Henry Stratton, brother-in-law of John Bryant, co-founder of the school
John Collins Bryant, Henry Beadman Bryant, and Henry Dwight Stratton were early graduates of Folsom Business College in Cleveland, Ohio, which they later purchased from the owner of the school, Ezekiel G. Folsom, who founded his school in 1848. Folsom was a former student of Platt Rogers Spencer who developed a standardized style of writing useful in business transactions before the invention of the typewriter. Platt Spencer also played a role in the formation of Bryant & Stratton College serving as a partner and teacher at the school which originally focused on bookkeeping and standardized penmanship. Bryant & Stratton College was organized in 1854 to provide practical workplace education, and was formerly known as Bryant and Stratton Business Institute.
In addition to purchasing the Cleveland school, Bryant and Stratton established a number of business schools that operated under the name of Bryant & Stratton & Co's chain of International Commercial Colleges in most major US cities. By 1864 as many as 50 schools existed. Tuition was $40 for an entire program of study.
^Rockefeller took a ten week business course at Folsom's Commercial College, where he studied bookkeeping, which was a franchise of Bryanmt & Stratton. See Ellen Greenman Coffey, Nancy Shuker, John D. Rockefeller, empire builder (Silver Burdett, 1989), pg. 18, 30.
^In about 1879, Ford studied bookkeeping at Goldsmith, Bryant & Stratton Business College in Detroit, which was at the time part of the Bryant & Stratton College system. See Steven Watts, The People's Tycoon: Henry Ford and the American Century (Random House, Inc., 2006), pg. 28 Found at Google Books.