Bucyrus-Erie was an American surface and underground mining equipment company. Founded as Bucyrus Foundry and Manufacturing Company in Bucyrus, Ohio, in 1880, Bucyrus moved company headquarters to South Milwaukee, Wisconsin in 1893. In 1927, Bucyrus merged with the Erie Steam Shovel Company to form Bucyrus-Erie.
Renamed Bucyrus International, Inc. in 1997, it was purchased by Caterpillar Inc. in a US$8.8 billion transaction that closed on July 8, 2011. At the time of its acquisition, the Bucyrus product line included a range of material removal and material handling products used in both surface and underground mining.
The company changed its name to Bucyrus-Erie in 1927 when it merged with the Erie Steam Shovel Company, the country's leading manufacturer of small excavators at that time.
In 1930 Bucyrus joined with the English firm of Ruston & Hornsby Ltd Lincoln, England, to form the Ruston-Bucyrus Ltd firm in England. Ruston & Hornsby Ltd were the pre-eminent manufactures of Steam excavators at the time, having started in 1874; the merger gave the company access to previously unavailable world markets.
Ruston & Hornsby Ltd sold their share in Ruston-Bucyrus in 1985, during a period of recession and consolidation in the Mining industry, as they divested themselves of non-core businesses to survive.
For a time in the 1980s the company was known as Becor Western following its merger with Western Gear.
On February 22, 1993, Bucyrus-Erie filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy, and remained under bankruptcy protection until December 14, 1994.
The company took its current name, Bucyrus International, Inc. in 1997.
On May 4, 2007, Bucyrus completed the acquisition of the DBT Group, a Lunen, Germany based manufacturer of underground mining equipment, from RAG Coal International AG of Herne, Germany. Bucyrus acquired DBT because DBT's underground mining equipment complemented Bucyrus' surface mining products.
In February 2010, Bucyrus International completed a US $1.3 billion acquisition of the mining equipment division of Terex Corporation.
On November 15, 2010, Bucyrus agreed to be acquired by Caterpillar in a transaction valued at US$8.6 billion. Caterpillar said it intended to create a new mining business headquarters at the former Bucyrus headquarters location in South Milwaukee. The transaction closed in mid-2011.
Bucyrus owned the Bucyrus, Bucyrus-Erie, Marion, and Ransomes & Rapier brands and provided OEM parts and support services for machinery which bears those brands.
4250-W walking dragline, also known as Big Muskie, was built in 1969, with a 220-cubic-yard (170 m3) bucket and weighed 14,400 tons[vague]. Big Muskie's 220-cubic-yard (170 m3) bucket is currently sitting outside McConnellsville, Ohio in a small park dedicated to coal mining.
Two 3850-B stripping shovels built in 1962 and 1964, with bucket capacities of 115 and 145 cu yd (88 and 111 m3).
The 2570-W or WS, one of B-E's most popular dragline models with bucket capacities between 120 and 160 cu yd (92 and 122 m3).
The Silver Spade and its twin the GEM of Egypt, 1950B Stripping shovels, was built in 1965 and 1967 respectively, with a bucket capacity of 80 m3 (100 cu yd).The Silver Spade was scrapped in 2007.Many videos can be seen of it working thru Bennetshovel on Youtube.com
The Stripping shovel Big Brutus a 1850-B was built in 1962, with a 90 yard bucket. This is known as Big Brutus and currently sits in West Mineral, Kansas as the huge centerpiece of a museum.
The 1250-B/W and 1260-W walking draglines, with buckets between 33 and 45 cu yd (25 and 34 m3).
The 5-W walking dragline, carrying a 5-cubic-yard (3.8 m3) bucket and produced until around 1970;
"Bucyrus-Erie Company 1994 Form 10-K". getfilings.com. 1994-12-31. Archived from the original on 2010-11-19. Retrieved 2010-11-19. "Second Amended Joint Plan of Reorganization of B-E Holdings, Inc. and Bucyrus-Erie Company under chapter 11 of the Bankruptcy Code, as modified December 1, 1994 (the "Amended Plan")."
"Bucyrus International" (PDF). Syncrude Newsletter. Bucyrus International, Inc. 2006-03-16. Archived from the original on 2010-11-19. Retrieved 2010-11-19. "In 1880 Daniel P. Eells brought together relatives and business associates with the intention of forming a new manufacturing facility."