From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - View original article
Cape Pole is one of only two populated towns on Kosciusko Island, the other being Edna Bay, and has both year-round and seasonal residents. It was a thriving logging camp from 1954 until it was shut down by a federal court ruling in 1978.
February 24, 1944 Coast Guard Cutter McLane delivers mail to Cape Pole while on Cape Decision Patrol 
1946 Beginnings of Forest Entomology in Alaska: A Spruce Beetle Outbreak on Kosciusko Island Sets the Stage
February 18, 1948 Coast Guard rescue plane that was forced down during a mercy flight from Ketchikan to Cape Pole in 1948 
1949 The Cape Pole post office was established in 1949 and discontinued in 1953 (Ricks, 1965, p. 9)
1954 L.O.G. Logging established the Cape Pole logging camp in approximately 1954. The company was owned by Lawrenson, Olson and Gibbons. Lawrenson was in charge of the cutters, Ole Olson handled the logging operation. Cape Pole was one of many logging camps in the Tongass National Forest.
1962 Cape Pole is a logging community with a population of about 100 (Alaska Sportsman, 1962, no. 12, p. 28). there was a camp in both Edna Bay and Cape Pole. The timber fallers also known as cutters were mainly based out of Edna Bay while the logging operations were based mainly out of Cape Pole.
1965/1966 L.O.G Logging sold to Alaska Lumber & Pulp. Howard Clark became manager, Matt Phillips became timekeeper at approximately that time also.
Lawrenson's wife Stella was a nurse and handled injuries that did not require a doctor. In those days the trip to town to see a doctor was a major undertaking, so most medical issues were handled by Stella.
It is not entirely clear when the earliest residents of Cape Pole first moved there, but there were people with private property before and after the logging camp times.
Cape Pole was an isolated community in Southeast Alaska. Travel to and from the community was almost exclusively by seaplane mainly out of Ketchikan, Alaska.
The school at Cape Pole started out as a one room school. During its high point, it was a two room school with about 30 students. At the end it went back to a one room school.
Audrey Gumm wife of Phil Gumm (Forest Service Employee) was first school teacher
Verdie Bowen - Wasilla Councilman 2004
Cape Pole is located at Coordinates: (55.9650, -133.7933)