursuline High School and to build a new parochial high school on the southside. In 1953, Bishop Emmett M. Walsh obtained the present site of Cardinal Mooney High School from the Youngstown Parks Department and began the organization of a high school fundraising committee.

Ground was broken in 1954, and in the fall of 1955 the first freshman class was organized and began attending classes at the old Glenmary convent. Construction of Cardinal Mooney was completed in time for the first day of school in September 1956. A total of 610 students were enrolled as freshmen or sophomores. The school was named (against his wishes[citation needed]) after Cardinal Edward Mooney, a former southsider, who was the Archbishop of Detroit. He had distinguished himself as a scholar and Vatican diplomat.

Father William Anthony Hughes, who recently retired as Bishop of Covington, Kentucky, was named the school's first principal. Red and Gold were selected as the school colors. They symbolized the blood of the martyrs, and the responsibility of all Christians to accept suffering and the Blessed Sacrament.

The initial faculty included sisters from the Ursuline, Dominican, Notre Dame and Vincentian communities, two priests and five lay teachers.

In June 1959 the first graduating class celebrated Baccalaureate Mass at St. Columba Cathedral, and on June 7 graduation ceremonies were held at Stambaugh Auditorium.

Enrollments grew rapidly in the early '60's. By 1960 an addition to Cardinal Mooney was being planned and an overflow of students were once again attending classes at the old Glenmary Convent. The addition opened in 1961. It included an auditorium, seven classrooms and a physics laboratory.

In early 2000, Cardinal Mooney came into possession of the two military annex buildings adjacent to the school grounds. Shortly after obtaining this real estate, construction of the high school's new sports complex was underway. Completed in late 2001, the Cardinal Mooney sports complex yields a well rounded athletic training facility where official OHSAA athletic contests can be hosted. The complex includes a regulation football field, two adjacent practice fields, two tennis courts, a practice putting green, a practice soccer field, two practice baseball fields, a small batting cage, a training pool, and a full length, rubberized track encircling the main football field. The U.S. Army and U.S. Navy annex buildings were left standing during construction, but Rush Boulevard was filled in with top soil and cut off from the rear lot. The buildings, now referred to as the Cardinal Mooney Industrial Arts Center, have since been converted to garages where shop classes can work on vehicles and driving classes can be taught during the summer breaks.[1]

Philosophy of education

Cardinal Mooney is a Catholic high school whose community of students and their families, teachers, administrators, support staff, and alumni take pride in the school's "family atmosphere" and its purpose to live and proclaim the Gospel of Jesus Christ. The high school responds to the needs of its members by providing an enriching environment to help students grow intellectually, spiritually, and personally.

Cardinal Mooney educates students through steadfast traditions of scholarship, sanctity, and discipline—traditions that have been highly valued since the school's inception. Through worship, learning, athletic, and extracurricular activities the goal is personal excellence and integrity.

Students come to Cardinal Mooney from Mahoning and Columbiana Counties. Because they represent diverse ethnic, racial, and economic backgrounds, students are encouraged to foster and promote greater understanding of others. Ultimately, the high school helps serve the needs of the community by empowering students to develop into productive, responsible adult citizens who are committed to service in the name of Jesus Christ.

The school's principal is alumnus John Young. The two vice principals are Mark Vollmer and Joanne Carney Smith.

Ohio High School Athletic Association State Championships

Notable alumni

Notes and references