Calvary Cemetery is the largest Roman Catholiccemetery in Cleveland, and one of the largest in Ohio. It is operated by the Catholic Cemeteries Association and was dedicated on November 26, 1893. The original purchase of land was approximately 105 acres (42 ha). There are now over 305,000 interments and the cemetery sprawls over more than 300 acres (120 ha). Calvary is located on the border between Cleveland and Garfield Heights, Ohio.
The first burial was on November 30, 1893. John and Catharine Hogan, husband and wife, who died one day apart, were buried in section 10. The largest number of burials in one day was 81 on November 4, 1918, during the Influenza (Spanish Flu) pandemic. Total number of interments that month was 985.
The cemetery is bisected by railroad tracks, necessitating a tunnel to get from one side to the other.
Kathleen Daly Chapman McMahon (1893–1926), and Rae Marie Chapman (1921–1929), the widow and daughter of Ray Chapman, the only Major League Baseball player to die as the result of being hit by a pitched ball, are buried together here. He is buried in Cleveland's Lake View Cemetery.